Sign in to follow this  
SirNadroj

Custom Plastic Max Rebo Casts For Sale

You don't have to buy it. :-P I just wanted to see if they'd sell or not, because the success of this project, once I refine it, determines whether or not I continue making other peices. To sell, anyway. ;-)

I know Red Bean and Arealight's are much better, but it doesn't really make me feel better when we compare. :-$ Again, this is my first, and I'm taking advice to heart. *wub*

I can understand that you're trying to see how much interest there is in these, but why are you trying to sell them now if you know they need more refining? It would be strange for someone to buy a piece if they knew they could wait and buy a refined version.

I think you should keep the stomach on the piece, it adds well to the figure, I think.

I can understand that you're trying to see how much interest there is in these, but why are you trying to sell them now if you know they need more refining? It would be strange for someone to buy a piece if they knew they could wait and buy a refined version.

I think you should keep the stomach on the piece, it adds well to the figure, I think.

8-

Nice Work! *y*

The unpainted looks really good !!

The painted is also nice, but a little odd, If i recall there is a liquid that dyes the surface of the plastic

I think that would work much better but I don't know too much about it..

Great Job and keep the customs rollin!! *sweet*

P

Nice Work! *y*

The unpainted looks really good !!

The painted is also nice, but a little odd, If i recall there is a liquid that dyes the surface of the plastic

I think that would work much better but I don't know too much about it..

Great Job and keep the customs rollin!! *sweet*

P

Thanks piranha! I think the dye you're talking about only tints it, and makes it a transparent coloured version. I think. ;-) But you're right, they do make them, and I am using pigmentable clay. But the paint does cover up some of the imperfections, for example, one prototype had air bubbles, and paint covered it up. But I am using varnish that gives it a protective shine, so I don't think it matters. If I eventually perfect these, the casts for sale wouldn't have air bubbles, because I would have perfected them already. *wacko*

;-)

Confused!? ;-) I mean buy the blue torsos and short blue legs from bricklink so I can have complete figures and not the custom head. ;-)

Man, with all those ;-) I get the feeling I'm talking to Chuck :-D And do you mean for your "army"? Better than letting them just sit there :-P

Man, with all those ;-) I get the feeling I'm talking to Chuck :-D And do you mean for your "army"? Better than letting them just sit there :-P

Chuck? I was thinking it was more like Yoda... :-P

Chuck? I was thinking it was more like Yoda... :-P

If I was talking like Chuck I would have put a " :-| " in there somewhere. :-D Just teasin' you, Chuck! :-P

Yoda? Wait, is that good or bad? :-D

If I was talking like Chuck I would have put a " :-| " in there somewhere. :-D Just teasin' you, Chuck! :-P

Yoda? Wait, is that good or bad? :-D

:-| :-| :-| :-| :-|

if the smilie wasn't meant to be used it wouldn't have been part of the selection. :-P ....and back to your rebo!

:-| :-| :-| :-| :-|

if the smilie wasn't meant to be used it wouldn't have been part of the selection. :-P ....and back to your rebo!

:-| Just a joke! :-D ;-)

So...... the light blue variation came out nicely. I'll have to remember to photograph him tomorrow.

I think this is really good for a first attempt SirNadroj *y*

I would agree with the others when I say that trying to sell it before it has been refined is taking it a little far though. That said, good luck getting some orders, and I hope to see you improve as a sculptor! :-)

Clearly as the Batmobile has morphed into the Brickmobile! >:-)

As a customizer and sculpter myself I want to share some of my experience I gained over the years.

When scultpting, you should always have wet fingers. This prevents the sculpt from getting fingerprints all over it, giving your sculpt a nice and smooth surface.

Sanding helps a lot smoothing the surface, too. But the first sculpt already has to be quite smooth. Sanding is meant to remove minor errors.

When painting your sculpts, you should use adequate colors. Games Workshop colors work very good. Forget about Revell colors, they are rubbish.

And now some general advice for custom pieces:

When you just finished your first custom, you can post it to gather comments. But its not the brightest idea to "force" others to buy this first custom. Especially when your customs will be compared with the quality of either official pieces or other custom pieces.

Post your stuff, collect comments, improve your work, and when you perfected your skills you can start offering casts.

Now my comments for this particular piece.

Max Reebo isn

OK...my views:

1. If I was you, I'd try a more generic piece that would be useful in more circumstances than humorous vignettes and Jabba's Palace - say a new type of sword or hat e.t.c Also the texture is quite difficult to decide on - do you go for Lego Smooth or SW cloth? Replicating old lego pieces, like the Shako, would be another good start: there is a huge demand for shakos on BL and a reliable source wouldn't go amiss; other parts are worth trying, like the incredibly expensive black short sword - $20 on BL! Customs would sell for less, but would still have a fair amount of interest... ;-)

2. I noticed the piece isn't symmetrical - that would be a good start - it's quite noticeable that the eyes aren't matching here -

front.jpg
X-O

3. What did the eBay one go for?

4. Is the paint you used an exact match of the official colour, or just a near match?

5. Good try, but not there yet! :-) In the words of Padme: "Don't try and grow up too fast."

SlyOwl

Edited by SlyOwl

Thank you for feedback. Here are some pics with the torsos and legs, and Nem Bees, another countless jedi from the clone wars:

ortolans.jpg

nembees.jpg

gang.jpg

Hey, since this mostly turned into a thread for advice on customs I'm moving this to the customs Workshop. If you plan on making future sales of a polished, finalized product feel free to make a new topic in the BSTF forum :-)

Hey, since this mostly turned into a thread for advice on customs I'm moving this to the customs Workshop. If you plan on making future sales of a polished, finalized product feel free to make a new topic in the BSTF forum :-)

No problem, thanks SW4J! :-)

Well well, nice headpiece. And very good for a first try.

Actually, I'd like to see you making a Davy Jones custom headpiece. *sweet*

Although I agree with the others, It's not the best idea to try to sell a first try.

I would've posted it here, wait for any comments and advices first, and wait till it has reached the level of perfection, and then sell it. :-)

Well, onto your actual custom. I'm not interested in Star Wars that much. But if I ever need an elephant man, I'd buy one of these! :-D