CM4Sci

71040 The Disney Castle Discussion

5 minutes ago, atomic80 said:

You mean step 361 not page 361? I see that a two 1x2 plates and 1 1x6 plate is used. Both brown..did you mean to switch those out to two 1x3 plates and a 2x6 plate and then put 1x1 brick on the side? Do you mind taking a close up picture to show us how it looks? I'm having a hard time envisioning how you did that.

Thanks!

Yes, step 361 page 218.   Sorry about that.   

And i will try to post a pic.  Have never tried to post one before so.... no promises but will try 

Not sure why the photos wont upload.  It says they are too big but I know they are smaller than what is required.  Sorry.  

5 hours ago, atomic80 said:

I see that a two 1x2 plates and 1 1x6 plate is used. Both brown..did you mean to switch those out to two 1x3 plates and a 2x6 plate and then put 1x1 brick on the side? Do you mind taking a close up picture to show us how it looks? I'm having a hard time envisioning how you did that.

Thanks!

I used a 2x6 where it calls for a 1x6.  

I used 1x3's on the side where it called for 1x2's. 

Then stacked 1x1 bricks up the sides to fill in the space behind the white 1x4 pillars.  

Hope that helps.   

Thank you BrickOCD again for the tips...I made some modifications to mine. I used a white 1x6 tile instead of brown and grey 1x3's on the sides so it blends in better. I also added LED lights and I must say that's probably the single BEST modification for this set EVER!

30089946936_3f1fcb99b1_h.jpgLEGO Disney Castle by Jason Tang, on Flickr

Minnie Mouse fits MUCH better now..I also added two black 1x1 plate pieces under Mickey's feet so he's taller than Minnie. 

30089947266_eb22aaf3dd_h.jpgLEGO Disney Castle by Jason Tang, on Flickr

Edited by atomic80

31 minutes ago, atomic80 said:

Thank you BrickOCD again for the tips...I made some modifications to mine. I used a white 1x6 tile instead of brown and grey 1x3's on the sides so it blends in better. I also added LED lights and I must say that's probably the single BEST modification for this set EVER!

Minnie Mouse fits MUCH better now..I also added two black 1x1 plate pieces under Mickey's feet so he's taller than Minnie. 

You're welcome.  Those lights are fantastic.  Are they purple or blue?  And if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the lights?  I would like to get some also.  

And I agree with using white and grey instead of brown.  I thought of that later on but not until after i had it built.  

Your build really looks great!

24 minutes ago, BrickOCD said:

You're welcome.  Those lights are fantastic.  Are they purple or blue?  And if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the lights?  I would like to get some also.  

And I agree with using white and grey instead of brown.  I thought of that later on but not until after i had it built.  

Your build really looks great!

Thank you! I thought so too but I can't take credit for this idea. mgoblue1997 and probably others before have done the same but he was the one who helped me find the right parts to make this lighting project possible. The lower section is pink and the upper sections are blue. They're actually adjustable to whatever color you set them to. 

You'll need one of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040FJ27S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and you'll need these connectors to connect the LED strips once you've cut them to size: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00977FHG4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Noticed that the set was briefly back in stock last night in the U.S. Now showing as "Out of Stock" again though.

9 hours ago, atomic80 said:

LEGO Disney Castle by Jason Tang, on Flickr

LEGO Disney Castle by Jason Tang, on Flickr

Wow! This is fantastic Atomic80. Would love to see you add lights to your other stuff like the Eiffel Tower and Carousel and see them altogether.

Edited by Captain Nemo
Please do not quote pictures

8 hours ago, atomic80 said:

Thank you! I thought so too but I can't take credit for this idea. mgoblue1997 and probably others before have done the same but he was the one who helped me find the right parts to make this lighting project possible. The lower section is pink and the upper sections are blue. They're actually adjustable to whatever color you set them to. 

You'll need one of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040FJ27S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and you'll need these connectors to connect the LED strips once you've cut them to size: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00977FHG4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Thanks!  And Thank You too mgoblue1997!

Now i can finally light up my modulars too.

2 hours ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

Noticed that the set was briefly back in stock last night in the U.S. Now showing as "Out of Stock" again though.

I'm surprised they stayed in stock that long.  Hopefully they will do another run before double VIP points run out.  Personally, I'm holding out for black friday (maybe 3x VIP points?).

I need one more set.  I want to do a full castle MOC but i think it will take a full three sets unless pick a brick has the parts needed to hinge it together properly.   Depends on which is cheaper.  According to Ebay prices - it might be cheaper to buy the 3 sets and sell off the minifigs and addition pieces later.  People are already paying over $50 just for Tinkerbell.   This is definitely going to be an interesting set to watch.  

Wow....geez....I have two of these Disney castle sets but buying a 3rd probably is out of the question for me at the moment. I'm hoping to get the new Death Star set sometime soon. Maybe someday if someone figures out how to make a complete MOC and it does in fact needs 3 sets then I'll reconsider. 

I have the 3x sets of lights from brickstuff.com to light up my modulars...that's my next project. The Eiffel Tower, Ferris Wheel and Carousel is definitely on the list of things to do...the issue however with the carousel and ferris wheel is the rotating parts. The wires would get all wound up but the rep from Brickstuff tells me that they have a "rotating" contact point so that solves that issue. We'll see... 

40 minutes ago, atomic80 said:

Wow....geez....I have two of these Disney castle sets but buying a 3rd probably is out of the question for me at the moment. I'm hoping to get the new Death Star set sometime soon. Maybe someday if someone figures out how to make a complete MOC and it does in fact needs 3 sets then I'll reconsider. 

I have the 3x sets of lights from brickstuff.com to light up my modulars...that's my next project. The Eiffel Tower, Ferris Wheel and Carousel is definitely on the list of things to do...the issue however with the carousel and ferris wheel is the rotating parts. The wires would get all wound up but the rep from Brickstuff tells me that they have a "rotating" contact point so that solves that issue. We'll see... 

I know exactly what you mean about buying three sets.  Way expensive!!!   At this point in time though, it could be feasible because each additional set could only cost around $150 (if the extra pieces are eventually sold).   My problem is that I never sell any LEGO pieces.  They just get hoarded.  I need to get together the pieces I already have then just try to order what's needed through Pick A Brick.  I know I want all new blue pieces.  This is one time my hoarding might pay off lol.   Also my wall elements may not be in the best condition.  

If you can light up the ferris wheel, you are a lighting guru! I have ideas for that but this isn't the thread for it.  

40 minutes ago, atomic80 said:

I know exactly what you mean about buying three sets.  Way expensive!!!   At this point in time though, it could be feasible because each additional set could only cost around $150 (if the extra pieces are eventually sold).   My problem is that I never sell any LEGO pieces.  They just get hoarded.  I need to get together the pieces I already have then just try to order what's needed through Pick A Brick.  I know I want all new blue pieces.  This is one time my hoarding might pay off lol.   Also my wall elements may not be in the best condition.  

If you can light up the ferris wheel, you are a lighting guru! I have ideas for that but this isn't the thread for it.  

Sorry about the double post.  Update 10 is killing me.  

After recovering from seeing that you had put the Castle in the sand, I read the story and loved it.  Great imagination!   Good pics throughout too.  

1 hour ago, BrickOCD said:

After recovering from seeing that you had put the Castle in the sand, I read the story and loved it.  Great imagination!   Good pics throughout too.  

I was thinking Nooooooooo! The sand is going to scratch the Lego's (not sure if it's possible or not). But amazing picture seeing it in the sand.

Just unfortunate the mistake in the instruction book has claimed another victim of the dreaded sticker being partially covered on the left front turret.

It was available Wednesday, then I finally got money from my mom because she was buying it for my daughter. I try later that day, sold out...drats! I called yesterday and the lady said they had some available, but weren't listed online, so I was still able to order one. So if you need one, and it says sold out online, it might help to call? I've never done it before, so that was a first for me.

I am excited to see it in the flesh, but at the same time I am sick to my stomach spending that much on ONE set...

1 hour ago, BrickOCD said:

(Sorry about that. HAd some problems with a previous aborted reply showing up when I tried to reply and took me a bit to figure out how to erase the previous reply and then replace with the new one)

Are you sure that is real sand? I thought it might be some of that play sand that clumps together so nice. -- Kinetic Sand

Edited by Sarah

2 hours ago, Sarah said:

Are you sure that is real sand? I thought it might be some of that play sand that clumps together so nice. -- Kinetic Sand

I "was" sure it was real sand until you mentioned kinetic sand.  I have no idea now.  Never heard of kinetic sand before.   Is kinetic sand safe for LEGO pieces?  It wont scratch them?  

Kinetic sand is really soft, not even a sand, and it doesn't even stick to your skin. A bookshop I went into last weekend had some on the counter, so I had a squeeze while waiting. Almost reminded me of those "toys" that can be made with a balloon and flour put inside. soft and squishy. I have read it's nearly killed a few dogs that ate it, as it clumps up inside and can't be digested or passed.

Whether thats Kinetic sand in the photo, I don't know. However, it looks very effective.

My guess is it's real sand then, but just because of the quantity.  

Thanks for mentioning the fact about what happens if dogs eat it.  There's quite a few animals that live here.  

Just to figure out the mystery with the sand in my review. :) It is a real sand and the idea to put the castle on the top of the sand pile was very spontaneous. I didn't even know that we have such a big sand pile on our back yard. I wanted to take pictures of the castle in nearby park but when I saw the sand there was no way back. :)

It took some time to properly clean the castle from sand when I finished photographing. But it was worth it. :) 

Thank you for your kind words about pictures, idea and fairytale in my review. :) 

This sets building details are pretty epic and I especially love the way each room is a different scene from a disney movie. However, I still think it's crazy they didn't put Cinderela in this set since this is her very own castle!

Edited by The lego fan