ds760

75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017 MOD/MOC

7 hours ago, Reaper said:

Looks great! Is it possible to do the same with the two rear seats, I think that would look much better.

The problem is, that the cockpit is not correctly minifigure-sized... It is almost impossible to sit four minifigs properly. The seats are placed in front as they could be and behind them there isn't enough space for the second chairs. The only way is if there was at least one more stud space at the back, but to achive this, the whole cockpit should be rebuilt.

Edited by ClassicLook

On 3/6/2019 at 4:23 AM, ClassicLook said:

The problem is, that the cockpit is not correctly minifigure-sized... It is almost impossible to sit four minifigs properly. The seats are placed in front as they could be and behind them there isn't enough space for the second chairs. The only way is if there was at least one more stud space at the back, but to achive this, the whole cockpit should be rebuilt.

Ok got it.

@Lock, I've really enjoyed poring over your documented mods, and I'm wondering if you saved your LDD file from the first attempt at filling out the rear compartments? I just like the look of it - not to contend with movie-correctness.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, ClassicLook said:

It can be done.  I do like your seats better than my regular ones... I can see how those would be problematic for the rear seating.

45554467145_d4b4ecb48a_b.jpg

21 hours ago, HarpoonMilitia said:

@Lock, I've really enjoyed poring over your documented mods, and I'm wondering if you saved your LDD file from the first attempt at filling out the rear compartments? I just like the look of it - not to contend with movie-correctness.

I’ll have a look at it but I don’t think I’ve kept it. You can see some details in this article: http://www.lemonskin.net/io/10890 (there’s a translation button on the bottom left of the page).

Anyway I’m currently working on the 4th room and, for the occasion, I think I’ll change the other rooms as well, because I’m still not satisfied. :)

51-E9915-C-4-AD4-4-A61-8-E93-8701-D72749

Edited by Lock

Just a quick update on my room reorganization.

I was thinking the hyperspace engine, the heart of the Falcon, should have more importance, so I've built a new bedroom and added a bit of mechanical and pneumatic greebling all around it:

New-room-01.png

New-room-02.png

New-room-03.png

I'll share the project file once I'll reach a final stage I'll be happy about. :)

Edited by Lock

1 hour ago, Lock said:

I was thinking the hyperspace engine, the heart of the Falcon, should have more importance, so I've built a new bedroom and added a bit of mechanical and pneumatic greebling all around it:

I'll share the project file once I'll reach a final stage I'll be happy about. :)

Looks great!

7 hours ago, Lock said:

@HarpoonMilitia Good news, I've found the file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdyrxbn0crk4wfb/75192 AMM - 2017-11.lxf?dl=0

Just keep in mind it's an old one and, since I've modified some parts here and there when I've realized it (to fit it better) without updating the project, it could require some adjustment.

yeahhh!!! thanks for looking! i love the attention you’re giving the hyperdrive and i can’t wait to see what you put above the buzzer cannon. 

out of curiosity, have you tried mounting your modded falcon to an @efferman stand?

12 hours ago, Lock said:

I’ll have a look at it but I don’t think I’ve kept it. You can see some details in this article: http://www.lemonskin.net/io/10890 (there’s a translation button on the bottom left of the page).

Anyway I’m currently working on the 4th room and, for the occasion, I think I’ll change the other rooms as well, because I’m still not satisfied. :)

51-E9915-C-4-AD4-4-A61-8-E93-8701-D72749

If you want to keep the drop down shooter trying to mod it is almost useless. You can make some amazing things there though like the transfer room from the cargo bin. At the website it would be room 10-11, just depends on how you redesign the ship.

7 hours ago, Lock said:

New-room-01.png

New-room-02.png

New-room-03.png

If you want to have the walls of the hall to have plates all the way what you could do is to put the floor plates put 1X1 tiles next to the flat floor tiles and then put the walls like I did in my extremely modded Millennium Falcon.

Smoothed floor in bottom right quadrant of the Millennium Falcon

This as an example. If you want to of course. 

15 hours ago, HarpoonMilitia said:

yeahhh!!! thanks for looking! i love the attention you’re giving the hyperdrive and i can’t wait to see what you put above the buzzer cannon.

This is a superquick preview:

4th-room.png

10 hours ago, Jerry McGlade said:

If you want to keep the drop down shooter trying to mod it is almost useless. You can make some amazing things there though like the transfer room from the cargo bin. At the website it would be room 10-11, just depends on how you redesign the ship.

In my mod (it was originary inspired by Blocks Mag ones) the drop down shooter is stil perfectly working. I've just left it "outside" of the room and covered it with one of my black doors.

15 hours ago, HarpoonMilitia said:

out of curiosity, have you tried mounting your modded falcon to an @efferman stand?

Efferman's stand was one of the options I've took in consideration when I was looking for a place to display my falcon. At the end I've found a nice coffee table and I went in that direction.

If you're curious here's all the long story about it: http://www.lemonskin.net/io/10482

10 hours ago, Jerry McGlade said:

If you want to have the walls of the hall to have plates all the way what you could do is to put the floor plates put 1X1 tiles next to the flat floor tiles and then put the walls like I did in my extremely modded Millennium Falcon.

I like your approach, that's totally different from mine, but I don't think it would fit well the style of my rooms. I don't dislike studs as floor, it keeps the model very Legoish. :)

Edited by Lock
darn typos. :)

On 3/10/2019 at 2:54 AM, Tuskano said:

It can be done.  I do like your seats better than my regular ones... I can see how those would be problematic for the rear seating.

Hi,

I like your version as well. It is funny, that there are almost as many versions of the cockpit as many members here! Everyone creates something special. However I've found that the optimal lenght of the modyfied cockpit is 7 studs. There's 2 studs for the control panels and some kind of steering stuff then comes the 2x2 seats in two rows. The main differencies between the desigs are the placement of the seats.

My chairs needed a tile base because of it's design, so I had to raise them 1 plate higher and therefore Chewie didn't have enough space. To solve this, I moved the chairs 1/2 stud to the middle. That's my compromise to have this chair design and colour, I didn't want to display C-3PO and Leia anyway... 

I can see that with regular chairs, you have to place the back ones 1/2 stud forward, otherwise you can't push the whole thing to the back of the cockpit. I've seen version, that uses "2x2 Modified Plates with Groove and 1 Stud in Center (Jumper)" for this purpose. I can see on your pictures too, that the 5.5 Technic axle locates one plate lower, so you have more place for the figs I guess.

Anyway, can you place Chewie into the front seat in this version? 

Edited by ClassicLook

@ClassicLook Your cockpit version is without doubt the best looking one. I'm still not sure about cloches (especially because they take one precious studs slot) but the seats and the back part, that simulates the "backrests", are gorgeous.

I had a quick look at my version and, simply changing the front seats, I was able to find a solution where everyone can sit and cockpit glass can be closed:

New-cockpit-1.png

New-cockpit-2.png

For the moment I'm leaving the black seats because, when minifig are there, they can't be seen much (and backrests still look great), but without minifig it would look a bit too empty.

But you can easily switch them with 2x2 tan plate brick:

New-cockpit-3.png

New-cockpit-4.png

I guess we're not very far from a final, satisfaction version of this darn cockpit! :)

Edited by Lock
Guess what? Yeah, typos. :P

1 hour ago, Lock said:

I'm still not sure about cloches (especially because they take one precious studs slot) but the seats and the back part, that simulates the "backrests", are gorgeous.

But you can easily switch them with 2x2 tan plate brick:

I guess we're not very far from a final, satisfaction version of this darn cockpit! :)

We are almost there! :-)

It was a lucky coincidence to transform the back part to "backrests". At the beginning I wanted to simulate a frame to the entrance of the cockpit (like the other hallway simulation in the Falcon). That's why I switched the 2x2 DBG corner plates to dark tan. This was my source material:

46628617854_f10259f0d5_b.jpg43253_1 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

I didn't want to emphasize it, that's why I made it in dark tan.

Afterwards, when I looked back the pictures, I realized, that it looks like seat backrests... That way, it can be used to create the back seats, like you did there.

Edited by ClassicLook

14 minutes ago, ClassicLook said:

It was a lucky coincidence to transform the back part to "backrests". At the beginning I wanted to simulate a frame to the entrance of the cockpit (like the other hallway simulation in the Falcon). That's why I switched the 2x2 DBG corner plates to dark tan. This was my source material:

Afterwards, when I looked back the pictures, I realized, that it looks like seat backrests... That way, it can be used to create the back seats, like you did there.

Oh, I see. :)

I've never seen this pic, it's a great source of inspiration but I think that, after all, what I call "backrests" could be interpreted the way we prefer. For sure they make a great contrast for background (I didn't realize it was dark tan in your pics, I used tan).

I think I have to work a bit more on the panels between seats. I've made a very simplified version, but maybe it can get some more love.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:27 AM, ClassicLook said:

Hi,

I like your version as well. It is funny, that there are almost as many versions of the cockpit as many members here! Everyone creates something special. However I've found that the optimal lenght of the modyfied cockpit is 7 studs. There's 2 studs for the control panels and some kind of steering stuff then comes the 2x2 seats in two rows. The main differencies between the desigs are the placement of the seats.

My chairs needed a tile base because of it's design, so I had to raise them 1 plate higher and therefore Chewie didn't have enough space. To solve this, I moved the chairs 1/2 stud to the middle. That's my compromise to have this chair design and colour, I didn't want to display C-3PO and Leia anyway... 

I can see that with regular chairs, you have to place the back ones 1/2 stud forward, otherwise you can't push the whole thing to the back of the cockpit. I've seen version, that uses "2x2 Modified Plates with Groove and 1 Stud in Center (Jumper)" for this purpose. I can see on your pictures too, that the 5.5 Technic axle locates one plate lower, so you have more place for the figs I guess. 

Anyway, can you place Chewie into the front seat in this version? 

Thank you!  Yes, I think that the 7 studs at least maximizes almost the whole area.  Yes, Chewie fits.  Although for a secure fit, I would replace the brown seat with a 2x2 flat piece that I normally have stored on the bottom of the whole cockpit attachment.  And he has room not to bump his head.  I've been thinking of changing mine to use 2x2 modified plates for the rear seating as I instead use the 1x2 modified.  When I modded mine to include lights I recently found that the rear people would bump their heads on the place that I built to help dim the light more to not turn the cockpit into a huge lightbulb.

I am still messing around with the controls on this one I think.  No matter what I do I am never satisfied.  Although it seems like with the smaller Falcons, modding those seemed a lot easier.

28048088198_7c43a24e64_b.jpg

16 hours ago, Tuskano said:

I am still messing around with the controls on this one I think.  No matter what I do I am never satisfied.  Although it seems like with the smaller Falcons, modding those seemed a lot easier.

My version isn't perfect as well, but I'm satisfied with the result, expecially with the controls, for now I'm leaving it.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:53 AM, Lock said:

Efferman's stand was one of the options I've took in consideration when I was looking for a place to display my falcon. At the end I've found a nice coffee table and I went in that direction.

If you're curious here's all the long story about it: http://www.lemonskin.net/io/10482

I had wanted to attempt something similar, but young kids and bulky furniture lost out to economizing display space for the time being. I’m working (in stud.io) on a full-size display/table that will end up as (depending on part cost, etc.) either the space slug’s inside to make use of the Empire Han/Leia/Mynock or the interior of Han’s enormous salvage ship from TFA and breaking the bank on a full-on diorama. And there’s the third option of the conversation that must have happened when Lando handed the Falcon back over to Han after RotJ. Indecision is my forté, evidently. I just wanted to avoid doing something that had already been attempted and well-documented.

Some additional experiments with the cockpit panels and handles.

Prints are limited by LDD ones, maybe there's something better to choose from.

I'm not sure if these solution fits inside the cones, as LDD still doesn't have the correct Falcon's one. But I think it's a small improvement from my old one.

Cockpits.png

Any suggestion?

Edited by Lock

23 hours ago, Lock said:

Some additional experiments with the cockpit panels and handles.

Prints are limited by LDD ones, maybe there's something better to choose from.

I'm not sure if these solution fits inside the cones, as LDD still doesn't have the correct Falcon's one. But I think it's a small improvement from my old one.

Any suggestion?

Hi, I like the third one, but I find these bucket handles too close to the minifig's torso. I would prefer the pneumantic T pipe on the first version.

On 3/15/2019 at 6:19 PM, ClassicLook said:

Hi, I like the third one, but I find these bucket handles too close to the minifig's torso. I would prefer the pneumantic T pipe on the first version.

I fear the pneumatic solution makes the panels too high, as I had to fit a 1x1 brick with hole. Not sure if the top cone will fit.

Edited by Lock

On 3/11/2019 at 12:07 PM, ClassicLook said:

We are almost there! :-)

46628617854_f10259f0d5_b.jpg43253_1 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

I would go onto the website called RPF (just type "therpf") to go see some more precise photos of the cockpit.

Hello! This is my first time posting anything on this forum but i've been following it for a while.

I thought i'd share my MOD for the lower canon as i've not seen anything done like it before. I've made a basic mechanism to raise/lower it and then another to rotate the gun around. Took a while to work out but pleased with the result!

I've made a video to show it in action -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfItmfnpzU8&feature=youtu.be

Would love to hear what you all think of it/if you had ideas to improve. Thanks!

40460614363_07f2ba2a4e_c.jpg3- Overview by Kirton Bricks, on Flickr

46703161094_95c0806bc2_c.jpg6 - Mechanism by Kirton Bricks, on Flickr

46511124975_3eece3f3f0_c.jpg8 - Mechanism by Kirton Bricks, on Flickr

40460632213_e6fc279939_c.jpg1 - Dial by Kirton Bricks, on Flickr