Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

Wait, $60? Are we seeing another price spike in Star Wars or just TFA Star Wars? I don't think this is across the board because other 2016 lines seem to be priced well.

Minecraft and frozen sets are also priced too high. Is it a license thing?

Are you really being that daft? How can you say CMF's *aren't* exclusive? You tell me what other set ANY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has been in, considering how many have been released? Good luck finding even 5 of them in any other set ever released.

Just because an engine can be designed to produce 300 horsepower does it mean every single engine of that size should be made to produce that? Just because TLG offers a free fig on May the 4th, does it mean they are screwing customers out of a free minifig everytime someone buys something from them outside of the free fig period?! Heck no.

You are simply portraying the ugly side of someone being spoiled by TLG's capability expecting it all the time, wanting everything possible just because it has been done before.

TLG want to keep a reason for people wanting to buy a Slave 1, and the arm printing is one of those reasons. Im guessing you have a job and buy your own stuff, because i can't imagine a kid caring this much about armbprinting... So when you buy absolutely anything, do you 100% always buy the best premium product there is out there, or have you ever bought a mid range thing? Because the best is most frequently expensive, and i can bet you don't always buy the best of everything... But why not when it is possible?

I guess I am being daft.

CMFs aren't really minifigures in exclusive sets in the same way. They are a small, inexpensive product. As for whether or not they appear in sets: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. At least 7 times, a CMF has been used in another set.

The engine argument is hardly comparable. I'd also say that exclusive giveaway figures aren't in the same category, either. Although, I am rather disappointed that the OT C-3PO in the Droid Escape is not up to the standards set by the TFA C-3PO polybag, with arm and side leg printing.

I'd compare this to video games. In the age of HD graphics, you aren't likely to see a game made using low-poly graphics or pixel art unless it is a direct style choice. This is because the standards have been raised, again and again, by an increase in technology and what gaming companies are capable of producing. Fans expect the newest games to have the best quality graphics, and anything less (especially if produced by a company that has shown they can create visually stunning games) is considered a step backwards, a downgrade, undesirable.

I'm not portraying the ugly side, or being spoiled by anything. I'd say that LEGO is displaying the ugly side if they are indeed doing this solely to drive sales of the UCS Slave I. The reason to buy the Slave I should be the dang Slave I. In the same way that you say someone wouldn't care that much about arm printing, do you really think it will drive sales of the Slave I set that much?

Of course I don't always buy the best of everything. It would be foolish to assume so. But this is a minifigure we're talking about. I can't imagine it costs LEGO that much more to produce the Boba Fett minifigure with arm printing versus without, and as such, I can't imagine a good reason not to have a figure to that quality in this set (or every set).

I don't get why this would be upsetting to someone else, unless they spent the money to buy the Slave I for the minifigure and don't want their investment devalued. And honestly, that's the way investments work. People don't buy stock in the stock market without taking a risk that it will lose value, and LEGO should be no different.

All I am doing is expressing my disappointment at the new product because it is poorer in quality from the previous version. I am doing this because I want to see progress for LEGO. I would like to see LEGO continue to push themselves to create consistently better products, increasing their standards. I'm not just here whining that I want something. I'm making a statement about how LEGO can improve as a company, and create more products that more people can enjoy more.

Yes, x105Black, give TLG some lessons on how to build a brand image. I'm sure they have total amateurs working on it. Send them your resume while you are at it. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Spyderlord

Yes, x105Black, give TLG some lessons on how to build a brand image. I'm sure they have total amateurs working on it. Send them your resume while you are at it. :hmpf_bad:

OK now, there's no need to be snide. I'm a fan of LEGO, and I would like to see better LEGO in the future. What's wrong with that?

The argument is pretty pointless but Lego will clearly put exclusive figures in expensive sets... or at least Exclusive variants as an extra incentive to purchase that set.

Minifigures are a large part of Lego now so having a figure with some level of exclusivity as part of a large set makes sense. That's why Vader is in sets that are over £50. It's why the Ghostbusters figures have arm printing on the Ghostbusters HQ set and Venkman has a slimed variant on his torso print.

A figure is of no lesser quality if it's simply a variant with slightly less print. Lego will continue to make better Lego and they'll continue to put exclusive figures, or exclusive variants, in the more expensive sets.

The argument is pretty pointless but Lego will clearly put exclusive figures in expensive sets... or at least Exclusive variants as an extra incentive to purchase that set.

Minifigures are a large part of Lego now so having a figure with some level of exclusivity as part of a large set makes sense. That's why Vader is in sets that are over £50. It's why the Ghostbusters figures have arm printing on the Ghostbusters HQ set and Venkman has a slimed variant on his torso print.

A figure is of no lesser quality if it's simply a variant with slightly less print. Lego will continue to make better Lego and they'll continue to put exclusive figures, or exclusive variants, in the more expensive sets.

I appreciate this reasoned response. However, I'd also like to point out that the upcoming Dimensions set with Venkman will only cost $30 in USD, and that minifigure has arm printing. I will also concede that this version is in the more expensive Level Pack rather than the cheaper Fun Packs, but it's still worth noting that they often release minifigures to these upgraded standards in sets well below the $50 range.

I believe that minifigures with more printing are of a higher quality, and that LEGO should utilize these resources more often, even in less expensive sets.

The TIE fighter pilot in the UCS is another good example. If I bought that UCS its nice to think there was an added bonus of an exclusive minifigure that is set apart from the one i got in the advent calendar the year before. They've done exactly the same thing by putting arm printing on it to set it apart.

It's the same with anything. Cars. Buy the more expensive model and get leather seats, better stereo, better aircon, sporty suspension. Whether each of those is an incentive to buy is debatable, but its a nice bonus and feel good factor when you've spent more money on a premium product.

The TIE fighter pilot in the UCS is another good example. If I bought that UCS its nice to think there was an added bonus of an exclusive minifigure that is set apart from the one i got in the advent calendar the year before. They've done exactly the same thing by putting arm printing on it to set it apart.

It's the same with anything. Cars. Buy the more expensive model and get leather seats, better stereo, better aircon, sporty suspension. Whether each of those is an incentive to buy is debatable, but its a nice bonus and feel good factor when you've spent more money on a premium product.

But this is arm printing. It is understandable that those upgrades would mean a large increase in cost in a car, but I don't see how that applies to arm printing on a small plastic minifigure.

I'll agree that it is nice to get something exclusive with a more expensive set. A minfigure is appropriate for that, but surely there's a better way than deliberately making all subsequent variants to a lesser standard.

I'd also like to point out that the upcoming Dimensions set with Venkman will only cost $30 in USD, and that minifigure has arm printing.

I'd still say that $30 for a single figure in a pack is a relatively expensive way to sell a single figure. With this item the figure is the secondary product to actually getting the base with which to activate the character... the figure is decoration in this sense. That just includes arm printing... the GBHQ then goes one step further with a slimed variant as another reason to pick that set up along with the arm printed versions of the rest of the team... If you go the other way round, for people that buy the GBHQ still might feel the need to pick up the Dimensions set to get the un-slimed Venkman variant.

The figure in the Dimensions sets are reason enough for some people to buy the set and probably discard the base or sell it at a much reduced cost. With the right figure I'd easily consider buying a Dimensions set and I don't own a gaming console.

Look man, if you want an "up to standards" Boba Fett minifigure, I have a couple useful links for you: This& This. If you demand high standards on your minifigures, then surely you won't mind these high prices? Economics 101. The Law of Supply and Demand. As said before, TLG is first and foremost a business.

Edited by Junior Shark

But this is arm printing. It is understandable that those upgrades would mean a large increase in cost in a car, but I don't see how that applies to arm printing on a small plastic minifigure.

I'll agree that it is nice to get something exclusive with a more expensive set. A minfigure is appropriate for that, but surely there's a better way than deliberately making all subsequent variants to a lesser standard.

Another way to look at it, and how you should be viewing it, is the minifigures 'without' the arm printing are the normal variants, not a substandard variant now because TLG decided to put some extra work with a select amount of minifigures. How many minifigs do you see that have printed arms? Not that many. That's why they are special.

It has nothing to do with the cost of only "printing on a small plastic minifigure" (although there is some extra cost as it's an extra step in the process), but more to make these minifigs more unique and special, and to get you to buy their UCS sets (like Slave I).

This is something you see in all collectibles. It's not new for TLG, and shouldn't be something that is viewed as TLG lessening their QC, it's something they are doing intentionally.

Blown away by TFA - the movie. Can't wait what Lego will do in future sets, more specifically the summer ones!

Blown away by TFA - the movie.

So would you say it was better than Phantom Menace? :grin:

Obviously, not looking for any spoilers. :sweet:

Does anyone know if there is any word on a new Star Destroyer? As I believe the current one is going to be retiring soon.

Edited by Hobbun

But it's not really a deliberate action but more a business decision to include exclusive minifigures in expensive sets. Take Darth Vader in the Final Duel set. The new helmet feature was actually included on the front of the box... Something we don't see often on Lego sets these days, so it was clearly an incentive for people to purchase the set to gain that particular minifigure.

Also remember, Lego is not a museum, its a money making company, if a wonderfully detailed minifigure comes out in a set, that doesn't mean to say that variant has to be included in every subsequent set to follow.

Also remember, Lego is not a museum, its a money making company, if a wonderfully detailed minifigure comes out in a set, that doesn't mean to say that variant has to be included in every subsequent set to follow.

Thank goodness. *Shudders*

Blown away by TFA - the movie. Can't wait what Lego will do in future sets, more specifically the summer ones!

That's good to hear. I'm seeing it tomorrow night!

Me too! Midnight showing, baby! Coming atcha with my Chewbacca suit!

Be sure to confirm the policies of the theater you are going to. A lot of them won't allow any outfits that cover your identity (face) in any way. Face paint, helmets, masks, etc. I'm assuming you would run into that issue if you have a Chewbacca suit.

My tickets aren't until Jan. 2nd. :sceptic:

Don't worry, I'm in a worse boat, having to wait till it's out on DVD uhg.

Be sure to confirm the policies of the theater you are going to. A lot of them won't allow any outfits that cover your identity (face) in any way. Face paint, helmets, masks, etc. I'm assuming you would run into that issue if you have a Chewbacca suit.

Don't worry, I have taken all the necessary precautions. No mask for me! Plus, when I say suit, it's more like footie pajamas :blush:. Believe me, as a Coloradoan, I know all about movie theaters and safety precautions (Aurora ring a bell? James Holmes?)

I've seen the two TFA microfighters in the stores, going to pick them up as a Christmas present for someone tomorrow.

Please don't tell me you're in the UK.... :hmpf_bad:

Don't worry, I'm in a worse boat, having to wait till it's out on DVD uhg.

Ouch! Sorry man. :sceptic:

Not sure on your situation (and really none of my business), but there is no way I can pass up seeing Star Wars on the big screen. Will be seeing it in IMAX.

Don't worry, I have taken all the necessary precautions. No mask for me! Plus, when I say suit, it's more like footie pajamas :blush:. Believe me, as a Coloradoan, I know all about movie theaters and safety precautions (Aurora ring a bell? James Holmes?)

Ok, that's good. :classic: Enjoy the movie!

Edited by Hobbun

Ouch! Sorry man. :sceptic:

Not sure on your situation (and really none of my business), but there is no way I can pass up seeing Star Wars on the big screen. Will be seeing it in IMAX.

Ok, that's good. :classic: Enjoy the movie!

My family won't go to movie theaters because of shootings that's been happening. Otherwise I would love to go see it!

My family won't go to movie theaters because of shootings that's been happening. Otherwise I would love to go see it!

Yeah, that's always a danger nowadays. The way I see it, with what's been going on recently, there's a certain degree of risk anytime you step outside of your home. Hospital, movie theater, you name it. Can't let that stop you from livin' life though, right? Might as well jsut go and see Star Wars. :classic:

Edited by Junior Shark