I am not entirely sure about the operation of the 4 stud wide variant, It currently has 4 8z gears, though the way they are positioned on the lead screw, I don't think they will line up correctly( though LDD said it works), so maybe only the top two gears can be used, and maybe a loosely rotating gear below to maintain purchase for the upper gears.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

@Tommy Styrvoky. Here you can see your variants.

The first is very good. It is very small, this can be useful.

470280IMG3329s.jpg633603IMG3332s.jpg

Yes unfortunately, the second can't fit with 4x8t gears, only 3. Nevers mind, the third gear, under, don't move either, it is blocked.
This one is my preferred because you can easily make it stronger and associate beams and connectors.

325835IMG3341s.jpg623191IMG3344s.jpg

28 minutes ago, oracid said:

@Tommy Styrvoky. Here you can see your variants.

The first is very good. It is very small, this can be useful.

Yes unfortunately, the second can't fit with 4x8t gears, only 3. Nevers mind, the third gear, under, don't move either, it is blocked.

This one is my preferred because you can easily make it stronger and associate beams and connectors.

Thanks for testing them, I know they are rather simple though sometimes you can't always trust LDD for legal connections. The small one was sort of a how tiny can I make this and it will still be functional sort of challenge. I think for the smaller one, a beam could be mounted between the two 10197 parts. This could have some interesting applications, if there are two of these operating in a pair.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

12 hours ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

I think for the smaller one, a beam could be mounted between the two 10197 parts. This could have some interesting applications, if there are two of these operating in a pair.

Yes, the little one can be useful. But because the worm gear is not blocked with the third gear it may slip when big torque.

I believe that the 3 gears alternative path is the key of this worm gear nut.

Thank you @LEGO Train 12 Volts 

Here is a new variant inspired from the @Tommy Styrvoky variant...
This one is 5 stud wide design, instead of 4.  It is easier to make and much more adaptive.
Furthermore, you can see that I have inserted 2 bushes in the back to block even more the third gear.

463376IMG3352s.jpg454855IMG3349s.jpg

Good idea and another nice video from you!!! Did you perhapse test it by using 32L axles? Would there be any problems with flexure because of the length of the whole assembly? I guess the length of those "guide" axles is the limit of this system, or not?

The goal here was to make an efficient worm gear nut. And I think, all together, we have succeeded.
What we matter here is the nut and the guide of the nut.

Of course, it is possible to make something with the 32L axle.
Many of ours think about a 3D printer I presume. Why not !
But of course, this does not exempt to make a strong structure for your project.

Please, make something and give us a feedback.
Thank you all.

Here, you can see the video about my worm gear nut Tommy variant.
Thanks to Tommy.

Hi all,

I didn't know about this thread, I was pointed by BusterHaus to here from my own thread. In case you're interested in seeing a working 32L solution:

This is a detail of the gears I use (5 in total, 2 are hidden behind the worm gears).

36109191665_13af9d115d_z.jpg

It is part of a vertical lift which is used in a stacker crane for a fully automated container warehouse.

Enjoy, Hans

Edited by Hanso