To day, I would like to show you my alternative worm gear nut.
Thank you for watching and feedback.

I've seen this trick before, but not like this. Do the 8z gears ever slip, or are they jammed so that they don't rotate?

No, the 8z gears don't slip, they are blocked with the 2 two teeth along the 14720.jpg  piece.

Edited by oracid

58 minutes ago, schraubedrin said:

Is it in system?

I don't understand your question. Could you be more specific.

59 minutes ago, schraubedrin said:

I thought the worm gear is a little bit bigger than one stud...

Yes the worm gear is a little bigger than one stud. But the 8z gear teeth go inside the worm gear. It fits very good. Try it.

Thank you all.

18 minutes ago, oracid said:

Yes the worm gear is a little bigger than one stud. But the 8z gear teeth go inside the worm gear. It fits very good. Try it.

Thank you all.

The worm gear fits next to the bone frame only in a specific rotation. Pretty sure it is an illegal connection, LDD does not allow it in all positions.

a65d7afc09.png

Tested it with real parts and found out that with short axles you don't actually need the 8-tooth gears to move the frame as the edges of the pinhole in it act as the teeth. I assume it would slip with high torque.

Is not the XL motor too powerful for such construction? What will happen if the motor is not stopped or reversed ?

2 hours ago, oracid said:
3 hours ago, schraubedrin said:

Is it in system?

I'm sorry, i meant whether this construction used the exact geometry of the parts or if the flex of the plastic is necessary for this to work.

I just tested it (see image below) and wasn't able to put an axle through when no flex is possible.

But that's just a tiny nitpick of my inner purist :blush: I still like the compactness of your solution and how perfect the 8t gears fit in there.

in system.jpg

There are alternatives for the stacked bone frames to make it legal, for instance this one and probably ones that are better secured.

640x327.jpg640x327.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

This articulation is a simple example. You can make a 3D printer if you prefer.

@skppo. Yes of course, this is an illegal connection. With high torque you have to test.

@Didumos69. This seems good, I will test it right now. Would you show more pictures.

@AOW.Damage, that's for sure!

Thanks for your feedbacks.

26 minutes ago, oracid said:

@Didumos69. This seems good, I will test it right now. Would you show more pictures.

I'm on the road right now, but the only parts that are hard to see are 2 3L liftarms with axle connector.

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

There are alternatives for the stacked bone frames to make it legal, for instance this one and probably ones that are better secured.

Excellent !
This is very good !
Much better than my solution !
Thank you so much !

Edited by oracid

Shouldn't the blue pins be replaced with non-rotating axles to prevent the 8 tooth gears from turning if too much force is applied to the carriage?  Or are they used to prevent damage at the end of travel? 

14 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

Shouldn't the blue pins be replaced with non-rotating axles to prevent the 8 tooth gears from turning if too much force is applied to the carriage?  Or are they used to prevent damage at the end of travel? 

They need a 22.5 degree offset and they are fixed by the adjacent parts.

On 2017-01-12 at 1:03 PM, Didumos69 said:

They need a 22.5 degree offset and they are fixed by the adjacent parts.

If you hold the carriage in place and turn the worm gears, the 8 tooth gears will rotate and can be oriented to 90 degrees.

Edit: It looks like it's possible to align two gears on the same side (if not, it's very close).

Edited by BusterHaus
Removed picture.

25 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

This is very easy to try and you will see there is no problem.
If too much torque, the full figure will explode before the tooth slip or broke.

3 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

If you hold the carriage in place and turn the worm gears, the 8 tooth gears will rotate and can be oriented to 90 degrees.

If the gears wouldn't be fixed by the outer ends of the bone frames, then yes they would. I was reasoning given the current situation. Actually the gears are also placed illegally, they sit a little too tight against the bone frames.

11 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

If the gears wouldn't be fixed by the outer ends of the bone frames, then yes they would. I was reasoning given the current situation. Actually the gears are also placed illegally, they sit a little too tight against the bone frames.

Ok, I see it now. For some reason I thought they were free to rotate.

3 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

Ok, I see it now. For some reason I thought they were free to rotate.

The gears don't rotate, that's why it works. But your drawing seems good to me too.

Edited by oracid

What about something like this, I made it one stud smaller, though It may not interface well with Technic as it is an even number of studs wide, it may work better with system builds.

I think it is possible to make this be 3 studs wide, though it won't be as rigid, I may take a look into a 3 stud wide design, as I have a couple of ideas.

LDD file

32158227421_06493df0a2_c.jpgSlider rail by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr31901301460_035b186e6c_c.jpgSlider rail by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

I figured out a 3 stud wide variant, though the input is off center.

LDD file

32278248605_a4e44aceaf_c.jpgSlider rail small by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

32278245475_72063e8de7_c.jpgSlider rail small by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Thanks for the inspiration.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

1 hour ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

Thanks for the inspiration.

It is me who thank you for all these magnificent variations.

I will try to make all this right away and will show some photos.

Beautifully compact and clever ideas, thanks fo sharing them, and for bringing the theme on the table Oracid! :thumbup:

I believe the idea from Tommy would have a great use as crane arm extension.

Edited by agrof
grammar