Sign in to follow this  
gui45

help needed

I got a new project in mind : building a part of the corderie royale (royal rope factory) at Rochefort. Measuring 370 meters long this was the longest industrial building in Europe at the end of the XVIIth century and the local authorities try to register this site as well as the Charente estuary on the UNESCO list.

14_1.jpg

But i need your help to build the apparent stones in the walls, I know some people have found a way in using flat tiles attached to the walls, I have already seen that several times, in a train station for example but I don't know how to do that.

Any help would be appreciated, thank in advance.

Hello there and welcome back to the forums, Gui! The brick or stone wall technique is quite simple once you learn it, it's basically arranging the 2x2 (and sometimes also 1x1) tiles in an alternating pattern on 1x1 'modified bricks' with studs on the sides of them. Here are some pictures from Martin Jasper's Brickshelf folder.

bw_4.jpg

bw_3.jpg

This one can be achieved with either 47905.1078819302.jpg or a combination of 4733.1068261313.jpg and 6541.1085189210.jpg . Or one can use 4070.1085189308.jpg placed on their sides as shown here --

bw_2.jpg

Here's how to make corners as well -

bw_5.jpg

bw_6.jpg

Hopefully that will help. Feel free to ask any more questions that you have if you need further assistance. :-)

Edited by oo7

oo7 beat me to it! I am quite a "primitive" builder when it comes to walls, and as I do not have a large amount of 1x2 plates( :hmpf: X-O ) I generally just use 2x4 bricks, or whatever can get my grubby paws on! *sweet*

I got a new project in mind : building a part of the corderie royale (royal rope factory) at Rochefort. Measuring 370 meters long

What scale is this MOC going to be? Or how big are you intending to make it?

I love the look of those brick walls!!

That is one of several things I have considered adding to Fort Brighton

Thanks a lot, that is exactly what I was looking for !

@ Mister Phes : I'm just going to build a bit of the real monument, I'd say a few windows long. It will be minifig scale but bigger than what I call the Lego world scale (-> sizes of buildings in the official Lego sets except sets like cafe corner.)

I'm also thinking of building just a part of this rope factory to use as a building on my dock.

woudnt it be easier to just take 1*2 or 1*1 modified brick with technic hole, and put half technic pins in them?

Good luck with your project.

TT

Thanks a lot, that is exactly what I was looking for !

@ Mister Phes : I'm just going to build a bit of the real monument, I'd say a few windows long. It will be minifig scale but bigger than what I call the Lego world scale (-> sizes of buildings in the official Lego sets except sets like cafe corner.)

I'm also thinking of building just a part of this rope factory to use as a building on my dock.

Excellent! I look forward to seeing the outcome of this with eager anticipation.

woudnt it be easier to just take 1*2 or 1*1 modified brick with technic hole, and put half technic pins in them?

You could use half pins in 1x1 technic bricks if you don't mind having all of your tiles spinning around and the fact that you would need to spend quite some time to line them all up. I don't see how you could use 1x2 technic bricks, however.

Will you be adding mini-figures?

Thanks for asking Gui! I needed to know how to build walls too, thanks for the explaination oo7.

I'm looking forward to your MOC, sounds like it's going to be big..

Here are some pictures from Martin Jasper's Brickshelf folder.

Thanks for posting these great tips! *wub* I should give it a go myself.

Gui, do you think it would be appropirate if we change the topic title to "How to build a brick wall" or something along the lines of that?

Is this thread worth indexing do we all think?

As a tutorial you mean?

I think it would be better if someone (oo7 perhaps?) made this tutorial in the YOC forum cause this technique affects almost every theme.

Unless it has been done already offcourse.

yes you're right, it would now be a better title :)

this tutorial is really interesting in any case

Gui, do you think it would be appropirate if we change the topic title to "How to build a brick wall" or something along the lines of that? As a tutorial you mean?

No I didn't. I just meant indexing the thread as a reference.

I think it would be better if someone (oo7 perhaps?) made this tutorial in the YOC forum cause this technique affects almost every theme.

Yes, I can see it how brick walls really benefit the space themes X-D

Poo to the other themes - I want a tutorial on how to make walls for Pirate MOCs! The other themes can get their own bloody tutorial. :-P

Yes!

Is that a challenge? :-D After all, curved walls used to be a just a castle technique, but some space MOCs, like Blacktron II use it now.

Will you be adding mini-figures?

For the moment I'll just build a new building for my dock, which will be modified, this new building will be inspired by this rope factory and could serve to study the design. I'll see later if I build something bigger. The more I think the more I realise I need large amounts of parts. There will be minfigs around in any case.

No I didn't. I just meant indexing the thread as a reference.

Well, if that's the case.... AYE!!

Certainly think it should be indexed

Adding as a tutorial for other (not all) themes would be good too

I concur, I was wondering how you made them walls myself. Perhaps not for all themes but it could certainly be useful for Pirates and Town, can't it?

Mr Phes? :-)

Wow, those are great tips!!! *wub* Never did understand how to do the space between the tiles...

I think that should be indexed! *y*

Could anyone tell me how to build the round walls, without using 1x1 round bricks??

That'd be great!

Thanx guys!