Saberwing40k

[HELP] Buying Third Party Parts Discussion Topic

Well, my Bricklink and Google-fu has failed me, so I'm wondering if anyone else has found any educational sites/webshops that sell Lego pneumatic cylinders for lower than Bricklink/Brickowl, and Ebay. If you have any ideas, that would be much appreciated. Sadly, I can't seem to order any parts individually directly from Lego, so that's why I ask.

Also, I did some searching, and i have found a place that is not an Ebay store, where you can get some Lego compatible pneumatic tubing. Philo actually discovered this stuff.

Versilic Tubing.

It's available on Amazon, under science, and lab supplies, and there are many lengths available. What you are after is the tubing that is 1/8 inch(4mm) Outside diameter, and 1/16 inch(2mm) Inside diameter. You can get 50 feet for only $30 US, which is a pretty spiffy deal. This is particularly relevant now, because we are having a pneumatic contest running now, so some people might need it.

Also, I'm kind of wondering if we could maybe add a section under the index for alternative stores to Bricklink, and places to procure stuff like third party string, and pneumatic tubing, and stuff like SBrick, LifeLites, etc.

I get 4mm OD 1mm wall silicon food grade hose from ebay for about EUR0.20 per metre from China, including delivery.

Lots of colour choices and tends to be available in 10m rolls as well, which was fabulous when I put together Andrea Grazi's tow truck recently. (speaking of pneumatic competitions .... :wub: )

Can't remember the exact choice of search terms, but let me know if you want me to dig up my old purchase for keywords. The stuff works well and it's great to get availability of yellow hose, since it hides in old models very well.

Also brick layers string is a fabulous substitute for TLG string, but if you want something other than hi-vis you'll have to dye it. That said, I like the bright red stuff for crane rigging now that you really can get inch and a quarter red synthetic rope for your 12 inch to the foot scale crane.

I found some IV drip tubing and breast pump tubing also work. I had some leftover from baby feeding days and rehydrating a sick cat.

You can also find cords at your local fabric or crafts store.

Thank you all for your responses, but what I was really looking for is a place to buy official Lego Pneumatic parts, for my entry, at a lower price than Bricklink. I know about the tubing and stuff. But,this should still be helpful for anyone who needs this stuff.

I've never found pneumatic parts cheaper anywhere other than bricklink and lego either doesn't sell them directly, or they're always OOS (out of stock) as soon as they're in stock on Bricks and Pieces. I always suspected there are hardcore bricklink sellers who check Lego Bricks and Pieces multiple times a day every day who buy as many of high $$$ parts as soon as they're available on bricks and pieces.

For older stuff, the only satisfactory way i've found of getting lots of cylinders is to find cheap 8455 or similar sets, and part out the rest to recover costs. It can take a bit of work, but there's a reason they're pricey - supply is limited.

If you're talking about the newer long cylinders, I get the impression that TLG are pretty much producing enough to put into new sets with maybe a few in hand for warranty returns and that's it. The BL price is just the usual supply/demand routine, so you're unlikely to find cheap ones because all the sellers know the state of play.

For older cylinders though, the square bottom units are more plentiful than the newer rounded bottom ones, although it's always interesting to compare the BL price guides when competitions like TC10 are released.

Also, I'm kind of wondering if we could maybe add a section under the index for alternative stores to Bricklink, and places to procure stuff like third party string, and pneumatic tubing, and stuff like SBrick, LifeLites, etc.

Great idea :thumbup:

Let me change the title of this topic and let's use this as a discussion topic.

There's a new section in the Index:

Buying third party parts