Set rating  

168 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

I just finished building this set with my son. I have to say that of the 50+ Lego sets we have built this was by far my favorite. The build and stability of the model are wonderful and while there could have been a couple pictures that clarified part placement  the instructions were the usual high quality. The building techniques used in each stage were very interesting. I know I'll be using a lot of them in future MOCs. I just have to get the "Lego Math" down for each part! I also thought the price per part ratio was pretty good; No stickers, lots of printed pieces all for @$120usd at Lego.com.  Really good value! I am thinking of getting another if Lego will ever keep them in stock!

While I purchased this set for myself (I’m 56),  I did not think my son (9) would not have much interest. However I was very pleasantly surprised that he loved it. He played with it all night with only a few emergency repairs required; a testament to the build quality. He also discovered the “Kerbal Space Program” video game so that reinforced is interest even more…

I was pleased to see that Lego Ideas has the Launch Umbilical Tower under review as well as the NASA Space Shuttle (Saturn V Scale).  

I’m hoping Lego Ideas group will do models of the following space programs in 1:110 scale:

• ISS (isn’t there an exclusive ISS set somewhere?)
  • Soyuz
  • Sputnik/R7 Rocket (first artificial Earth satellite)
  • Vostok 1 (first man in space/first orbit)
  • Mercury
  • Gemini
  • Skylab
  • Mir
  • And the new latest SpaceX, Blue Origien, Virgin Galactic ships…

I guess I’ll have to supporting more Lego Ideas projects and maybe even submit them myself!

Edited by swijak
Added info.

On 10/13/2017 at 2:49 PM, swijak said:
  • ISS (isn’t there an exclusive ISS set somewhere?)

There was a small ISS set as part of the Discovery Kids line in 2003. There was also a larger and more detailed ISS build sent up with astronauts to construct on the actual International Space Station — however, like the real ISS, it was not designed to be structurally sound in Earth gravity. That issue would probably remain an obstacle with future ISS sets. You could make some sort of stand to support the model, but it could be hard to keep it from detracting from the model's appearance.

Thanks Aanchir! The big ISS was the one I was looking for! Maybe it's time to get out the fishing line and hang it from the ceiling! 

Found a handful at the KOP/ Philly Lego store yesterday. I bought another one. It's so hard to pass it up on such a rare and great set. I noticed a couple of them at a toys r us over the weekend as well which was surprising. They are charging $135 for it currently. I'm wondering if Lego will really be able to meet the demand for these before retiring it?

On 01/01/2018 at 4:39 AM, canuckster said:

Any word on the possibility of Lego doing the umbilical tower?

It will be in the next 'Ideas' review along with the Space Shuttle, as much as I'd like one I can't see it being approved  :cry_sad:

I've built mine a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely awesome!
It is the tallest/longest model in my collection!

Though the LUT didn't get approved, someone might provide a link to the building guide of their OC.

21 hours ago, Shiva said:

LUT building guide you say?

It's a fabulous model, unfortunately a lot of the parts are rare, long out-of-production, or simply don't exist in the required colours. I've been working on my own LUT for the last 6 months (WIP thread here), though there hasn't been much interest.

NathanR, your LUT looks ok.

I have been mostly reading the tecnic forums, for a few years, until I finally made a profile here.