Sign in to follow this  
H_Solo

Another Bricklink project... UCS AT-ST 10174

I recently picked up the idea of bricklinking some other UCS-sets... started with the DSII (10143) but soon came to realize, that this task will take about forever... it has some fairly common elements, but sooo many of them! Well, thats my project for early 2016, then.

I started bricklinking the UCS AT-ST 10174 instead... I already had about a third of the bricks in my stock - mostly used and/or old gray but I wanted to give the model my own twist and that nice used look, anyway, so there was again no need to buy an original set.

I'm still a few bricks short of the finishing line, but I wanted to show it anyhow, as I just put it together today.

Heres what I came up with:

23616660881_c93bdf8c52_o.jpg

23616659411_96d42708e5_o.jpg

23072068823_65f64bc125_o.jpg

23331196099_5a7be895c7_o.jpg

23699102715_0ee4d228a2_o.jpg

23072064273_13441918a3_o.jpg

As you can see, I added a multitude of mods to the model:

- Added interior with stabilizers (no need for rubber bands anymore!)

- Reworked the plating on the head, put the guns two studs to the rear

- Added tiling to the head and legs

- The motor was detailed after the studio model

- Lower Blastshield for the front motor-section

- Blaster cannon on the left and the chingun was reworked

- I also added a top gun for the pilot (like with the oldschool Kenner toy)

- Added "real" handlebars to the top

- "Real Claws, no can actually count as weapons

And a lot of stuff, I cant even remember... I just had the studio model pics on my screen, and tried to find the best way to translate it to LEGO.

Hope you like it so far, I'll try to post better pics, when its al finished (after my last BL-order arrived from the US...)

Very cool. As I wasn't big fan of this model in the original version, with sour modifications it looks way more attractive. The only remaining issues are mostly misproportions in the structure which you hardly can do anything about.

The interior looks great except of these axles sticking out quite nasty :D I suggest you to hide these in some modified plates with pin holes on bottom.

I'm curious, what is the piece on the middle of the dashboard? And is is officially printed or some custom work?

Very cool. As I wasn't big fan of this model in the original version, with sour modifications it looks way more attractive. The only remaining issues are mostly misproportions in the structure which you hardly can do anything about.

The interior looks great except of these axles sticking out quite nasty :D I suggest you to hide these in some modified plates with pin holes on bottom.

I'm curious, what is the piece on the middle of the dashboard? And is is officially printed or some custom work?

Thank you!

I took it to heart and already hid those pins behind some bushes and added more detailed pieces to hide the technic bricks further...

The middle dashboard is an old space piece I found in my stockpile... Bricklink: http://alpha.brickli...id=164#T=S&O={}

Edited by H_Solo

Great work H-Solo, it's always good to see another Bricklinked project! :wub:

To be honest, I've never really been that interested in owning the UCS AT-ST, even when it was available at a very reasonable cost. I don't think that it's been very popular amongst collectors as the aftermarket price has remained low until very recently, when it's suddenly spiralled upwards. It just looked a bit underwhelming somehow, and there were far too many studs visible in the top section. However, your modifications are a major improvement and I'm quite tempted to see if I can track a MISB version down, and replicate the changes you've made.

And, don't delay with the 10143, it should be quite straightforward to Bricklink! :wink:

Thank you, Lobot.

I think is is an underestimated set, although not much beside the size speaks for it out of the box... To many awkward details, some really bad proportions, strange building decisions and lots of 1x4 technic bricks in tan...

I just happen to like walkers and toyed around with it in LDD switching plates with tiles, toying with the colors and saw some great potential there for some mocing with my beginners aibilities.

Sealed sets are aroung 350€ here... I was on the brink of buying a used one for 250€ but decided to go with Bricklink instead... Payed about 130€-150€ for the missing bricks and toyed around a few days with modding before assembling the whole thing this weekend.

Bricklinking is sooo much fun and highly addictive... Aready got a large box with parts for the 10143 sitting under my desk...

Edited by H_Solo

Nice work, I recently brinklinked the at-st and was thinking about modding an Interior but you've beaten me to it.

And, don't delay with the 10143, it should be quite straightforward to Bricklink! :wink:

Unless you want to wait to see what comes out in 2016, with the rumours of a new Death Star. I'm thinking that it'll be the DS2 and a display piece rather than a play set, as releasing something very similar to 10188 right after discontinuing it might get a lot of backlash.

I recently bought 10174 from a local Lego reseller, it was new but the box was completely torn up. I have been trying to snatch up as many SW UCS sets as I can afford and this is a great addition to any collection. I really like the interior mod you did as well as the top gun, the old Kenner set was the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

Thanks H_Solo for making me want a 10174!!! :)

I have a sealed set but am searching for a used one to play around with.... all thanks to you! :)

Oh man, I love this. Made me purchase the set immediately. Wouldn’t of bought it if I hadn’t seen this post. Amazing improvements you made on this set!

Nice modifications. Looks better indeed.
On my own model I replaced dishes with printed ones from 10178 (4x4 ans 6x6).

Love the plating. Nice balance between studded and tiled surfaces.
Like you, I made the head more horizontal. Looks much better.

Nice! It is much better than the original set. I'm bricklinking a dropship right now