mediumsnowman

[WIP - LDD - MOC] 16x32 "Affordable" Ghostbusters HQ

Hi all, I'm currently working on a more "affordable" GBHQ for those who are determined to own a Ghostbusters HQ but don't want to shell out $350. (Like me :laugh:)

Here's my progress so far:

24236596802_b781b7c484_b.jpg

I aim to keep all the main architectural and interior details intact and I think I'm doing alright so far. More photos to come as I make more progress. I'm not sure about how the brickwork around the windows is turning out, so suggestions are more than welcome. :classic:

...and I misspelled Ghostbusters. :facepalm: If a mod could correct that it would be awesome. :look:

I fixed the windows. They look better and are more accurate.

24051307220_7f89dc0cd0_o.png

I need to finish off some interior details and tile the top. Then the second floor is done! I think I'll call it a night. More coming (hopefully) tomorrow! :sweet:

Looks good! I agree that the windows are a bit odd. Perhaps a different building technique than used in the official set might help?

The windows looks better but i feel that the space between the tiles next to them looks odd now. Maybe move the windows even more to make room for two studs between the tiles next to the window will look more appropriate ?

Yet, its taking shape. :classic:

This is supposed to fit into a modular town, yes?

It could, but the sidewalks are a bit too narrow and having a half-modular as a corner creates all kinds of problems. Other than that, replace some bricks at the base with those technic 1x2 thingies and it would work just fine. :classic:

My laptop crashed... again. Luckily the file is backed up. Consider this project on hold while I sort out the tech issues. :blush:

Thats a shame.

My laptop has also begun crashing at random the last few months. Always worries me when working on a project and tend to save it every 5th minute.

Hope you sort it out rather fast as i really want to se how this turns out ! :thumbup:

This looks pretty good. How much do you expect to "save" in terms of pieces? Is it half the piece count of the retail set?

I'm estimating it will finish out at 1700-2000 pieces.

Hey, re your project I think brick colour is important to cost - standard red bricks are much more affordable and do a decent enough job. Plus the use of tiles on the outside for bricks may not be needed...

24080144229_873dcb7b16_b.jpgDSCN0180 by Gav*, on Flickr

Just a thought.

Have a look here... no doubt you have. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93651

What a great translation! It's an interesting challenge to shrink things down and keep as much detail as possible.

gravrelcraw--I like that you included the Mystery Machine in with the Ecto Mobile. It's a great mash-up.

Edited by Xon67

<deleted duplicate post...>

Edited by Xon67

It's done! Clocks in at 1782 pieces, right at the lower end of my predicted range. :sweet:

24947079245_1ccea556f6_c.jpg

I used some large dark red plates (like 1x12, 1x10, etc.) that I can imagine are very expensive. Switching the 1x4's bricks to 1x2's might also help, as I know those were on the PAB wall a while back so the market is well-stocked. Regular red could be a decent alternatve as one of the commenters mentioned above.

Features a full interior and removable floors, but this one took 2 hours to render on the third try (laptop crashed first two times) and I don't really feel like going through that again for the interiors at the moment. I'll just leave the file here and maybe someone with a faster computer could be so kind as to put up some renders. :look:

Budget GBHQ.lxf

Edited by mediumsnowman

This thread is great. You know, you could save a lot of bricks by making this a middle set without the sides and a full interior. Make it 32 wide to fit Ecto inside, or 16 with a narrower Ecto.

Edited by gotoAndLego

This thread is great. You know, you could save a lot of bricks by making this a middle set without the sides and a full interior. Make it 32 wide to fit Ecto inside, or 16 with a narrower Ecto.

Neat idea! You know what, that's going to be next project. I'll probably make a new thread when it's finished. :classic:

That's certainly a cool idea and very well executed too! Only thing missing is a City scale Ecto-1 now. :classic:

I'd love to see it built in the real brick. Even though I'd imagine the amount of dark red and lbg would still make it quite expensive.

Also, I really like that it fits nicely with the Town Modulars.

i got the big one and i got the smaller one that someone else has posted but this one is way better in terms of size for a city street i think

well done on the out come of this it looks absolutely fab and i'm gonna have a look at the bricklist to see what i have in the spares dept to build it

many thanks for sharing this with us