Brikkyy13

What would be considered a "large" LEGO collection?

On 4/21/2017 at 4:36 PM, 1974 said:

I have about a quarter of a million bricks, which is not that unusual. What is unusual is that I only have parts in old colours (black, white, red, blue, green, yellow, brown and the two old greys (and of course trans clear/yellow/red/green and blue)) as I have no use for modern colours at all

'Cept tan. I love tan :wub:

Cheers,

Ole

Yup, fell in love with 'tan' after I visited a lego exhibit at a museum in Chicago ... they had a huge egyptian exhibit, with (tan) pyramids. So I went on a bricklink shopping spree and bought many 'slopes' in both tan and dark tan. To my dismay, the corner slope 2x2 is very rare and expensive too. The museum exhibit must have received a very special order from TLG.

All relative. My collection is the largest I know of with all my personal friends and acquaintances (292 sets). However when compared to the collections of many people online mine still looks rather modest... So all relative, I think maybe once you hit the 200 set mark it is in the "larger" collections; but not the "largest." 

At the moment, Brickset says that I have 1927 sets, this is inflated because I own every collectible minifigure. I'd say that approximately 3/4 of my collection is built and distributed throughout 3 rooms of my house, and the rest is in storage.

Whereas I only have 80 sets and 9,288 total parts, but it is still considered 'too large' by certain other family members...:laugh:. I feel this is a good size, and have almost stopped buying LEGO except for the occasional Bricklink order, because at this size I know roughly how many of each part I have, where I have used a certain piece, what MOC I will need to dismantle to build another one, etc. It's all 'on show' either as built models on a low table or in transparent boxes (sorted by colour so it looks neat and presentable) underneath. It works, but who knows what will happen to it all when I go to university in September... I get the feeling 'certain other family member' will want their table back if I'm not using it... :look: :laugh:

I have 143 sets, mostly small sets. The few medium sets I have, however, take up more real estate than I actually have for display. 

As a result despite my lofty wishes and occasional proclamations I have curtailed my LEGO purchases this year a ton>< (not happy about that but drat...)

In fact going forward it may drop down enough to be a dark age >< Such is the state of my display space ><

So I guess the answer to your question is that "big" depends on how much you can actually store/display. 

If say you have enough display space for 700 sets but only have 200 your collection is SMALL. if you have space to display/store 10 sets but cram 20 sets into that area your collection is BIG! 

Or that is how I would say it to you if I saw it =) 

I have about 250 sets, primarily technic/City/Trains/Friends (some in multiple copies, because I needed the extra pieces). I'm not into CMF and small sets. That said, I've slowed down buying lego as I find myself often pondering what would happen to such collection once I'm gone (all of us should). We spend the earlier parts of our lives collecting/amassing ... and after stages getting rid of things. My collection includes numerous orders from Bricklink as well so, lots of spare parts. 

Each new set brings its own 'pull' of either new parts or those in new colors (Have you seen the new Nexo Knights?) ... but lately I'm getting more 'pleasure' from building my own MOCs from scract, as opposed to following a given recipe for a set. I find the 'specialty' sets in that regards rather boring as there is only one version you can build, unlike th emuch older sets.

Started collecting last May and my own spreadsheet suggest I have 58 sets with a total of 70,932 pieces (I tend to go for larger sets so I think the number of pieces is high compared to the number of sets). Two of those sets are buildable figures (I don't really like them but one was free and the other was reduced to £2.00!), the number doesn't include mini-figures.

I also have a bunch of assorted bricks purchased as job lots from ebay, but don't have a count for those at the moment, and the number of pieces does not include the "spare" pieces from sets which fill a pretty sizeable bag despite being mostly tiny, so that would probably bump the number as well. Have slowed down my purchasing somewhat now and have only bought 7 smaller sets this month, couldn't resist the 3 for 2 deal on toys at Tesco!