7 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Nice work, I like the outrigger system. It looks smaller than the dedicated parts we have now. 

Thank you Bart. The outrigger assembly is a nice design utilising the parts of the day and I think better than using the dedicated parts we have today.

8 hours ago, grum64 said:

Thank you Bart. The outrigger assembly is a nice design utilising the parts of the day and I think better than using the dedicated parts we have today.

I agree! I think the outriggers were better using common parts rather than the dedicated parts. I think that the outriggers using the new parts (such as those on the 42043) are too large. Using common parts the outriggers can be built much smaller. I also believe that in some ways that the 8258 is a better designed set than some of today's sets. But I don't want to hate on progress.

Andy D

20 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Good progress!

Seeing the photos I remember that the new 16T gears had a really low clutching power at the time. I think there are even parts in the construction where an axle was protruding solely for the reason to put an extra bush on it to prevent the gear from sliding of the axle. However when I look at your photos there seems to be a 16T gear that is attached to the end of an axle (at the rear of the outrigger assy) ready to fall off. Do my memories fail me, will this gear be fixed in another way or where only a few 16T gears secured with an extra bush?

Having had a look at the instructions & build and it appears the 16T is indeed held by a 3789 axle pin without friction Ridges.

20180710_183059.jpg

20180710_184441.jpg

This is of course assuming that I'm looking at the same 16T as yourself :classic:

Edited by grum64
Spelling

Build Day 4 - Days build time 5hrs 15mins / Total build time 16hrs 55 mins

Due to time constraints this evening you'll no doubt be pleased to hear I'll not be boring you with another installment of ramblings. You lucky people :classic:.

Being pushed for time I'll just say I had a longer session building today so have made pretty good progress with no problems.

20180710_181641.jpg

20180710_151358.jpg

20180710_154934.jpg

20180710_181753.jpg

20180714_105340.jpg

20180714_110701.jpg

20180714_111858.jpg

20180714_114400.jpg

20180714_120855.jpg

20180714_125503.jpg

20180714_131541.jpg

20180714_134506.jpg

20180714_135114.jpg

20180714_143734.jpg

40 minutes ago, grum64 said:

Due to time constraints this evening you'll no doubt be pleased to hear I'll not be boring you with another installment of ramblings. You lucky people :classic:.

But we like your ramblings! They add context to the photos.

Good progress continues.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Really enjoying the updates. I like how they placed the XL motor down the rear - it helps balance the extra weight up front.

Looking forward to the next instalment :)

11 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Wow. Turns out 8258 is one of only three Technic sets to incorporate the polarity switch.

Hadn't realised that. 

11 hours ago, Andy D said:

But we like your ramblings! They add context to the photos.

Good progress continues.

Andy D

Thank you Andy.

As for my ramblings. I'd just started writing when a group of mates turned up bearing steaks, fish, beer & charcoal. What was I to do? Eurobricks or BBQ? I'll just say the t-bones and fresh mackrel were exceptionally good :sweet:

Normal service will be resumed soon. You have been warned!

Edited by grum64

Even not reading the last pages of the topic, just looking on the photo guess you are rebuilding 8258 truck :grin:

6 hours ago, grum64 said:

Hadn't realised that. 

Thank you Andy.

As for my ramblings. I'd just started writing when a group of mates turned up bearing steaks, fish, beer & charcoal. What was I to do? Eurobricks or BBQ? I'll just say the t-bones and fresh mackrel were exceptionally good :sweet:

Normal service will be resumed soon. You have been warned!

You are correct! That is not a competition... steaks and beer or EB... Steaks and beer win every time!

Andy D

6 hours ago, Andy D said:

You are correct! That is not a competition... steaks and beer or EB... Steaks and beer win every time!

Andy D

In my case it was more steak & sparkling water (I don't drink) but no matter, it was a great evening.

On 7/15/2018 at 9:40 AM, Aleh said:

Even not reading the last pages of the topic, just looking on the photo guess you are rebuilding 8258 truck :grin:

I am indeed and it's great fun :classic:

Build Day 5 - Days building time 4hrs - Total build time 20hrs 55 mins

Whilst this un-British like hot spell continues building has moved from my shed to the cool shade of the carport. This seemed to facinate a delivery driver who reversed his van into our neighbours fence whist staring at the strange man with a panchant for eating LEGO.

As you can see things are moving on at a reasonable pace (for me anyway), certainly faster than the first time I built it although, if I go on making mistakes like I did today it's going to take much longer.

You may have noticed in the first picture that the left hand 48989 Pin Connector is one stud to the left out of place. For some reason I failed to notice this, despite the 5L axle that goes through it standing 1 stud proud of the bush of which it was meant to sit flush. By this point you think I'd have twigged but no, not even when I fitted the final 16T gear and there was a 1 stud gap between it and the other 16T gear it should have meshed with. It wasn't until the outrigger assembly was complete and I was taking pictures did it occur to me that something wasnt right. It must have taken twice as long to take it apart than it took to build AND rebuild it.

Then there were the rear mudguards that I built indentical to eachother so of course one fitted & the other was the wrong way round.

Sometimes stupid just doesn't seem word enough.

I hope the above makes sense. It seemed to as I was writing but reading it back I'm not quite so sure.

Anyway, I'll try to keep tomorrow blunder free. Until then, here are todays pics.

20180715_110003.jpg

20180716_145541.jpg

20180716_152220.jpg

20180716_173539.jpg

20180716_173741.jpg

20180718_142016.jpg

20180718_160133.jpg

20180718_165716.jpg

11 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

Did someone mention bbq??

Oh yes. 9 mates, a particularly fine selection of meat, fish & other tasty goodies and a couple of eskies of beer (and a bottle or two of sparkling water) made for a very, very enjoyable evening.

Edited by grum64
Correction

I still like the 8258 outriggers! So simple yet functional.

keep on building 

Andy D

6 hours ago, grum64 said:

Oh yes. 19 mates, a particularly fine selection of meat, fish & other tasty goodies and a couple of eskies of beer (and a bottle or two of sparkling water) made for a very, very enjoyable evening.

Come on man! How to work now?

Actually it's great you uploading step by step photo, so anyone can build your version of 8285 :thumbup:

Clive, you finally got me! I just finished my 42054 and started reading an out the 8258 outriggers on your thread, and I gave in... Got my 8258 out, mostly sorted, I will start building tomorrow!

It's all your fault!  (Thanks!)

Andy D

On 7/19/2018 at 6:34 AM, Aleh said:

Come on man! How to work now?

Actually it's great you uploading step by step photo, so anyone can build your version of 8285 :thumbup:

Point taken :classic:

As for the 8258, I'm not clever enough to be building my own version so am building it as per the instructions.

27 minutes ago, Andy D said:

Clive, you finally got me! I just finished my 42054 and started reading an out the 8258 outriggers on your thread, and I gave in... Got my 8258 out, mostly sorted, I will start building tomorrow!

It's all your fault!  (Thanks!)

Andy D

If my building the 8258 has made you seek out yours and build it then that's something I'm only too happy to be blamed for :classic:. It's a terrific set. I don't know whether you've built yours before but if you haven't, I promise you you won't be disappointed. If you have, I'm sure you're going to enjoy getting reaquinted with it. Either way, I've a feeling yours may well be finished before mine :sweet:

20 minutes ago, grum64 said:

Point taken :classic:

As for the 8258, I'm not clever enough to be building my own version so am building it as per the instructions.

If my building the 8258 has made you seek out yours and build it then that's something I'm only too happy to be blamed for :classic:. It's a terrific set. I don't know whether you've built yours before but if you haven't, I promise you you won't be disappointed. If you have, I'm sure you're going to enjoy getting reaquinted with it. Either way, I've a feeling yours may well be finished before mine :sweet:

I have built mine before, just last year, in fact. I had to disassemble it for my seasonal displays, but now to build again.

Wheither I will finish before you, or you before me... well, I will be starting Chemo Tuesday, so I shall see how well I feel and how much time I feel like building.

Either way, I am prepared for the good days.

Looking forward to more of your building and discussion to help me stay motivated.

Andy D

9 hours ago, Andy D said:

I have built mine before, just last year, in fact. I had to disassemble it for my seasonal displays, but now to build again.

Wheither I will finish before you, or you before me... well, I will be starting Chemo Tuesday, so I shall see how well I feel and how much time I feel like building.

Either way, I am prepared for the good days.

Looking forward to more of your building and discussion to help me stay motivated.

Andy D

I wish you all the very best with the Chemo on Tuesday Andy and that all goes well. Hope also that you then feel well enough to get plenty of building done.

With you having built the 8258 before you'll know you're in for a very satisfying build.

Build Day 6/7 - Building time 5hrs 35mins - Total build time 26hrs 5mins

Having not had much time since my last post it's good that with things less busy I can at last get some building done.

This post covers two days as very little progress was made on the first day as the engine took an inordinate amount of time to put together.

I’ve built many of them over the years but it's still the only thing I've not been able to fully master. Obviously practice doesn’t always make perfect.

It’s joining the 2L axles, 2853 Crankshafts and 2854 Crankshaft Centre’s that’s particularly difficult due to the size and shapes of the parts. There’s nothing straight to easily get purchase on to push them together without sending parts flying in all directions. Even using my trusty clamps doesn’t help, the parts just fly off at greater velocity. When the fragile  crankshaft is eventually together I start to get the pistons in the cylinders and it comes apart. After rebuilding it for the 12-15th time it it becomes an real exercise in self control.

Anyways, cutting this long and mostly nonsensicle story short, it took a ridiculous 3hrs for me to put the engine together which is by far the longest it’s ever taken me.

At this point the Chiron comes to mind. I think I might have to allow a whole day for that engine! :cry_sad:

As for today, building went really well, helped by everything being pretty straightforward.

Those of you who are familar with the 8258 build may notice that picture 10 shows several assemblies fitted together in a different sequence to the instructions.

The black 15L liftarm should be attached to the main build first with the red 15L liftarm attached to it next. Also, the seats should be fitted several stages further on but I remembed having all kinds of trouble fitting them when I built this the first time round due to the partially built cab and numerous other parts getting in the way making difficult to press them in place. It's much easier fitting the assemblies as a whole at this point than seperately in the correct order. I just hope I'm right in thinking the gap between the seat tops and structure above is enough to get the lower cab assembly through.

Note: If you look at picture 5 you'll see the 8258 has a nice Pearl Light Grey fan not orange as with the 42082 so no colour vomit, no sensibilities offended and no division of opinion. All is right with the world :wink:.

Lastly, I'm pleased to say the 8275 has been found. I thought I’d looked through all the boxes in my shed but it seems I didn't look hard enough as while looking again I found Bully hiding in a 9396 box. I should have twigged sooner as I have only one 9396 but two boxes. All that’s by the by, I'm just very happy it's turned up at long last and so it will be built very soon. Better late than never.

20180720_100117.jpg

20180720_100447.jpg

20180720_101217.jpg

20180720_110524.jpg

20180720_125233.jpg

20180723_213259.jpg

20180726_085747.jpg

20180723_213326.jpg

20180726_090945.jpg

20180723_180634.jpg

20180726_104636.jpg

Edited by grum64
Punctuation

Bloody hell, Grum - it took you three hours to build an engine? That's usually the part I do quickest, if only because it's so damn boring. Granted, though, I've never done anything bigger than a V6. :laugh: 

Good to see you're progressing, and well done for finding Bully! :thumbup:

Wow! Great progress! It looks like you will be done long before me. I hope to get back to it tomorrow.

Andy D