SkaForHire

New Island Discovered! Challenge I and II posted. (linked here)

CHALLENGE I

CHALLENGE II

NOTE: Your entries to each challenge should be linked to the individual challenge thread, not this thread!

New Island Discovered!

King Fernado VII had seen how quickly the MCTC had pounced on Nellisa in just the few years the Eslandolans had secured the island. He felt that the island itself may even be lost to the influence of the merchant company, so he put together a two action solution. He sent Renato Filamento to Nellisa to attempt to wrestle back control of the island. He also send out a new expedition of exploration, one that would rival Cato’s and Renato’s first voyages to New Terra.

He chose Ivo Fortesque, one of Eslandola’s great sailors, to lead the expedition. Fortesque, a family man and respected captain, graciously accepted his king’s commission. He was given control of the Santa Clara, along with a few minor vessels, and left for New Terra. After refitting at Kings Port, and then again at Nova Terelli, he sailed East into the unknown.

the_departure.png

He sailed 15 days due Northeast, as that was the best way to tack into the winds, and he had no specific destination. On the last day Derelin Magini yelled down from the crow’s nest of the Santa Clara, “Land Ho!” Ivo paid the young man the reward he promised the first person that spots new land, 20 gold Doubloons. He then prepared to land his vessel.

It took another day to find a suitable beach, but the long boats were brought out and Fortesque himself was on the lead boat. As they approached the beach, the Eslandolians gasped in surprise. There were people there! The curious natives came out to greet the Ivo and his men. These were the first New Terrans that any Old Worlder had ever seen beyond Terraversa.

santa_clara_new_shores_s.png

As the two groups approached one another, they were both cautious, but two things stuck in Ivo’s mind. First, he was going to be a very famous man. Second, these natives did not seem too surprised to see foreigners…

[OCC: Thank you to KolonialBeamter for making these wonderful pictures. Also, I am away from my map making software, so the updated maps will be made later this week.]

Challenge I

Challenge II

Here are the Maps for Berelli (The Eslandolan Name for the Island.)

Unlike Nelissa where the Eslandolans could control the stem of colonization, with all of the major nations in the Terraversa Sea now, it is unclear if Ivo was the first explorer to find this island. It has now become disputed territory with many names.

24123652631_4f32919439_b.jpgBerelliwnogrid by skaforhire, on Flickr

With grid:

24180153216_191d9d203e_b.jpgBerelli1grid by skaforhire, on Flickr

I resent the implication that the Sea Rats are outlaws! Objection! It is the rest of you nations that are the criminals. Stealing from your people under the guise of taxation! We Sea Rats believe in free commerce! (Which sometimes means taking from said criminal nations to teach them a lesson pirate_laugh2.gif )

It is slightly northeast of Nelissa, I will have a map up soon, there are rumors that some other islands have been found as well.

A flurry of recent reports have come in, and there seem to be at least 13 new islands in the near vicinity of Nelissa.

23613059744_76af96a9fc_b.jpgNew Batch One by skaforhire, on Flickr

A word to the wise, it can be heartbreaking to plant a new colony or settlement on one of these new islands and find that another nation has already done so as well! Careful in your claiming land! (IE: After challenge one and two, nations are going to pick from these 12 unnamed islands. You can still build on them before this, but if another faction takes over the island you chose to build on, they may force your settlement off! [although, they may also let you keep it, so it is a gamble!])

Are there any official terrain and elevation stats for these islands?

Let me see if I can dig up an elevation chart from the mapping program, but all of them are pretty low. Actually, most of the islands that we will be seeing this year are low elevation. as for terrain, these will come in the future as new maps are made for each island, I am just behind on the islands we already know about! Most features will be open for naming.

Do you use GIMP for your map making?

The planet started on Fractal Terrains 3, zoomed sections of the planet were converted to Campaign Cartographer 3, then saved as a JPG. Then they were made into a PSD layered file in Photoshop, where grids, scales, names, etc... were added, and then resaved as a JPG for the published versions. You could substitute Gimp in there for PS, but I had the world making software from years ago, and decided it was much easier than making a geographically authentic looking map by hand.

If I am correct, the winner can NOT pick Berelli (as it is not one of the 12 islands to be divided?)

So let's say I'll claim a spot on Berelli for Elysabethtown and I have the granted charter for that settlement, we can start building officialy there?

24079551950_6614a61bbc.jpg

If I understand correctly, other nations have the right as well to build somewhere on Berelli, making it a future zone of diplomatic disputes?

If I am correct, the winner can NOT pick Berelli (as it is not one of the 12 islands to be divided?)

So let's say I'll claim a spot on Berelli for Elysabethtown and I have the granted charter for that settlement, we can start building officialy there?

24079551950_6614a61bbc.jpg

If I understand correctly, other nations have the right as well to build somewhere on Berelli, making it a future zone of diplomatic disputes?

This is correct. You could actually build it on any of those islands, but they would be way more risky. I predict that Berelli will be fought over for years to come.