Sign in to follow this  
Geekman9097

How to make a turret turn and elevate?

AMX turret.lxf

I've been working on a model of an AMX 13 105 light tank, and decided to take a break from the hull to work on the turret. The attached file is my LDD progress, because for some reason i prefer working digitally before I start putting stuff together.

My first problem is that this turret works by elevating the entire gun carriage, including the autoloader box at the back. My second problem is that this is a small turret. 5x7, so I can't put a motor in there. To help with this, I have a gear in the center that pushes the entire carriage up and down against the side mounts. Now I need to figure out how to put the side mounts on a turntable, so that they can turn.

My third problem is that mock mounted on a turn table, I can't find a way to turn the gear to move the turret. Any ideas?

Blueprints I'm using: http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot/tanks/tanks-a/amx-13-105mm-1.png,

I have built a AMX 13 75, and encountered the same issues. So I limited the traverse of the turret to be only 270°. I also ended up putting all of the motors for it inside the hull, because of the limited space in the turret. I utilized a mini linear actuator to adjust the elevation of the oscillating turret. The turret will have to be scaled up, as you are going to run out of space. I had a case with my AMX, that the wiring was packed so tight with the mechanisms, that a couple of the wires insulation got chewed on by the gears.

An AMX with a 105 is a SPG , so why does It need a Turret ?

Unless it's some odd historically inaccurate case with WoT models, as I know the 90mm and 75mm variants exist.

22606049601_9dc5d6beb2_c.jpgLego AMX 13 75 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

21985612023_d866fb9b42_c.jpgLego AMX 13 75 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

21985612133_a4017564f1_c.jpgLego AMX 13 75 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

21985611933_09d255f705_c.jpgLego AMX 13 75 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

21983995734_17d928987f_c.jpgLego AMX 13 75 (RC) by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

A amx 13 with a 105 doenst have to be an SPG.

Google this: amx-13/105 modèle 58

and what i know is that even some barrels got drilled bigger, to use the 105mm shells.

their is even one in a dutch museum were i went https://www.nmm.nl/zoeken-in-de-collectie/detail/270537/ it is in dutch but maybe you can get some details out of it, or i can translate it.

if you press: meer informatie, you get all the info on the tank

In Wot, they dont put all the models in the game, and a very large amount of the tanks in the game are not completely historycle.

,wrong engine, of a gun it never used or was to big.

i hoped this helped a bit

Janeau

An old build of mine. At 1:50 there's a way to command two functions with a single motor; this may allow you to put all the functions you need in a tiny turret.

For my T-55 I mounted a mLA in the hull and routed it through the turntable to elevate the gun. It allowed for full rotation of the turret, and plenty of free space in the turret. It worked great.

hi  @mahjqa your solution is awesome and is exactly what i have been looking for! I am a newbie so find it hard to re create from just the video .. do you have any more detailed video or instructions on how to build that turret ?   

3 hours ago, lutz11 said:

hi  @mahjqa your solution is awesome and is exactly what i have been looking for! I am a newbie so find it hard to re create from just the video .. do you have any more detailed video or instructions on how to build that turret ?   

Yes, he does. He posts a link to the instructions at the end of the video.

13 hours ago, lutz11 said:

That's great to hear! I see Sariel's beaten me to it. 

10 hours ago, Sariel said:

Yes, he does. He posts a link to the instructions at the end of the video.

Thanks for helping out! I've also got a link to the page.

thanks for getting back to me !  the turret on girl tank instructions 1991250138_girltankturret.jpg.4db1e6433cd623c31cbe6f741a572074.jpg 

looks quite different to the turret at 1.50 in the video turret.jpg.83e192e049e2c7237f6de5ae1d0fb33d.jpg

can you maybe just  confirm if it is basically the same general design idea with just some visual modifications ( that I need to figure out by look at the video  ) or is it a fairly differnet deisgn idea?