LosHose

10185 Green Grocer MOC/MOD

Hello,

New to the forum but a Lego builder since childhood.

After reading the thread "Bricklinking Modular Buildings" I have been... well, you guessed correctly.

At first I decided to use brick-bricks instead of the groove-bricks and the choice of color was sand yellow.

However the original design had some alignment issues which meant that brick-bricks would look out of place, since you would be able to see the ends of the bricks which doesn't look too nice. To correct this I moved some elements one brick to the left (particularly the door was a little bit difficult to move) and created a new vertical column to keep things balanced. On the right side the windows have been replaced and there are some other modifications here and there.

3451bc7e5525817dcb5ec99b9232457b.jpg

Roof is curved and can be lifted away:

ad7303d3ae3191c2735b86fad52e1632.jpg

Third floor has a bedroom and a bathroom:

0b89c052b2b35603376e92f262d3535f.jpg

There's a nice area by the windows:

555290bfcf1fef38acde7555d365dad0.jpg

Third floor also had a kitchen before the construction guys moved it one floor down:

816203ffec76b1e1e85214bcef55b3a3.jpg

The curtain color was changed due to the fact the dark red inverted slopes are kind of expensive. Also purple looks nice.

The dining table can be lifted up so that it's easier to clean under there:

6986565de24bc111171d8e31165e491d.jpg

On the first floor the inside of the shop has seen a couple of structural changes and some changes in the backyard as well:

df82c7ee76be3f5509f101907918c790.jpg

I have been actively fiddling this for a couple of weeks now and I'm on the edge of ordering the bricks I'm missing (which is a large stack), but I'm not entirely convinced I like the sand yellow brick-brick front and would like some opinions what do you like best.

First option is with sand yellow brick-bricks:

8327c381cc1644e39b5ea5cba25fc39c.jpg

Inverted brick-bricks with the masonry profile on the inside of the building:

58349e6e0dbaf7c4c0d1f2227164bc23.jpg

(Unfortunately the change is a bit hard to see because of the poor resolution of the rendered image...)

Tan groove:

2c52d554d3ce68cdf69db1485aa06cdc.jpg

I'm beginning to re-like the tan groove more and more, but the sand yellow brick-brick has good qualities as well. Which do you like best?

Any other opinions about these modifications?

Wow, all of them are astounding. Wish I was this good with LDD. This somewhat made me want to continue on my Tan Grocer Project which I abandoned a few months ago.

I like the rustic feel of the first option is with sand yellow brick-bricks.

Great work mate.

In this situation, I like I like the dark tan masonry bricks. On the official I like the sand green groove bricks, but there is something about the different colored masonry bricks to make it stand out (I don't like the sand green masonry bricks for some reason).

Maybe I'm an odd fellow, but so far so good.

I like the interior also. I have done similar mods to my own. Although my top floor is also a bedroom/bathroom, I have mine oriented slightly different, but similar location. Very interesting.

And the kitchen is in the exact same spot, although I have cabinets/sink where your table is.

I also altered the front facade a bit by moving things over, but not how you did it.

I really need to get pictures of mine up. I built it over a year ago and forgot about it.

Well done with the interiors. I prefer the dark tan brick profile version. In my opinion, the best part of the GG is the white bay window, and the brick profile bricks provide an interesting and well balanced contrast.

Looks really good in this configuration, like the idea with the additional column.

Interior's looking nice aswell, will you 'finish' it (e.g. touching up the left half of the first floor)?

Thanks for the comments. I have come to the conclusion that the "dark tan brick" version is the one I'll be building.

RogerSmith: Yes, the plan is to finish the interior. I have about 1300 pieces from my own collection and need to order about 1700 more, so I thought I'd do and build the outer structure that before "wasting" more of my time fiddling with the interior design. The interior seems to be an endless project, as I find myself redoing the things I've already redone multiple times.

By the way this is the latest design:

b5e7417d95ef6bdfcc0e40afa8cc9876.png

I think I'm finally satisfied with the color combinations.

Edited by LosHose

This is fantastic looking. Love the interior! If I ever get the time I'd want to build this from scratch and it have next my og-GG.

This is a really great project with sophisticated and detailed interiors that fits the classic atmosphere of GG's design. I also have tried to add some interior features for 1st and 2nd floor but all I could do was just addding sofas and table. I wonder whether I could see more detailed pictures of 2nd floor's bathroom or LDD file of this great interior work of GG. Looks really great!!

Edited by jaesroe

I wonder whether I could see more detailed pictures of 2nd floor's bathroom or LDD file of this great interior work of GG.

As you wish :) Here is the bathroom with couple of walls demolished. I found a way to make a little bit room for it. Check the LDD file below to see the bathroom with walls still in place.

0178ee8790ce266376ea2f4631496dac.png

Here is the LDD file for those who are interested. The floors are using separate groups so that they are easier to remove. (Don't mind the 1x1 red plates here and there - I need them to be able to attach the floors on top of each other.)

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00830727729586103723

As you wish :) Here is the bathroom with couple of walls demolished. I found a way to make a little bit room for it. Check the LDD file below to see the bathroom with walls still in place.

0178ee8790ce266376ea2f4631496dac.png

Here is the LDD file for those who are interested. The floors are using separate groups so that they are easier to remove. (Don't mind the 1x1 red plates here and there - I need them to be able to attach the floors on top of each other.)

http://s000.tinyuplo...727729586103723

Thank you so muchhhhhhhh!!!!

I really like the dark tan look with the masonry bricks. I actually did my own LDD conversion to that color in masonry bricks as I too have missed out on it. I like the interior details you have included. Eventually I will build it from parts as well, when time allows. Thanks for sharing. I'll be coming back to this thread when my time comes to build it.

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has modded the Green Grocer on to a 16 x 32 plate? I'm imagining it would turn out to be a hybrid of the Pet Shop modulars, with the Grocer on the Ground Floor, while the housing area with the bay windows on top.