Major_Ton

The UCS Hype. What will 2017 bring? (40th Anniversary)

On 9/1/2017 at 10:47 AM, VaderFan2187 said:

While I'm happy, I'm also kinda disappointed with all the rereleases. Are the designers running out of ideas?

Totally agree. I'm starting to be very disappointed with TLG: 

1) Winter Village Toy Shop rerelease

2) Assault on Hoth UCS (UCS???)

3) Death Star rerelease.

On 7/1/2017 at 0:29 AM, LOBOT-OMY said:

Tantive 4 - PLEASE !!!!!!!!!! :classic:

Yes, I vote for an UCS Tantine IV

6 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Haha, that'll be a rerelease too

The previous Tantive only had 1408 pieces, making it quite small by UCS standards. The ship could be done with 3K+ pieces, which would make it not be a rerelease...

On 1/9/2017 at 7:47 PM, VaderFan2187 said:

While I'm happy, I'm also kinda disappointed with all the rereleases. Are the designers running out of ideas?

More like running out of source material. The only things that haven't been released as of yet that aren't massive star cruisers that would end up being 3000+ pieces are PT ships, an A-Wing and some TIE variants. 

Edited by Brikkyy13
+

1 hour ago, Brikkyy13 said:

More like running out of source material. The only things that haven't been released as of yet that aren't massive star cruisers that would end up being 3000+ pieces are PT ships, an A-Wing and some TIE variants. 

Then do some PT! Or more Maul-style characters.

AAT, A-wing, a proper Death Star, Venator, Homing Spider Droid, The Ghost, The Phantom, The Phantom II, Jabba's Sail Barge, Desert Skiff, Jedi Interceptor, Vulture Droid, Droid Tri-fighter, Clone Turbo Tank... the list is very long.

9 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Haha, that'll be a rerelease too

You're right!

Lego hasn't ever be clear about the UCS definition. For example in UCS playsets, Ewok Village is not UCS and Assault on Hoth yes! I think that EV is a big playset that truly represents a Star Wars legendary location so I would consider it an UCS, I do not need an entire forest. In Assault on Hoth we have only a big gate and we're still waiting for the Echo Base... A gate is less than a 10% of the actual base, so I do not think that it has to carry the UCS medal.

It's just a marketing gimmick, it's not really important and doesn't (well, shouldn't ) make the actual content of the product more or less valuable.

Edited by atlas

I just can't see a re-release of 10179 without significant downsizing.  Under current pricing it would be a $600 set, which at that amount, what would be the point?  You can bricklink your own for that much with a few modifications.  Outside this forum, I doubt Lego sees a big demand for a $600 model.  Sure the Death Star was $400 for years, but that also had 20 minifigs and kids loved it. 

21 hours ago, Schneeds said:

I just can't see a re-release of 10179 without significant downsizing.  Under current pricing it would be a $600 set, which at that amount, what would be the point?  You can bricklink your own for that much with a few modifications.  Outside this forum, I doubt Lego sees a big demand for a $600 model.  Sure the Death Star was $400 for years, but that also had 20 minifigs and kids loved it. 

That's a fair point, the Falcon didn't have that play value for kids, nor the minifigs, so it would be a hit only amongst collectors...but then again, that would be the point of UCS. Anyway, I am hoping for a cheaper set, around the 200-300$ area, that would obviously sell better. But I'm not crazy about the idea that we'd get a MF so soon again, even if I don't have any of them.

My guess is that the next UCS Falcon (whether it comes this year or next) will be downsized considerably. I think it will will fall in between 2015's System scale build from TFA and the original UCS set, at around 3000 pieces... making it available for ±$350 US. Probably with an interior this time to appeal to kids and to differentiate from the previous UCS set. While the original UCS Falcon is beyond impressive, most adults (let alone kids) don't have the money or space to display a 5000-piece, 3' x 2' model that can't be lifted, requires so much internal structure that a playable interior is near-impossible, and costs $650+, adjusting for inflation. 

All the signs seem to point toward a UCS Falcon this year, but I still think next year would be a better fit given the Han Solo movie coming in 2018. And, I worry that if we don't get a new Tantive IV this year of all years (given the synergy of Rogue One, Rebels, and the 40th anniversary) it won't ever happen.

7 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I worry that if we don't get a new Tantive IV this year of all years (given the synergy of Rogue One, Rebels, and the 40th anniversary) it won't ever happen.

I hope you are wrong but I've thought the same thing...

On 1/13/2017 at 0:45 AM, brobert said:

That's a fair point, the Falcon didn't have that play value for kids, nor the minifigs, so it would be a hit only amongst collectors...but then again, that would be the point of UCS. 

It is called Ultimate Collector's Series :wink:

4 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Yeah that's what I was referring to, maybe I phrased it badly.

4 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

And yet we have Hoth.  And Ewok Village, etc.  As far as $300+ sets go, the trend is moving against us. 

6 minutes ago, Schneeds said:

And yet we have Hoth.  And Ewok Village, etc.  As far as $300+ sets go, the trend is moving against us. 

I have laxed my wishes for a UCS set... I want ONE BIG model.

So Ewok Village and Death Star are ok for me.

Yet Hoth still fails! :angry:

5 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

I have laxed my wishes for a UCS set... I want ONE BIG model.

So Ewok Village and Death Star are ok for me.

Yet Hoth still fails! :angry:

Which is interesting, because most of the people who bash TLG for Insult on Hoth, are somehow totally OK with them re-releasing the DS....

Probably because the Hoth set is basically a shitty attempt at a diorama-like set, while e.g. the Ewok village looks like one cohesive model (Although technically not UCS), and so does the DS technically, but in my eyes that doesn't save it from the sins of being a rehash and having absolutely no display value in an AFOL shrine.

6 hours ago, brobert said:

Which is interesting, because most of the people who bash TLG for Insult on Hoth, are somehow totally OK with them re-releasing the DS....

Probably because the Hoth set is basically a shitty attempt at a diorama-like set, while e.g. the Ewok village looks like one cohesive model (Although technically not UCS), and so does the DS technically, but in my eyes that doesn't save it from the sins of being a rehash and having absolutely no display value in an AFOL shrine.

Lol you mean me? :D

I get it doesn't have display value in an AFOL shrine… but I don't have 10188, and even though I don't have many Hoth sets, Assault on Hoth just looks terrible on display (unlike 75159). However I think they could have waited a couple more years before rereleasing the Death Star.

8 hours ago, brobert said:

........DS technically, but in my eyes that doesn't save it from the sins of being a rehash and having absolutely no display value in an AFOL shrine.

Different strokes for different folks I guess but my 10188 certainly has pride of place in my Lego room.

Cant say I was overly impressed with the quick retire and then rehash of it but I kind of understand some of TLG's reasoning even if I don't agree.

Id be happy with the supposed  Snowspeeder and obviously more than happy with a new UCS Falcon since I don't have either, long term collectors who have them understandably feel different 

1 minute ago, Brickbashbosh said:

Different strokes for different folks I guess but my 10188 certainly has pride of place in my Lego room.

Cant say I was overly impressed with the quick retire and then rehash of it but I kind of understand some of TLG's reasoning even if I don't agree.

Id be happy with the supposed  Snowspeeder and obviously more than happy with a new UCS Falcon since I don't have either, long term collectors who have them understandably feel different 

TLG is absolutely trolling the collectors with these rereleases.

11 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Lol you mean me? :D

I get it doesn't have display value in an AFOL shrine… but I don't have 10188, and even though I don't have many Hoth sets, Assault on Hoth just looks terrible on display (unlike 75159). However I think they could have waited a couple more years before rereleasing the Death Star.

Well I didn't want to point fingers... :tongue:

Yeah, I haven't seen the Hoth set on display yet, but I can imagine how puny it must look like. 

I prefer my own diorama of 3 Hoth sets, it's not much but perfect for my space. 

9 hours ago, Brickbashbosh said:

I am e.g. the furthest thing from a long time AFOL but I wouldn't want a snowspeeder, nor a Falcon, I know it's kind of a heresy, but I've had enough Falcon hype last year  in 2015 with TFA, I'd much rather have a set that wasn't released a 1000 times in different sizes and variations. That said, that's the most likely because of the anniversary, and the fact that it is the single most iconic ship in the saga.

And honestly, I think @VaderFan2187 is right, they are totally trolling us. 

1 hour ago, brobert said:

Well I didn't want to point fingers... :tongue:

Yeah, I haven't seen the Hoth set on display yet, but I can imagine how puny it must look like. 

Here it is in all its glory:

75098 Assault on Hoth

Compare it to this 10236-1.jpg?201605160204 

And this 

29577006066_11c8b85400_z.jpg

And honestly, which looks better? The scattered 75098 or the more cohesive 75159 and 10236? 

10236 hands down. And I'm not gonna say 75159, I've made up my mind about that a long time ago :P 

But yes, I agree, it's supposed to be a UCS set, and you'd have to spend potentially at least 100$ more to make it look like it's supposed to. It's an absolute disgrace, we all seem to be in agreement about that.