Well I started work on another truck. It all started when I was trying to build a car, and wondered why no one puts gearboxes in truck MOCs. So, I decided to make a manual truck with a 2 speed gearbox. I also wanted a pneumatic crane on the back, but wanted all the wires/functions to be routed to the middle of the truck.

Something like this

710479mantgxxlx6X4gruemaxikraft2.jpg

Here's the chassis.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Its quite sturdy and can take some abuse.

I added a bed and the Unimog crane as a test.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Current progress is looking much messier as I have not had any time to order new parts. The front axle has been moved forward one stud and the truck now has Ackermann steering (based off this http://www.moc-pages.../moc.php/320971)

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Excuse the messy colors and such, but I was able to wire all the pneumatics and turntable rotation. I plan to have 3 pneumatic functions: 2 cylinders for the crane and outriggers.

I wanted the sides to be studded and smooth as I liked the tile look. Its quite cramped in the middle but everything works out. Right now, I've hit a road block for the last several weeks. i simply don't know how to design a proper cab or crane for that matter. As of now I've reverse engineered Efferman's knuckleboom crane(http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=477568) in order to gain some inspiration.

As always any feedback or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rishab

Edited by Rishab N

Great progress so far! I agree with you on the tiles I think the sides with the air tanks and the function splitter looks fantastic. :thumbup:

Promising start!

This is just a speculation, but the reason why most dont put a gearbox on a non powered truck is because the focus of the truck is usually what it is carrying, not how it drives.

Personally I would lengthen the truck in the middle (maybe by 7studs) because you will always want/need more space. It also seems as if the front wheels are too far inset.