Cjd223

Building Mortesv's Nebulon-B Thread

I have another question. I am at the stage of fitting the top panel. I get that it may be difficult to press on but is there the need for removal at a later stage? Twice now others have said it is a nightmare to remove.

i also had an absolute nightmare with mounting the bottom engine for some reason. Got it in the end with a few tweaks

@Hunter003: Ecmo's solution of using tiles does help, a lot actually!

Without the tiles, I can't get the top panel totally flat on the frame and I needed to use a lot of force and it caused me to accidentally bump the 2 half-cylinder engines off. Getting those engines to fit again (in such a tight space) was a nightmare.

So I followed Ecmo's solution and added tiles on the frame, with studs showing at corners to "guide & lock" the top panel in place. Just note that the top panel is now a plate higher so certain areas may have gaps, like those circled, so I added more tiles and plates to increase the height and close off any gaps that I may find.

30364622982_cd19e18e93_c.jpg

Trust this helps!

On 10/21/2016 at 7:53 PM, Hunter003 said:

I have another question. I am at the stage of fitting the top panel. I get that it may be difficult to press on but is there the need for removal at a later stage? Twice now others have said it is a nightmare to remove.

i also had an absolute nightmare with mounting the bottom engine for some reason. Got it in the end with a few tweaks

You basically answered your own question. When the two 1/2 cylinders that form the two bottom engines fall off, it's a lot easier to put them back on if you can take the top off and rotate the "Vee" sides away from the body.

Azrielsc: Yes, mine is a plate higher now too. One thing I didn't mention about that top plate is that I put two 2x10 plates on top to bridge the larger plate joints. You can see one partially exposed in the below photo. You will never notice the added height once the details are on and they make the whole unit A LOT sturdier. 

30449146856_074c5f1dfd_c.jpgDSC01743 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Here are photos of the exploded A and Y wings. If anybody wants LDD files, shoot me a PM with your email address. On the Y-wing, I am considering cutting the 3L "Arrow" a little shorter to remove that exposed section between the neck bracket and the technic 1/2 pin. This would improve the appearance a fair amount but the purist in me has thus far prevented this "illegal" action. 

30485641965_e494fd8415_c.jpgDSC01747 by Scott Roys, on Flickr 

30449143566_1d5576f631_c.jpgDSC01745 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Edited by ecmo47

Thanks for the pictures Scott!

I am considering modifying the Y-wings cockpit - doing some test but not 100% sure. Will try to see if I can make a curved cockpit, but still in the same size as the old one :) 

I made a new y-wing prototype inspired by ecmo's sloped cockpit design and some other changes I wanted to make:

dcee4ce1-25e6-478f-b6f3-77ec5f7377cc_zps[

This version retains the length of my old version, but everything is also slimmed down. This is a prototype, the finished fighters will have a bit more yellow around the cockpit area :)

Edited by mortesv

That's a good looking Y-Wing! It's amazing the variations you can create with something so diminutive and such a small piece count.  

15 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Azrielsc: Yes, mine is a plate higher now too. One thing I didn't mention about that top plate is that I put two 2x10 plates on top to bridge the larger plate joints. You can see one partially exposed in the below photo. You will never notice the added height once the details are on and they make the whole unit A LOT sturdier.

Ah, I see what you did with the 2x10 plates. Yes, with all that greebling in place, you cannot tell if it is a plate taller!

3 hours ago, mortesv said:

I made a new y-wing prototype inspired by ecmo's sloped cockpit design and some other changes I wanted to make:

This version retains the length of my old version, but everything is also slimmed down. This is a prototype, the finished fighters will have a bit more yellow around the cockpit area :)

Looks interesting Motesc & Ecmo! Let me see if I can build the micro Y-Wings with whatever few pieces I have too. :classic:

On 10/23/2016 at 3:57 AM, ecmo47 said:

That's a good looking Y-Wing! It's amazing the variations you can create with something so diminutive and such a small piece count.  

On 10/23/2016 at 4:00 AM, Azrielsc said:

Looks interesting Motesc & Ecmo! Let me see if I can build the micro Y-Wings with whatever few pieces I have too. :classic:

My new version uses 31 pieces instead of 40 - better shaping and better proportions without losing detail :)

The old version was inspired by Tim Goddard's micro Y-wing. His version was scaled a bit larger so when modified it began to look a it blocky. The new version is much better for this scale.

Thanks for the inspiration for a curved sloped cockpit echo :)

I have also modified the A.wing a bit but not much.

I've got a small comicon tomorrow and I'm going to take the Neb. Hopefully! To transport, I built this case. Proof on how successful it is will come tomorrow when I open it up. The packing is fiberglass insulation which wasn't my first choice but it had the right balance of sponginess and firmness.

30511271052_46cf7269b0_c.jpgDSC01749 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

30627985315_219680924d_c.jpgDSC01752 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

30627979525_62ab0a02db_c.jpgDSC01754 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

1 hour ago, ecmo47 said:

I've got a small comicon tomorrow and I'm going to take the Neb. Hopefully! To transport, I built this case. Proof on how successful it is will come tomorrow when I open it up. The packing is fiberglass insulation which wasn't my first choice but it had the right balance of sponginess and firmness.

30511271052_46cf7269b0_c.jpgDSC01749 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

30627985315_219680924d_c.jpgDSC01752 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

30627979525_62ab0a02db_c.jpgDSC01754 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

That is a great looking case Scott, you are quite the craftsman!

Will you bring your transports and a few fighters? A squadron of fighters really helps set the scale :)

So cool to see the Nebulon get a chance to be shown off in public. I'm nervous for you as well as excited. I am curious to see how well the back panels stay together as well as some small greeble pieces. Hopefully all goes well!

Yes, my three GR-75's and a dozen fighters are going along too. Just one thing missing........

If all goes well, I'll post some photos of the set-up. If it's Watto's scrape-yard, I'll post a picture of that too! Hopefully all my over-building will pay off with a nice public display.  I am not expected any problems with the rear section expect the back engines. I'm sure some of those will fall off but that is minor. Next spot of concern would be the stalagmite panels. Will see! 

Thanks to all that had a hand in making this a reality for me. Could not have done it without ya'll!  

7 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Yes, my three GR-75's and a dozen fighters are going along too. Just one thing missing........

If all goes well, I'll post some photos of the set-up. If it's Watto's scrape-yard, I'll post a picture of that too! Hopefully all my over-building will pay off with a nice public display.  I am not expected any problems with the rear section expect the back engines. I'm sure some of those will fall off but that is minor. Next spot of concern would be the stalagmite panels. Will see! 

Thanks to all that had a hand in making this a reality for me. Could not have done it without ya'll!  

Can't wait to see pictures of your set-up :)

Have you built the smaller ships as well, Falcon, Shuttle, Slave 1?

Which reminds me, maybe I should make a Slave 1 ldd :)

The Neb survived the trip very well! The bridge fell off and one other piece of greeble that I could not identify. Trying to get some pictures posted but am having technical issues.

4 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

The Neb survived the trip very well! The bridge fell off and one other piece of greeble that I could not identify. Trying to get some pictures posted but am having technical issues.

Seems your case did a good job!

Let us know how it goes! And please give this thread a shout out if anyone is interested in building their own :)

I wish all the Neb/Rebel fleet builders here could meet at a con and display one humongous fleet with 15 frigates 40 transports and a thousand fighters - and maybe two dozen Corvettes ;)

Mortesv: No, I have not built the shuttle, Slave 1 or the TIE's. I wanted to keep true to the ESB closing scene for now. Yes, it would look super cool to have a mighty fleet of every bodies builds. Just come on over to the States and I'll be happy to meet up with you at any Lego event! One thing though, there will be only one Corvette if SOMEBODY doesn't get some form of those plans done! :laugh: If anybody wants more details on the travel case, send me a PM and I'll answer the best I can. (By the way, the Neb holds up fine with just 2 supports and the front foot mod adds a lot of stability.)

Here are some shots from the show. Not a lot different from your setup but all pieces traveled very well and set up was pretty quick. DSC01767 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

30017429483_d2c40ec128_c.jpgDSC01766 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Yep, That's me.

30563274541_5f4190c3b7_c.jpgDSC01755 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Just noticed the drooping stab vane in this picture. :angry:

30529645412_8c94a31891_c.jpgUntitled by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Edited by ecmo47

A great setup!

I wish I could display my fleet in the middle of a room like that every day :)

By the way I do not think there were any A or B-wings in ESB, but I'll let it slide :)

I'll see what I can do with the corvette, but right now my son is taking up most of my spare time - and I also have a Home One to finish ;)

Hey there,

I just finished the top of the Engine Part which really was interesting.... I put the Plates directly on an started to put all the small parts directly on it which worked pretty good. Hardest part till now was the work on the underside and the many parts just holding each other with one stud...

Looking forward to finish this beast the next days!

looks really good!

And many thanks to mortesv and cjd - simply awesome.

On 10/30/2016 at 3:09 PM, mortesv said:

A great setup!

I wish I could display my fleet in the middle of a room like that every day :)

By the way I do not think there were any A or B-wings in ESB, but I'll let it slide :)

I'll see what I can do with the corvette, but right now my son is taking up most of my spare time - and I also have a Home One to finish ;)

Oops, you got me there. Let's just say I wanted to stick with an all rebel fleet at this time. 

On the Corvette, I'd be happy to play around with what you currently have. You know I cannot leave a good thing alone! But if not, I'll patiently what until your ready to release. 

Family always first!

Edited by ecmo47

21 hours ago, olf999 said:

Hey there,

I just finished the top of the Engine Part which really was interesting.... I put the Plates directly on an started to put all the small parts directly on it which worked pretty good. Hardest part till now was the work on the underside and the many parts just holding each other with one stud...

Looking forward to finish this beast the next days!

looks really good!

And many thanks to mortesv and cjd - simply awesome.

You are welcome! :)

9 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Oops, you got me there. Let's just say I wanted to stick with an all rebel fleet at this time. 

On the Corvette, I'd be happy to play around with what you currently have. You know I cannot leave a good thing alone! But if not, I'll patiently what until your ready to release. 

Family always first!

Well the Corvette is a beauty :) Right now I get about 1-2 hours sleep each night - the little devil is keeping us awake. This mean no time for ldd, but I have ordered bricks to build more fighters for the fleet - building the little ships has great meditative qualities :)

Finally DONE!!!

but wait... seems like i need more bars..... are there more in the instructions than on the partslist?

anyway... great model, great experience - lot of improvisation. now i need to order a acrylic glas box to keep it save from little child fingers...

:-)

Pleased to say its finally complete........Very relieved its done and love the final result. GR-75 on the way with some micro fighters.

5bOGZq.jpg

8MZv9G.jpg

iQiJtJ.jpg

0lgR0x.jpg

Way to go Hunter! I have a very similar setup with the UCS falcon on a table below the the shelf :)

What a great set-up! Looks like all your missing is Cavegods AT-AT. The 10019 Tantive IV is one of my favorite Lego USC models but it easy to see that it has some scale issues compared with the Neb-B. Make sure to order these parts to "trick-out" your MF: #4150px24 ( Light Gray Tile, Round 2 x 2 with Hatch Hexagonal Pattern) and part #98100pb05 (Light Bluish Gray Cone 2 x 2 Truncated with Millennium Falcon Cockpit). One display note. Your MF is mounted too far back on the spine. Looks like you may have switch the MF position with the center support position.

Edited by ecmo47