Dread Pirate Rob

[TUTORIAL] 6 wheel power functions wheel set on 7725 (cutters option)

Government Warning: Lego Bricks were harmed in the making of this tutorial.

Good evening! I recently converted my 7725 to Power Functions because I don't have a 7740 to convert to power functions. It just didn't look right on four wheels and I could not fit a technic mechanism and M motor in there... So I present the cutters guide to 6 wheel bogies.

(If someone has already done this please let me know so that I can give them credit, I didn't turn up any results like this when doing a Google)

22501935159_b0081901c1.jpg6 wheel Lego power functions motor on 7725 by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

22501934699_02cb4e22ed.jpg6 wheel Lego power functions motor on 7725 by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

22905217521_57ca0216df.jpg6 wheel Lego power functions motor on 7725 by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

22905220771_29d9ddec7b.jpg6 wheel Lego power functions motor on 7725 by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

22475753518_7afa0ee091.jpg6 wheel Lego power functions motor on 7725 by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

22272942383_ac613df1db.jpg6 wheel Lego power functions motor on 7725 by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

22271352324_8b5370342d.jpg6 wheel Lego power functions motor on 7725 by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

22271345804_223d0351a5.jpg6 wheel Lego power functions motor on 7725 by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

22478278559_ef9055b405.jpgPower functions 7725. by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

Purists, please note, the lance was already broken by a careless child so I am recycling, not abusing a perfectly good piece (The 1.5 pin was just an innocent bystander. Sorry).

The trick is to get the cut as close to the short end of the 1.5 pin as you can without compromising the structural integrity of the short end. You will know what I mean if you get it in the wrong spot. The effect is similar to the burning tyre rolling past Indiana Jones.

Does anyone have a solution that does not involve a knife?

Very interesting. I am building a 7725 - not 9V but the original 12V.

It's good to see another Aussie messing around with the little red beast!

Eeks. Good job squeezing it all into one unit. :classic:

Would it have been possible to put the battery and receiver in another car and have the technic motor and gearing in the first car? But then you lose some passenger seating.

Very interesting. I am building a 7725 - not 9V but the original 12V.

It's good to see another Aussie messing around with the little red beast!

I wonder if grey era is so popular in Australia because we didn't get much of the blue era here, so when these sets arrived in the 80s they made a huge impact.

This one will get a run at Canberra's Brickexpo next year if you can make it. Hopefully we can contribute to the 50th anniversary celebrations with some vintage traction on display.

Are you nearby?

Eeks. Good job squeezing it all into one unit. :classic:

Would it have been possible to put the battery and receiver in another car and have the technic motor and gearing in the first car? But then you lose some passenger seating.

I am still hanging on to the forlorn hope that I am building these for the kids so yes you are right, the playability is important. I'm not fooling anyone am I...

Hello.

This has indeed been done before (but not identically as you propose) see below links all though old and photos might have been deleted.....

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=64090

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=66622

The skaako method looks more robust than mine but it does involve cracking the case open. Very neat indeed. I retain a fear of cracking cases open since I tried to fix a 12v motor as a kid. Fortunately the PF motors look easier but I still won't try it until I have one break.

Now that it is a few years down the track, does anyone have an answer to the reliability/wear question that was raised in that post?

Thank you Selander for digging that from the archives.

Opening the PF motor is simple, provided you have the correct tool.

I can't say anything about wear since my 7760 rolled very little.

Most negative I recall was the increased rolling resistance, so sometimes the centre wheel did not rotate when driving around.

I wonder if grey era is so popular in Australia because we didn't get much of the blue era here, so when these sets arrived in the 80s they made a huge impact.

This one will get a run at Canberra's Brickexpo next year if you can make it. Hopefully we can contribute to the 50th anniversary celebrations with some vintage traction on display.

Are you nearby?

Geelong. I actually came along to the Canberra Brickexpo a few years back (the year Jamie Berard was there). Great bunch of builders!