Sign in to follow this  
Peoples_General

Huh? Aluminium?!? Why does it wear the name of another metal (Chrome / Chromium)? Is this resulting from any historical method? (Where chrome stillw as used maybe?)

Hmm, not exactly sure about the "historical" context. I guess we just call it "chrome" because it looks like chrome. When we say "chrome," usually we're talking about an electro-plating process that uses currents and electricity to apply shiny coatings to metal. I'm not even sure "Chromium" is still used. I don't exactly understand that process, but it is not compatible with PVC / Lego plastics as far as I know. :)

There were also threads on 1000steine.de and CSF about your MOC, you see, you're wellknown now... ;)

Thanks for the info. Nice to see people are enjoying and discussing my MOC. Unfortunately, I can't read German. :/ BTW, what is CSF? :)

etcknight,

I didn't mean to be rude about your work, that was not my intention, really far from it. My sincere apologies if you took it wrong >-|

I know you wanted to stay as close as possible to what TLC would have produced. I really like the design, the only thing I am not found of is the top of the ship and the cokpit. I think it is a bit too square compared with the rest of the ship.

The chrome finish is astounding. I loved to watch the show "American Shopper" where they showed how to vacum chrome.

Really a great job ;)

Please show us more creations ;)

etcknight,

I didn't mean to be rude about your work, that was not my intention, really far from it. My sincere apologies if you took it wrong >-|

I know you wanted to stay as close as possible to what TLC would have produced. I really like the design, the only thing I am not found of is the top of the ship and the cokpit. I think it is a bit too square compared with the rest of the ship.

The chrome finish is astounding. I loved to watch the show "American Shopper" where they showed how to vacum chrome.

Really a great job ;)

American Shopper? Do they pimp out shopping carts or something? :P

Not a real set, but a great MOC

I wonder how long it took to build... *wacko*

Well, most of it was already done, so probably a couple weeks.

ya I'm sure it must of took a while to spray paint the whole thang.

:^D X:D *devil* *wub* *sick* 8-) :X: :^^ :f) :^^D

ya I'm sure it must of took a while to spray paint the whole thang.

:^D X:D *devil* *wub* *sick* 8-) :X: :^^ :f) :^^D

Having a bit of fun with the smilies there?

Thanks for the clarification. :) It's all in how you "word" your comments. I'm totally open to constructive criticism (although my model is already chromed so it can't be changed. Doh! But, I still appreciate the comments). Most people are sort of protective of their MOCs, so suggesting an alternate solution is much better than saying "it could have been done better." Try to say "how" it could have been done better - specifically what pieces you suggest. ;)

Really a great job ;) 

Thanks again. :-D We'll have to see what interesting ideas the future brings. :oD

I wonder how long it took to build... *wacko*

About 3+ years including all the drafting, modeling, and vac metaling. The Vac Metal process takes about a week and half. (not spray paint!) It took me a while to get the model design right, order all the correct colored pieces, and then prep the model for vac metal. Thanks for looking. :)

ooo yes it looks awsome but woul'nt it be expensive to get the whole things cromed?

You know what'd be interesting to see? A chromed ISD...

I tell you what, if someone is willing to donate an ISD for this "chroming" project, I'll gladly devote the time and money to get it Vac Metalized. :-D

hey that would be soo cool sorry but i dont got the money nor the ISD to donate but it would still be cool

You know what'd be interesting to see?  A chromed ISD...

I tell you what, if someone is willing to donate an ISD for this "chroming" project, I'll gladly devote the time and money to get it Vac Metalized. :-D

I could donate $20-$30. I think that'd be a really cool display piece at LEGO conventions.

hey maby some one could make a new talking thing (oo how dumb am i,i forget what there called) and see how maby people would donate money then maby we really could have a chromed ISD

hey maby some one could make a new talking thing (oo how dumb am i,i forget what there called) and see how maby people would donate money then maby we really could have a chromed ISD

Thread? ;)

Like I said, I'm all for it as long as someone else organizes it. Vac Metal / Chroming an item the size of an ISD would probably cost $200-300, so I can't afford to purchase an ISD and get it chromed. Plus the prep for something that large will take quite a few work hours and Epoxy, so it doesn't fall apart in the Vacuum Chamber. But, if someone can get an ISD or the funds to purchase one to me, then I'll gladly be all for it!! :)

Thread anyone? ;)