Terrasher

[MOC] Rolls Royce Silver Cloud II (Update 1 added)

I love building cars. They're diverse, beautiful, and small enough to be built from spare pieces and scratch.

So I went ahead and built a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud II. It's fancy, it's sleek, it's a bit of a challenge (just the right amount) and it looks fantastic on display.

W8sIU3b.jpg

cBYzQF8.jpg2WaHbNX.jpg

bOTb0YE.jpgFSLQLAZ.jpg

I love this model. I've built a Chevrolet Bel Air from 1957~  (I'll post it at a later date) and I'm working on a Plymouth Special Deluxe, but that one's stalled due to a lack of brown pieces.

So far the Rolls has no functionality. Nothing opens, there's no motor and nothing in the trunk. But I'm working on it and you can expect a few updates soon! :)

Luckily, LEGO doesn't yet own the Rolls Royce license, so I managed to put it on LEGO Ideas. Here's the link if you'd like to support the project (every supporter is greatly appreciated (obviously)): https://ideas.lego.com/projects/af1f1fe1-1bc2-41a8-b782-ba12e16a1d71

That's it for now, I'll get back to you all when I'm done adding some functionality to the car.

Edited by Terrasher
Update in replies

I dunno man, isn't there something to be done when the hood and c pillars? Those two things make it look unfinished to me.

1 hour ago, KevinMD said:

I dunno man, isn't there something to be done when the hood and c pillars? Those two things make it look unfinished to me.

I've been improving the model ever since I posted it here and I've changed the hood quite a bit! It's now a lot smoother and built in a more interesting fashion than just plates on top of plates with the studs looking straight up. Plus, I've managed to make the hood open up. Let me just finish the motor inside and I'll post an update very soon! :classic:

6 hours ago, Terrasher said:

I've been improving the model ever since I posted it here and I've changed the hood quite a bit! It's now a lot smoother and built in a more interesting fashion than just plates on top of plates with the studs looking straight up. Plus, I've managed to make the hood open up. Let me just finish the motor inside and I'll post an update very soon! :classic:

Looking forward to it.  I think autos have a difficult path on ideas but a finished model with all the bells and whistles should at least get you a 10k review (imo); it's pretty sweet even in its raw state.  

Update 1: Functionality!

Changes:

• Changed the design of the hood
  • The doors, the trunk and the hood now open
  • Added: detail on the interior side of the doors; engine; slightly improved wheels

NZUskVR.jpgaSE8CCd.jpg

rHAXpqy.jpgEliwV28.jpg

Though there may be a few hollow spots here and there, compared to the first version, the Silver Cloud II has now all the functionality a LEGO car should have.

Full album of pictures along with a few comparison shots with the Beetle and the Cooper: http://imgur.com/a/PECPu

7 minutes ago, Dragunov2 said:

No suicide doors?

Every image I've seen of the Silver Cloud II on Google doesn't seem to have suicide doors. I admit it would have been interesting but, to stay true to the real car, I had the front and back doors open the same way.

New hood is way more interesting and looks better then the flat surface from before.

Maybe see if you can use the existing bricks to make suicide doors as an alt build?

I dont know anything about the car, but if Drag brought it up it must be important in Rolls Royce culture lol

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

Even a holder for an umbrella in some suicide doors of a Rolls Royce

Edited by Dragunov2

2 hours ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

New hood is way more interesting and looks better then the flat surface from before.

Maybe see if you can use the existing bricks to make suicide doors as an alt build?

I dont know anything about the car, but if Drag brought it up it must be important in Rolls Royce culture lol

Since the detailing is pretty much done, I'll be looking into making alternate versions for future updates.

I'll see about the possiblity of making suicide doors, just to see how it would look, and for fun. I have plans for another update to add the option of changing the color scheme from all black to black bottom and grey top.

All suggestions are welcome, thank you for your feedback! :classic:

25 minutes ago, Dragunov2 said:

Even a holder for an umbrella in some suicide doors of a Rolls Royce

Accessories is something I'll be adding in the next update. I don't know if I'll manage a holder for an umbrella but I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: Just added an umbrella holder. I don't believe the real Silver Cloud II has this feature but I'll keep it for this model since it's quite an iconic thing in other Rolls Royces (plus, it's pretty neat).

Edited by Terrasher