Sign in to follow this  
KevFett2011

[MOC]Episode VII-The Force Awakens-First Order Walker

Hi guys,

here my newest creation: The First Order Walker from the japanese trailer(you can see the walker in the background).Unfortunately i have to use a support :( ,but I hope it disturbs not so much.Dimensions: 48 x 64 Studs(baseplate)

Here the pics:

22478180289_1751beb21a_b.jpg

22452009368_f0acc2c064_b.jpg

Here the picture from the trailer/teaser:

first_order_s_walker_by_jesse220-d95uh0j.png

I hope you like it :)

Greetings KevFett2011

I have to admit that this is both: an achievement and a disappointment; an achievement because it's amazingly similar to the source material and it looks very nice (even thou it could use some improvements on the legs to make it stand by its own); and a disappointment because it is (as many other ships that have appeared as sets from the movie) kind of ugly, but you had it spot on, great creation! don't stop building this cool stuff.

Nice job! I feel like there could be a bit more consistency in terms of studs, but other than that it looks great!

Wow! What a blacksheep! The MOC itself is a very faithful reproduction. The body is so... bug-like..

The legs in the photo look quite a bit more bulky, so I'm sure you could find a way to keep it up without the stand.

Kudos!

I'm all for new vehicles and fresh faces, but the design team on TFA really phoned that one in - yikes! The face only a mother could love...which end is the face again??

Having said that, KevFett2011, you did a fantastic job at realizing this new walker in LEGO - nicely done! And that baseplate! It really adds a nice touch to any MOC. I've always appreciated custom display elements with form as well as function. Your skills have prompted me to check out all your other creations on flickr - I'm sure I'll be impressed.

*update*

Ah, you also created that amazing freeze chamber, TIE and SD wreckage...just realized this. :blush: Officially blown away now!

Edited by lowlead

I'm all for new vehicles and fresh faces, but the design team on TFA really phoned that one in - yikes! The face only a mother could love...which end is the face again??

I have to admit that this is both: an achievement and a disappointment; an achievement because it's amazingly similar to the source material and it looks very nice (even thou it could use some improvements on the legs to make it stand by its own); and a disappointment because it is (as many other ships that have appeared as sets from the movie) kind of ugly, but you had it spot on, great creation! don't stop building this cool stuff.

I think that's how it suppose to been. Of course it didn't look as good like the AT-AT, but the design of the AT-AT that have the walker head as control room and connect it using a neck-like structure can causing the neck of the walker to been vulnerable to air strikes and destroying the control room of the walker. I think that First Order knew this so they design their walker like that.

But however, nice MOC! Although my main disappointment are that the walker can't been supported properly without stands, but the design of the walker is very accurate to the source material and the legs is also looks good.

Well its less vulnerable too rhe neck issue its predecessors suffered so probably an extremely practical choice by the FO.

I think that's how it suppose to been. Of course it didn't look as good like the AT-AT, but the design of the AT-AT that have the walker head as control room and connect it using a neck-like structure can causing the neck of the walker to been vulnerable to air strikes and destroying the control room of the walker. I think that First Order knew this so they design their walker like that.

Well now you're all just making too much sense! :wink:

You're right of course - the FO clearly learned a bit from the Empire's earlier follies. But only a bit, cuz I would retrofit my X-wing with tow cables and go straight for the legs :sweet:

Edited by lowlead

I can only repeat what others have said: great representation of a seemingly mediocre vehicle. You did great with what you had to work with. Seriously impressive! However, this model brings to light the stark absence of other TFA MOCs (besides the countless X-Wing and TIE mods).

Edited by Junior Shark

Great reproduction. Re the vehicle design: maybe the FO were in the process of attaching the head when the photo was taken?

> the design of the AT-AT that had the walker head was vulnerable to air strikes

> I think that First Order knew this so they design their walker like that.

I'd like to believe that too but if so, how do you explain their transporter design where the pilot sits in an exposed portaloo on the roof, just waiting to be shot off?

A more likely explanation: A super talented guy called Ralph McQuarrie designed all the iconic OT ships and vehicles, but unfortunately he died in 2012, so they got someone else in to do it who isn't anywhere near as talented. And while we're criticising his work: anyone else think the way those TIEs are just sitting on the ground without any support or docking structure just looks totally lame?

Edited by Missing Brick

...A more likely explanation: A super talented guy called Ralph McQuarrie designed all the iconic OT ships and vehicles, but unfortunately he died in 2012, so they got someone else in to do it who isn't anywhere near as talented. And while we're criticising his work: anyone else think the way those TIEs are just sitting on the ground without any support or docking structure just looks totally lame?

YES and YES.

I don't want to hijack Kev's thread, but dang, I was thinking the same exact thing. We're now without a man that basically conjured the whole look of the SW universe, and this loss is bleeding through in some of these vehicle designs...in my opinion, of course.

YES and YES.

I don't want to hijack Kev's thread, but dang, I was thinking the same exact thing. We're now without a man that basically conjured the whole look of the SW universe, and this loss is bleeding through in some of these vehicle designs...in my opinion, of course.

I think the look of the vehicles is due to the decision making process (aka JJ Abrams) and not the absence of the OT designer. It's all very deliberate.

the way those TIEs are just sitting on the ground without any support or docking structure just looks totally lame?

It doesn't seem quite right does it? But this is normal practice in Star Wars Rebels - they just plonk them down wherever. What I find more difficult though is the use of TIE fighters inside an atmosphere - those things would be at the mercy of any crosswind.

Going back to the OP, the MOC is outstanding - incredible work. But man, those things are so ugly!