Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2017 - Set Discussion

They did come out with a Doctor Who set and I remember several episodes that would have been too much for children especially with the sexual innuendos.

Edited by paulsp2012

Although Doctor Who is classified as a family show, and broadcast at around 7pm in the UK – well before the BBC's watershed. That it sometimes has mature themes doesn't mean it's a mature show in the same way as something like the Netflix Marvel stuff (i.e. that it isn't laced with heavily sexual scenes, violence, and so on). Plus the chances of us getting any more Who sets appears to be somewhere approaching zero.

Brickset has summer listings.

76088 Marvel 

70682 Spider-Man

70683 Spider-Man

70684 Spider-Man

Great to hear that we'll be getting more Spider-Man sets! Are these going to be comic based like the ones from this summer or are they all going to be based on Homecoming?

9 minutes ago, TheBrickBuilder14 said:

Great to hear that we'll be getting more Spider-Man sets! Are these going to be comic based like the ones from this summer or are they all going to be based on Homecoming?

Perhaps, those sets will be based off of the new Spiderman show that will be replacing the ultimate Spiderman.

http://www.newsarama.com/images/i/000/180/925/i02/new-Spiderman.jpg

But, they're probably just homecoming sets.

36 minutes ago, amazingbricks said:

Perhaps, those sets will be based off of the new Spiderman show that will be replacing the ultimate Spiderman.

http://www.newsarama.com/images/i/000/180/925/i02/new-Spiderman.jpg

But, they're probably just homecoming sets.

Could be related to the show yes, but wasn't it said that we would get only 1 homecoming set? Could still leave the potential for 2 comic based ones... I just want a big fig Rhino and a Black Cat ;)

I'm just curious, but do we know anything about set 76078 Marvel that is also listed on Brickset?

It also looks like those Spider-Man sets were listed as "Ultimate Spider-Man," so it may wind up being more comic-based stuff.

3 hours ago, TheBrickBuilder14 said:

They're based on Homecoming! :classic:

It seems Marvel is getting the getting the short end of the stick next year. 

I thought it would be DC, considering the Batman Movie sets, but even DC alone is getting more sets than Marvel

26 minutes ago, just2good said:

Well that shut me up lol.  So three sets for Homecoming and one unconfirmed for the summer?  I'm hoping the unconfirmed might be something for Thor: Ragnarok, but I don't wanna get my hopes up.  I'm dying to get more Thor characters other than Loki.

Maybe the extra set can be for Galaxy of the Guardians Vol. 2, sorta like the extra Civil War set. But yeah, I'm thinking an August-release Ragnarok set, much like this year's Doctor Strange set.

6 minutes ago, just2good said:

Maybe the extra set can be for Galaxy of the Guardians Vol. 2, sorta like the extra Civil War set. But yeah, I'm thinking an August-release Ragnarok set, much like this year's Doctor Strange set.

I cannot wait till they release the pics for the new Guardians sets. I rarely buy all sets in a line but I'll definitely be picking all of them up.

13 minutes ago, just2good said:

A possible set for Ragnarok is excellent to hear if so.  I just hope we get Hela, maybe Skurge.  No more Lokis, please.

As a property, Thor is probably the least-utilized Marvel IP.  Iron Man's gotten Pepper, Tony, Rhodey, and the Iron Man 3 villains, and all his suits. Characters relevant to the series that we've gotten have included Nick Fury, Black Widow, and we will be getting Coulson soon enough. Captain America's gotten Cap, Falcon, Red Skull, Hydra, and Winter Soldier, and if you want, you can re-count Nick, Natasha, and also Maria Hill.  Hulk's gotten 4-5 variations on the Hulk himself, and we're getting the upcoming set that adds 3 new Hulk-themed characters. Guardians of the Galaxy got three sets that filled almost the entire stable of characters for the film, and they're getting more sets next year. Even Ant-Man got three figures that are all named main characters from his franchise, and the same can be said for Doctor Strange. That's not even touching on the dozens of Spider-Man characters and the dozens of less-affiliated Marvel universe characters.

Thor, on the other hand, has only gotten two characters represented, ever.  Thor's plot lines and characters have been integral to four films of the MCU, roughly 25% of the total content, yet the only characters we've gotten are Thor (in two similar variants) and Loki. It feels to me like the Thor-related side-characters have been in a weird dead zone this whole time.  They're not desirable enough to sell a set by themselves, but they're too weird to include to throw into a set with another theme. Sets featuring the Asgardian cast would've needed Thor or Loki or both to make them marketable, but Lego didn't want to overexpose Thor and Loki because they had other uses for them.

So here's why I'm unhappy that Thor is only getting a single set: I assume a Ragnarök set would give us a new Thor variant and a new Loki variant (both have new, actually different costumes), and one or two of the major characters of the film.  Both the Ant-Man set and the Doctor Strange set have set a precedent that these superhero movie single-set waves tend to be smaller, with only 3 figures, but that could change. The problem is that Ragnarok has a different cast of characters than the other Thor films; the biggest roles (and the most likely to be turned into toys) are expected to go to Hulk, Valkyrie, and Hela. Even if the Ragnarok set were a big ol' $60 monster, that still wouldn't give room for us to get Odin and Sif and Heimdall, characters who've been important to the series up to this point. My ideal second Thor set would be something like the Bifrost observatory, with the three aforementioned Asgardian characters, but I know that won't happen at this point.  I'll be surprised and happy if they even include one of the "classic" MCU Thor/T:TDW characters in a set next year, or really at any point in the future.

43 minutes ago, N_Cat said:

So here's why I'm unhappy that Thor is only getting a single set

I don't think it has been confirmed that there will be one yet.  I thinking it can just be considered a possibility for now.

7 hours ago, amazingbricks said:

Something's telling me that 76088 is a Thor Ragnarok set.

YES.

6 hours ago, just2good said:

DOUBLE YES.

Ooooh Thor set, be quite something please.

Edited by kevkipo

13 hours ago, Dr Axels said:

No more Lokis, please.

Knowing the popularity of Loki, Lego would make a terrible mistake to not include him. Plus, he would most likely have a new variant, but we'll to have wait for more news.

A Thor Ragnarok set would have to AT LEAST include, Thor, Loki, Hulk, Valkyrie and a bad guy, everything else is just a bonus.

3 Homecoming sets? Count me in, I thought 1 was the most we can expect out of the new Spidey movie, but with 3 we can expect more than just Spiderman and Vulture minifigures! Probably Shocker, Tinkerer and Tony Stark at least! 

As for supposed Thor set, I'd love for Lego to finally give some love to Thor, he only ever had 3 minifigures, just like Hawkeye, but Thor is much more important character to MCU ! Hopefully this Ragnarok set will be really good and finally give Thor updated hairpiece! Also size wise I expect it to be like this years Doctor Strange set, so probably just minifigures of Thor, Loki, Hulk and Hella. 

59 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

3 Homecoming sets? Count me in, I thought 1 was the most we can expect out of the new Spidey movie, but with 3 we can expect more than just Spiderman and Vulture minifigures! Probably Shocker, Tinkerer and Tony Stark at least! 

As for supposed Thor set, I'd love for Lego to finally give some love to Thor, he only ever had 3 minifigures, just like Hawkeye, but Thor is much more important character to MCU ! Hopefully this Ragnarok set will be really good and finally give Thor updated hairpiece! Also size wise I expect it to be like this years Doctor Strange set, so probably just minifigures of Thor, Loki, Hulk and Hella. 

But can you really? I mean with all these important characters in this film? We at least need: Thor, Loki, Hulk, Valkyrie, and Skurge! and Fenris and Fandral and Volstagg and...
Just kidding, but those first 5 are necessery though.

Also quick question, Doctor Strange figure with Superman hair, has anyone done that?

17 hours ago, just2good said:

Omg! Hope we're getting spidey versions and villains' YAY.