Building Days 23 & 24 / Building Time - 11hrs / Total Building Time - 102.5hrs

A couple of days building this time with not really a great deal to show for it but I'm happy with what there is after some of the parts, namely the 1x1 & 1x2 slopes, did their best to drive me insane when trying to fit them. Suffice to say I had to raid my spare parts drawers to find replacements for the 11 needed after their predecessors relocated themselves at varying speeds and interesting trajectories to who knows where. A 20 minute search of my shed by Mrs Grum found 3 of the escapees with no sign of their 8 accomplises. The shed's due for its annual sort out soon and I'm sure they'll turn up.

When the newly recruited parts were successfully fitted to the plates they made up the top edges of the wings. Fitting the first one to the build proved frustrating. When pressing it into place the shocks compressed & my hand slipped off and it came apart as it did when I tried retrieve it after failing into the engine bay. The answer was to place the small but surprisingly strong cardboard box you may have noticed lurking in some photos under the front bumper lifting the front axle off the table and hey presto, no more compressed shocks and the parts were fitted with no more breakages.

I was getting toward the end of today’s building when it occurred to me that the end of this build was creeping slowly into sight and a strange feeling of impending disappointment came over me. I hadn't thought too much about it before but i guess it just shows how much I've been enjoying this build. Before I go. I know it could be argued that the end of the build has been in sight since the first two parts were put together and yes, you’d be right. It could also be argued that I’m talking nonsense and…

20230415_141022.jpg

20230415_141853.jpg

20230415_150515.jpg

20230415_151603.jpg

20230415_153307.jpg

20230418-133348.jpg

20230418_140421.jpg

20230418_141717.jpg

20230418-151430.jpg

20230418-151616.jpg

The eagle eyed among you will notice in the next picture that the 3 x 5 Liftarm Bent is 1 stud too far back. Now guess who was more rhino eyed than eagle and so sat for over 20 minutes trying to fathom out why it didn't fit 🥴.

20230418-152253.jpg

20230418_161238.jpg

20230418-161720.jpg

Edited by grum64
Corrected photo sequence

9 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Some of the beams in the hood have the moulding mark facing up. I could never leave them like that! *huh*

Like you, I don’t like to see the moulding marks. I’ve just looked back through the pics and noticed a few more have escaped my detection so not only am I losing my mind but my eyesight also. Oh joy 🫤.

Edited by grum64
Spelling. Again.

That's why I love this forum so much, there aren't that many people in real life I can talk to about moulding marks otherwise. And I have to admit, I pay attention to it too...

I particularly hate it when I've completed a complex sub-assembly, thinking all of the moulding marks are underneath - then seeing that it needs to be flipped. :wall:

On 4/20/2023 at 3:19 AM, grum64 said:

A couple of days building this time with not really a great deal to show for it but I'm happy with what there is after some of the parts, namely the 1x1 & 1x2 slopes, did their best to drive me insane when trying to fit them. Suffice to say I had to raid my spare parts drawers to find replacements for the 11 needed after their predecessors relocated themselves at varying speeds and interesting trajectories to who knows where. A 20 minute search of my shed by Mrs Grum found 3 of the escapees with no sign of their 8 accomplises. The shed's due for its annual sort out soon and I'm sure they'll turn up.

My god! Love the way you described the whole situation! Maybe they fled across the border? Looking great on your progress. Keep up the good work and an eye out for anymore escapees.

On 4/20/2023 at 3:37 AM, Maaboo35 said:

Some of the beams in the hood have the moulding mark facing up. I could never leave them like that! *huh*

Yes it bother me so much, BUT I'll let it slide for grum64. Everyone else better not slip up.

You may be right about the parts having fled across the border. A further search of the shed was carried out today but only two of the fugitives were apprehended. Their nine accomplices remain at large but fear not, they’ll not get away. The search team has been expanded after a generous reward was offered for their capture. Jake, George and Penny will be here at the weekend apparently armed with a handheld Dyson, golf club and magnifying glass. I'm told they're all essential tools 🫡

Edited by grum64
Grammatical & punctuation errors corrected

After a year, yes a year, spent patiently waiting 🤥 it’s finally happening! Binky’s back this weekend! I’m SO excited 🥳

Surely news as momentous as this needs front paging!

IMG-6328.jpg

On 4/27/2023 at 8:34 PM, grum64 said:

You may be right about the parts having fled across the border. A further search of the shed was carried out today but only two of the fugitives were apprehended. Their nine accomplices remain at large but fear not, they’ll not get away. The search team has been expanded after a generous reward was offered for their capture. Jake, George and Penny will be here at the weekend apparently armed with a handheld Dyson, golf club and magnifying glass. I'm told they're all essential tools 🫡

It gives me much joy just to read stories like this. :pir-laugh: 

On 4/28/2023 at 6:47 PM, grum64 said:

Binky’s back this weekend!

Yes, this was long waited surprise.

On 5/8/2023 at 11:44 AM, Jurss said:

Yes, this was long waited surprise.

And a very welcome one. I was first introduced to it several years ago by my good friend Jeroen Ottens (to whom I shall be forever grateful) and since then I’ve watched every episode more times than I’m sure would considered normal by most people. It’s such a great channel, so much better than all the others that do a similar thing and that’s purely down to the long suffering Richard and his bracket obsessed pet lunatic, Nic. Both hilarious, both genius engineers.

Yes, I'm also really waiting for next episodes. Where is that bus?!

Those gaps between I'm trying to fill with urchfab channel. No humor, but also good technical approach.

Building Days 25 & 26 / Building Time - 6hrs / Total Building Time - 108.5hrs

I know this build has been a bit on and well, mostly off really and so has taken a long time but fear not, the Defender is finally, yes finally finished. In truth it was actually finished a few weeks ago but literally 15 minutes after its completion I got a call from a friend asking if he could store a couple of items of furniture for a day or two. 

As the last of the couple of items passed by en route to my shed I remembered I’d not taken my final lot of pictures and a quick look inside showed I was unlikely to be doing so. I couldn’t see the table let alone the Defender sitting on it. Somewhere. No matter, it would only be for a day or two.

Five weeks later and the multitude of cardboard & plastic boxes, velour covered furnishings and numerous other Facebook freebies that have been squatting in my shed have gone and I've been able to get in there and take my pictures. Those weeks weren't wasted though as I took the opportunity to go through the (digital) instructions for my next build, the Cat D11, and made some changes to the build sequence that should hopefully make things a bit easier for me.

Anyway, the Defender. 

This is a set I've very much enjoyed building. It’s been challenging, often to the point of teeth gnashing frustration but to be completely fair that’s probably more me than the set. I drove myself nuts building the gearbox(es). I think I’d read so much about possible errors in the instructions and wrongly fitted diffs making wheels turn the wrong direction or not at all that I feared I’d make a mistake. I usually double check gear placement but this time it was check, double check and double check again so as to avoid having to disassemble large parts of the build to put any mistakes right. The extra care paid off though as it all seems to work as it should and so far I've had none of the dreaded clicking noises.

There are only couple of things I don’t like. One's the much discussed, over complicated rear door lock that, whilst it does the job, is a less than elegant solution. Also I'm not very keen on the rear seat base, it looks half finished and not what someone would like to sit on (a problem I don’t have as I always carry my own). I'll try & do something about both in the coming weeks as it’ll be a while before it gets Pimped.

I'm really pleased with how it looks, there's certainly no mistaking what it's meant to be. Even without the stickers it’s a great looking model. Personally, I don’t miss them. I have that set of ready printed parts which I’ll use when I upgrade the Defender to the latest Pimped version 1.4 but that won't be for a while though. I'll let the Little Darlings have some time to play with it first.

02/06/2023 - I forgot to say…

As mentioned in a previous post I’d had several parts missing and was hoping they’d turn up in amongst the yet to be opened bags. The build is now finished and annoyingly none of the missing parts have materialised in fact another 2 Reddish Brown 5L Axles with Stop are conspicuous only by their absence. The full list is:

1 x 33299 Liftarm, Modified Crank with Pin 1 x 3 & Axle Holes - Black

1 x 60483 Liftarm Thick 1 x 2 - Axle Hole - Olive Green

1 x 11946 Panel Fairing #21 Very Small Smooth - White

1 x 44 Axle & Pin Connector Toggle Joint Smooth - Black

3 x 15462 Axle 5L with Stop - Reddish Brown

I know these things happen but it’s annoying none the less. I’m lucky as I have a good selection of spares but some builders aren’t that lucky and are likely to have a wait of a few weeks. I’ve been in touch with Lego who as always were very helpful. The replacements are on the way.

As for the 9 missing 1x1 & 1x2 slopes. After a very thorough search of my shed J, G & P apprehended 7 of the errant little blighters. The other 2 fugitives remain at large.

20230418_141644_2.jpg

20230421_150725.jpg

20230421_155103.jpg

20230422_142424.jpg

20230422_145234.jpg

20230422_145246.jpg

20230422_153000.jpg

20230422_153115.jpg

20230422_154902.jpg

20230422_155132.jpg

20230523_151726.jpg

20230523_153356.jpg

20230523_150600.jpg

20230523_142949.jpg

20230523_145907.jpg

20230523_143756.jpg

20230523_144424.jpg

20230523_152348.jpg

20230523_154348.jpg

Edited by grum64
Rearranged photo order / Added text

Hello My Friends 

In my final Defender build post I wrote about going through the digital instructions for my next build, the Cat D11, and making some changes to the build sequence in an effort to make things a bit easier for me when building. Since then I've received several messages asking what I mean by this and if I would explain how it makes it easier for me to build.

There are times when I find fitting parts a tad difficult. Sometimes this is because other parts/assemblies are in the way or the assembly I'm fitting the parts to is too awkward or too big for me to handle. Occasionally a certain facial appendage gets in the way. We’re not talking Cyrano de Bergerac proportions but what my genes dictated I must have is enough to often impede progress somewhat.

It’s been said I have a tendency to ramble on a bit. Personally I don’t believe a word of it but, on the off chance there's some truth in that, I’ve used screenshots hoping they might mean fewer words and help simplify the explanation. The screenshots are in order of problem step first, solution step next.

When going through the D11 instructions I saw that at step 9 the 2L Pins would be easier to fit before the motors are fitted to the Frame and Diff assembly because holding that assembly would be quite awkward.

IMG-6459.png

So it's back through the instructions to find a step where it would be easier fit them. This took me here, to step 3 where I annotate it as shown.

IMG-6457.png

Once the 2L Pins have been fitted (only half way so as not to be in the way of other parts to be fitted later in the build) it's on to step 4 & beyond.

When I get to step 15 I can see that the Pin with Pin Hole will be very difficult to fit because the motors and T Liftarm (aka Big Boy 🤭) will be in the way.

IMG_6460.png

Again, it's back through the instructions and I find step 6 will be the best time to fit the part and I annotate accordingly.

IMG-6458.png

Further on and I get to steps 45 & 47 where I can see the 2L Pins and Spacers will be a pain to fit.

IMG_6464.png

IMG-6465.png

With an inkling there might be more of the same further on I advance through the pages and sure enough at step 61 there were more pins that would be better fitted at the same time as the others

IMG-6466.png

So it's back through the instructions until I arrive at step 44 which looks the best step to fit the parts and ease what would've been certain frustration. I annotate accordingly.

IMG-6463.png

I really hope this helps give some idea of how and why I change the build sequence.

Note: It’s been pointed out to me that some recent members of our forum might not really understand what I’m going on about and why.  If that's the case may I respectfully suggest that you take a few minutes to read the post at the beginning of this Grums Shed topic and, should you be one of the few that’s had the stamina to get to the end, please come back to read this again. Hopefully it might make more sense then.

Edited by grum64
Problems, problems and more problems

That's a very interesting insight into your process, thank you for sharing :classic::thumbup:

2 hours ago, allanp said:

That's a very interesting insight into your process, thank you for sharing :classic::thumbup:

Thank you. I’ve been asked before and always felt I’d left people with more questions than answers. I think the screenshots help clarify things a bit so basically the less I say the better the understanding 🙊. Story of my life really 🙂.

Building Day 1 / Building Time - 5hrs / Total Building Time - 5hrs

Another day, another set to build. This times it’s the mighty 42131 CAT D11.

I'm a sucker for all heavy plant especially dozers so I’ve been looking forward to this one. I’ve had it since shortly after release but am only now getting round to building it.

I can’t believe that will be my first foray into the world of Control+. I’m interested to see how the dedicated app performs in comparison to the SBricks and BuWizz apps which I’ve been using since each was launched.

Also, I’m interested to see how the build experience compares to the 8275 which I’ve built three times over the years so am pretty familiar with it. I’ve only ever had limited play with it though because I couldn’t easily use the Power Function joysticks. I had planned on add SBricks to it but never got around to doing so (aka I kept forgetting) but this might be the right time to fit them & see how it and the D11 fair against each other. Luckily the 8275 is sitting on the shelf so it'd be a shame not to.

A 7am start to building today to enable me to have a few hours before the hot weather made my shed far too hot to be in. Every year I say I'm going to get the roof insulated and never do. This year...

One thing I really like is the Control+ motors. The flat sides makes them so much easier for me to handle. Also, with so many options for mounting I can see me using them a lot in future. The only fly in the ointment, for me anyways, is the same as with the Power Function motors etc. The cables. They have a complete mind of their own. No matter where I put them they spring back, always managing to be in my way. I do like the new plugs, much easier to connect that their predecessors. 

20230607-161525.jpg

20230621-151155.jpg

Building Day 2 / Building Time - 4.5hrs / Total Building Time - 9.5hrs

Apologies for the length of time since my last post. Two weeks of hot weather stopped me getting in my shed and then a couple of weeks away in beautiful Cornwall with my beloved Mrs Grum have somewhat delayed things but I'm now home and the weather's cooler so building can resume.

Considering I was building today for just over 4.5hrs there doesn't seem to be much to show for it. It’s a little disappointing that I didn't get as much done as I thought I would but any progress is movement in the right direction so all's good.

I know I’ve only been at it for two days but already the big CAT's proving to be an enjoyable building experience. I fear I might be speaking too soon but there’s been no real problems, few frustrations and a distinct but welcome absence of parts with aeronautical ambitions so things are looking good. I may find those words being the only choice on a menu of my own creation but until then I'm happy to declare a win.

20230627-151046.jpg

20230627-152157.jpg

20230627-161346.jpg

20230627-161910.jpg

20230628-145144.jpg

20230628-162731.jpg

I've been asked if I can explain how I fitted the pins on the inside of the frames (shown in the first photo in my previous post / instructions page 42 - Steps 27 & 28).

For several years the only way I could do it was to have part of the frame in my mouth while trying to hold a pin in my teeth so it was inside the frame then try to get it into the correct hole. It was never anything but very time consuming and deeply frustrating.

I tried many other ways to do it over the years with varying degrees of success but a couple of years ago as I sat psyching myself up to fit pins inside frames when out of the blue the 'solution' came to me. As with my post about changing the build sequence, I think pictures will show things better than my explaining.

I start by fitting the pin in the last hole of any suitably lengthy liftarm then use that to help fit the pin in the appropriate hole on the inside of the frame. 

20230627-144346.jpg

The first few times I did this, removing the liftarm would invariably remove the pin as well which wasn’t ideal so I used an axle long enough to go through the frame to the pin leaving a good length outside the frame.

20230627-144418.jpg

Then I just push the axle toward the pin and the liftarm away from it. This way the liftarm’s removed and the pin’s left in place. 

20230627-1446.jpg

Easy and frustration free. Just makes you wonder what on earth took me so long to come up with it.

Edited by grum64
Problem with photos. Again.

Building Day 3 / Building Time - 5.5hrs / Total Building Time - 10.5hrs

Today's been a good day with an amount of progress I’m happy with. 

The only exception to today's smooth running was wasn't much really but it was enough to hold me up for 40 minutes or so, prompt many blustery exhalations and the expressing of a few mild expletives.

The problem was with the Brown 5L axle with Stop that goes through the Yellow 9L Liftarm and 16T Gear.

Screenshot-20230718-191225-Drive.jpg

The axle itself wasn’t the problem but fitting the 3L Connector after Red 16T Clutch was.

Screenshot-20230718-191748-Drive.jpg

Every time I tried to fit the connector onto said axle it just pushed the axle back and because of the size & shape of the assembly I couldn't get any purchase against it to stop it. After tries to numerous to count the solution was so stupidly simple I felt, well, stupid. All it took was the placing of a 2L Liftarm between the axle stop and the ‘hump’ on the Motor. This worked a treat so I did the same, albeit with a 7L Liftarm (across both motors) instead of the 2L, when fitting the 3L Connector and 16T Gear onto the Black 4L Axle with the UV’s. As I said stupidly simple.

20230714-142003.jpg

The remainder of the day’s building went suspiciously and somewhat uncharacteristically well which is a worry.

20230710-161811.jpg

20230710-161854.jpg

20230710-162542.jpg

20230712-151823.jpg

20230712-155318.jpg

20230712-160937.jpg

20230712-164554.jpg

20230714-144534.jpg

20230714-154206.jpg

Awesome work as always Grum :thumbup: I very much look forward to reading more :classic:. If I may ask, has the skills you have gained by building Lego Technic helped you in day to day life? 

Thank you for your kind comments.

Your question's an interesting one and one that’s had me thinking. 

To be completely honest I'm not entirely sure whether I have gained any skills as such building Lego that help me in my day to day life. What I have gained is a level of patience I didn’t know I had.

I always had a ‘never give in, never give up’ attitude to life which served me well especially after my little unplanned off-road excursion (take it from me, pine is not a soft wood!). However, when a young Jake bought me that broken Lego Police car all those years ago and asked me to repair it I found that attitude was very sorely tested to the point of telling him I couldn't do it. I took a lot of persuading to try but once I’d done it that was it, I was hooked. No more doubts just what those who know me say is a now a relentless determination. That’s what I've gained from Lego and it's that that helps me each day.

It's a bit of a longwinded but I hope answers your question.

My apologies for taking so long to reply. I’ve been a tad time deprived of late the reasons for which I’ll not bore you with, not when I’ve got so many D11 posts left to write any one of which will do the job so much better.

Edited by grum64
Layout change. Spelling & grammar.

Problem solved. Thank you Balazas (kbalage)

Hello My Friends

I wonder if I might prevail upon you for a bit of help/advice please.

When carrying out the CAT's self test/calibration (I'm not entirely sure what the correct term is) at step 198 the brown axles rotate in the opposite direction to that shown by the Control+ app as do the hubs when it comes to their turn to be tested.

Because I've been shown to be a tad stupid on occasions (more about that in my next build post) I've run the test a few times and am sure this what I'm seeing. I've also been through my build photos comparing each to the corresponding steps in the instructions and as far as I can see all's as it should be.

I've been through this forum and didn't find the answer so I asked Mr Google and as you might expect, I'm more confused than ever. Some say 'mine did that and I just carried on. All was OK' to 'I ignored it and ended up taking the build apart & rebuilding it' and 'nothing to worry about, it's a problem with the app'.

I don't want to progress with the build until I know one way or another whether I've made a mistake & can set about rebuilding it (very recent experience confirms this isn’t something I want to do) or it's a quirk of the Control+ app in which case I can get on with building.

Can anyone shed some light on what's going on please?

Thank you.

Edited by grum64

Building Day 4, 5 & 6 (day 5 wasted) / Combined Building Time - 8.5hrs / Total Building Time - 19hrs

Ever had one of those days building when everything goes so well it’s like you're being guided by a benevolent Lego Guardian Angel? Well, build day 5 wasn't one of those. I think an explanation is needed.

I went into the shed and opened my iPad for the CAT's instructions but instead of the home page I was presented with one of my build photos. As I went to close it I noticed I’d made a mistake and a quick flick back through the instructions showed the orientation of the orange Wave Selector was wrong. Words of a less than gentlemanly nature were expressed.

I spent over 4hrs trying to remove parts in as big an assemblies as I could, until enough had been removed that I could get at the Wave Selector but, confusingly it was correct in its orientation.

It was then I had a realisation so startling that, had I looked in a mirror something equine in appearance would’ve greeted my gaze.

Yes the Wave Selector was incorrectly oriented in the photo I was looking at but it was in the Recently Deleted folder not my Library. That was the real mistake, one so stupid that any Stupidometer would’ve refused to measure it for fear it would break the machine.

I had noticed my error when editing that particular days photos & deleted any photos showing it. I’d reorientated the Wave Selector, took new photos and thought no more about it. Until it was too late.

I’d like to say lesson learned but…

20230720-132445.jpg

20230720-140034.jpg

20230720-143932.jpg

20230720-162251.jpg

20230801-145901.jpg

20230801-151701.jpg

20230801-155218.jpg
A simple but effective little assembly that serves as the on/off switch for the hub.
20230803-133433.jpg

20230803-134714.jpg

20230803-152637.jpg

20230805-144210.jpg

20230805-144249.jpg

Edited by grum64
Picture correction

Build Day 7 / Building Time - 2hrs / Total Building Time - 20hrs

Just a couple of hours building today. It’s just 2 pictures but it marks the end of Bags 2 so thought I’d post a quick update. 

Thankfully todays building was problem and stupidity free. Yes, I was surprised too.

Bag 3 should be a hoot. There’ll be engine to build, a V12, and you know how much I like putting together ‘crankshafts’. 

20230810-101312.jpg

20230810-112825.jpg