Sign in to follow this  
Barduck

WIP SD-70

Working on my own version of the SD-70, this is the first draft. As usual I use LDD to do the first versions, so the trucks not being there is only because of LDD not letting me build them as they should. Those trucks will be like the new ones I've put on my SD-60, so a train motor on each end with faked 3-axle look. I'm kinda stuck on the details on the body though, so any comments, idea's, etc are more than welcome. I also feel like she's a bit short but that can just be the impression in LDD, I'm not sure and won't be till I can build her.

25349639056_8298d34e66_c.jpgUnion Pacific EMD SD-70 WIP by Barduck12, on Flickr

The nose looks extremely short height wise to me.

It is short; but the shaping is perfect! Raise it up a few plates(or a brick) and it will be spot on!

Also the area around the horn should be curved. I'll link my photos of SD-70 units later today when I am on my laptop so you can see the roof shape.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

It is short; but the shaping is perfect! Raise it up a few plates(or a brick) and it will be spot on!

You mean raising the nose a few plates so it goes in front of the window a bit? One plate should do it I think

edit: went 2 plates and also added the rosters on top of the engine

25012415259_32d24ede6c_c.jpgUnion Pacific EMD SD-70 take 2 by Barduck12, on Flickr

Edited by Barduck

Yep; raising those plates make it spot on. Probably one of the best EMD Diesel noses I have seen in Lego. If I ever build a EMD in Lego I'll probably use your design for inspiration.

And as promised; my photo collection of SD-70ACe units. Particularly a recent photo I took of UP 8334 shows the roof rather well. Sorry if the photos load slowly; RRPictureArchives isn't the fastest website. http://xboxtravis.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?mid=496

Those changes make it about spot on.

Might want to shorten the cab by one and see how it looks.

To me, it looks like one of the best Lego version I have seen.

Now if we only had good way to go about the 3 axle trucks.

Edited by v6TransAM

Take 4:

25411936865_a2f8ddee00_c.jpg

Changed cabin roof a bit, put some cuved sloped where the horm is and changed the nose just that tiny bit for just a little more detail. Comments welcome

That change in the roof makes it spot on! Can't wait to see it in the Brick now!

The links to the pictures you've shared helped a lot. As for making her in bricks, I'll have to wait till finances are better. At the moment, not counting the trucks, she's at 1437 bricks, guess she'll end up around 1600 in total. I still have to put her in MLCad to make instructions and be able to actually add the trucks aswell

Edited by Barduck

23424336245_f7f433ac04_c.jpg

like this? :devil:

Semi-passable and good are two different things. No offense meant.

We need some kind of Lego actual 3 axle truck(that will prolly never happen)

The brick built truck side frames only look decent once u get in to the wider MOC stuff. I've spent too much time around the real stuff and model stuff, I can't get past it

It looks impressive! I'm glad we don't have long beasts like that in Europe though ;-)

And yes, bogies are a known problem with Lego trains. A realistic width for trains on this track would probably 10 studs but that's not feasible because of other constraints.

It looks impressive! I'm glad we don't have long beasts like that in Europe though ;-)

And yes, bogies are a known problem with Lego trains. A realistic width for trains on this track would probably 10 studs but that's not feasible because of other constraints.

yeah, the trains used in europe for longdistance cargo would only be used as shunters in the states or viseversa. Of course, shunting places in the states are sometimes as long as what we consider longdistance.

But there ain't anything cooler than watching those long beasts pull a train over a mile long at full track speed! Heavy metal man! ;)