Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

www.classic-pirates.com

www.classic-castle.com & www.classic-space.com exist, but is there a www.classic-pirates.com?

Over at the LEGO Messages Boards a laddie by the name of Conductor Joe told me that one existed but he couldn't remember the exact address. I've tried variations of the address but haven't had any luck - does anybody know of the existence of such a website?

Now apart from being a funny little boy, what are your reasons behind saying it shouldn't exist?

Be really creative here. Don't write "I was just kidding" because that's boring, really tear into the Pirates and unlease your agression. Only your hate can make you all powerful.

I wasn't dissing pirates at all. It's just that pirates do not have a large enough fanbase to warrant a site. There is no current theme, unless you count 4+ or Vikings, and there isn't really an MOC foundation either.

Now apart from being a funny little boy, what are your reasons behind saying it shouldn't exist?

Be really creative here. Don't write "I was just kidding" because that's boring, really tear into the Pirates and unlease your agression. Only your hate can make you all powerful.

HATE, IT FILLS ME, EWOK EVIL NOW!! HAHAHAHA!

I wasn't dissing pirates at all. It's just that pirates do not have a large enough fanbase to warrant a site. There is no current theme, unless you count 4+ or Vikings, and there isn't really an MOC foundation either.

There's a pre-requisit of the number of fans before something warrants a website? I think not! Anyone with a strong enough interest and the time and money could create one. And it wouldn't surprise me if I ended up doing it myself after the semester is finished...

I wasn't dissing pirates at all.  It's just that pirates do not have a large enough fanbase to warrant a site.  There is no current theme, unless you count 4+ or Vikings, and there isn't really an MOC foundation either.

There's a pre-requisit of the number of fans before something warrants a website? I think not! Anyone with a strong enough interest and the time and money could create one. And it wouldn't surprise me if I ended up doing it myself after the semester is finished...

It's not a pre-requisite, but if you're hoping for a high number of visitors...

I'd only need a high number of visitors if I was trying to sell or advertise something. The more visitors the more bandwith the website uses and the more the hosting plan will cost. However a plan with 5GB of traffic per month should suffice quite nicely.

I know this isn't what you are looking for, but I am sure that Classic Castle allows the discussion of pirates MOCs/Sets, I am sure I have seen some before.

If not, you could always create Classic-Pirates. CC was made just over a year ago and CS only a few months back.

Jon.

No point if there's already a similiar site. I'm not fussed. This forum will do fine for my discussion for the time being. Beats the Lego.com message boards!

Beats the Lego.com message boards!

It surely does mate!!!

ARRGGH! *skull* *skull* *skull* *skull*

Havn't we talked about this subject before? It would be great if it would be put to action, Mr. Phes if this happens I am definentley willing to be a mod/admin when you create it. I'm all in for suporting something I love.

As you may have noticed we're slowly expanding, as to whether this forum becomes an independant website remains unknown. The next major set foward will be to register a domain like www.piratelego.com but I'm not even going to approach The LEGO Company about getting permission until this forum has more posts than any other forum on Eurobricks. And the posts must be of the highest quality. I.e. very far removed from spam.

I'd define spam as a post (usually very short) with no relevance to the thread. I've seen forums with threads that have half a dozen posts where the users just post smileys as a reaction to a previous post. Since I'm promoting this forum as "The World's Largest Online Pirate LEGO Discussion and Information Base" I'd expect the users here do a bit better that just post a smiley. A relevant sentence at the very least.

There is no requirement to write a paragraph, but I'd rather someone didn't post many short posts for the sake of getting a high post count. It just depends on the context of the discussion to how long a post should be. Bottom line its the old quality over quantity. If someone can write a short but really useful post then that's fine, but if someone has an opinion its always good to know why they are thinking this and what has influenced them. Anyone can write "That MOC is great" but how meaningful is that unless that user species why they think that MOC is great. Obviously its going to be different for each user.

Having brought this up I must mention the majority of users who frequent the Pirate Forum have done a good job with their contributions. So far nobody here is in danger of being banned or even repremanded for inapporiate posts.

As to whether there are enough AFOLs to suppose an independant Pirate LEGO Forum I'd say it comes down to awareness. From what I've observed PirateBricks.com didn't succeed due to lack of awareness. There seemed to be no conscious effort to promote the website and let Pirate LEGO enthusiasts know it existed.

I remembered reading about PirateBricks.com months before I actually knew the URL. I wanted to go there but couldn't find it. Much of a website's success comes down to its accessibility and finding it online is a major component of that. That's why I've created the redirection URL www.eurobricks.com/pirates to spread round beacause its a lot nicer to look at than the true URL http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showforum=56.

But www.pirate-lego.com would look even better...

YEs indeed pirate-lego.com would look better. As to answer your question...I have been away, playing music, working, spending time with friends family...A lot of things believe me I have not been wating my time....And yes I have reached 800 posts...I think I'm now the highest poster on eurobricks without the rank of "Fellow" Ohh well *sad* I still keep an eye out here.

Edit: Nope im 2nd :-D

I am goingto have to agree with you phes... i think there are a heck of alot of pirate fans out there that we dont know about.... they might just be more oriented to staying off line or not knowing about our community...

i think this is proved most notably by EBAY

i have done some research, or atleast spying on what people have won and recieved feedback for when they bid on pirates... the majority of the people i find are different bidders.... in the last three weeks there has been atleast 100 different bidders that have won pirate stuff in the past. thats 100 other people buying lego pirate... lets discount half as resellers, which i know is ridiculous but lets just say... then out of those 50 lets say 25 of them are the core posters from this board (which i know is not true... but still) and then lets take out half as say they are buying them for kids (which probably isnt true either.. but i am giving the lowest total.) that is 12 or 13 that don't know about these boards this month. and thats a very minimal guess...

Plus, look at the prices, the law of supply and demand is telling us there is alot of demand for these items. I lost a parts ship two days ago at the last second (and i was doing last second bidding too) because it jumped 40 dollars( for an incomplete set and some spare pieces) in 30 seconds!

i just think there is a much greater community out there then we know of.... now only if we couldfind those guysthat are buying whole collections and bring them here.

Yes, I agree with you Mr SkaForHire about there being a much bigger community that we realise. I'm looking at how the Pirate forum has grown since I began advertising it two months ago and the numbers have quadrupled in this time. This is why I'm pushing to get the promotional image in as many Bricklshelf Folders and MOCpages as possible.

Obviously if we find a way of advertising on eBay we're also going to attract users that aren't aware of Brickshelf or MOCpages or other online LEGO forums so we're going to find a compeletly audience.

I appreciate the work you're doing for this forum. You're the kind of user this forum would like to attract!

YEs indeed pirate-lego.com would look better. As to answer your question...I have been away, playing music, working, spending time with friends family...A lot of things believe me I have not been wating my time....And yes I have reached 800 posts...I think I'm now the highest poster on eurobricks without the rank of "Fellow" Ohh well *sad* I still keep an eye out here.

Edit: Nope im 2nd :-D

Ah yes, true. I have to take care of this. Shoot me a message about it on msn this week endif you can so I can grant you the rank of fellow. Who's the second dude ?

Have you had the unfortunte experience of partaking on the LEGO.com message boards, Mr Tiber?

Actually I do, I have lots of complaints of their board,It took days before a post was added, some posts don't arrive at all and the suddenly the pirate message board was....gone

Once upon a time I used to post regularly on the LEGO.com message boards because I didn't have anywhere to write so I know exactly what its like. I used to save my posts in a Word DOC and copy & paste them every I posted. Then if the post was rejected I'd just send it again... And again... Until it was posted. Some of the moderators were more lenient than others so sometimes they posts were approved and other times nothing.

But the LEGO messageboards really annoyed me because they wouldn't allow external links or anything remotely critical about LEGO to pass through. Fortunately I found Eurobricks and kissed those awful message boards good riddance!

Once upon a time I used to post regularly on the LEGO.com message boards because I didn't have anywhere to write so I know exactly what its like. I used to save my posts in a Word DOC and copy & paste them every I posted. Then if the post was rejected I'd just send it again... And again... Until it was posted. Some of the moderators were more lenient than others so sometimes they posts were approved and other times nothing.

But the LEGO messageboards really annoyed me because they wouldn't allow external links or anything remotely critical about LEGO to pass through. Fortunately I found Eurobricks and kissed those awful message boards good riddance!

Ah know I know again, mister Phes! I often read the message board and saw the name mister Phes, when the pirate board was still alive... they deleted it!! >:-( ... ah Eurobricks is way better than their message board... Aye..