GarryTheMinifig

[MOC] Vintage Flatbed

My first mundane not-sci-fi-or-fantasy MOC, an old-fashioned flatbed truck of nonspecific make, year and model. 

23552919778_b792f515da_z.jpg

Initial concept for it was somewhat more specific—something along the lines of a 50s Chevy—but the design quickly mutated wherever available parts (and building inexperience) necessitated, into the odd copyright-dodging Frankenstein's Monster you see before you.

36735191093_2235d791a7_z.jpg

For instance, trucks of the era didn't typically have such prominent bambi-bashers.  Okay, this bit wasn't really necessary, I just felt like it needed a bit of ruggedness. 

37374457662_f1232f5063_z.jpg

Still managed some decently evocative shaping, I thought. 

(also the mirrors can of course be adjusted, as per my moving joints rule)

37357815726_8ea7435891_z.jpg

It's generally good practice to tie things down, though.  Oh well, Garry is usually a careful driver.

37374411462_7ff6732fe8_z.jpg

Now it's actually flat, sans railings and cargo.  (but the most important railing remains: the guard that keeps Garry's perilously unsecured cargo from crashing through the rear window and into his head.  If you've ever wondered what those were for on real trucks, now you know)

23552947068_72098821e7_z.jpg

Underside, not much to see here.

36735159163_e0c731018c_z.jpg

Interior, with an old printed piece for dashboard/instruments.  The most LEGO kind, really.

23552958998_7137385f94_z.jpg

Garry's buddies relax after a long day of... hauling crates full of random grey machine-looking parts to the mill, or whatever it is you use flatbed trucks for. I'm not much of a Town person.

That's all for now! Full gallery can be found here.

Looks good! I really like the shaping and use of colours. Very proper!:classic: The mounts for the mirrors are a bit big for my linking though.

On 9/30/2017 at 1:35 PM, deraven said:

Very nice truck! I like the flip-up cab roof for easy minifig access.  Nicely done!  :classic:

Thank you!

On 9/30/2017 at 9:02 PM, Littleworlds said:

Looks good! I really like the shaping and use of colours. Very proper!:classic: The mounts for the mirrors are a bit big for my linking though.

Thanks!  I was trying to figure out some way of replicating the wide-set towing mirrors a lot of trucks have, though there are probably way more elegant solutions.