Soul

YABUM (Yet Another Bricklinked UCS MF)

Here's my brick-built dish, for what it's worth.

That's pretty good as well! Have you got a close-up please?

Edited by Soul

That would be me again.

I replaced the flaps when i realised that the 4x9 and 4x8 plates, alternated, had a near-perfect curve. Then I found that the original hull panels didn't fit. Then I gradually realised that the entire rear upper hull would have to be reworked...

The thread is over here. Just in case you are seriously contemplating this one, I have added the LXF file for the engine and rear upper hull modifications to the first post: along with all the other LXF files I have generated along the way.

Man, love the mods you made. That is beautiful. And I love the use of old grays as well. Gives it the right look and feel, and this is how I will do it as well.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're done! :grin:

22146303165_e0cc471818_b.jpg

Will take some better photos on daylight at some point, but then you all know what one of these looks like anyway :laugh:

Taken me a lot longer than the other UCS sets I've built. But I think a lot of that is due to having to keep finding parts among the myriad of plastic bags. There's a few pieces I'd like to change, and some mods we've already discussed that I'd like to consider, but for now I'm just going to enjoy looking at it (and figuring out where to put it!).

No more Lego for a few days, at least until the Death Star I ordered yesterday arrives :devil:

Edited by Soul

Congratulations on finishing this huge project. Good luck finding a place to put it!

Personally, I'd almost forgotten what a stock UCS Falcon looks like, so thanks for the photo ;-).

Thanks Dave. I was looking at yours in more detail and you've changed a lot of greebling, Was the aim to make it look more like the real thing, or just to add more detail to make it more interesting?

A bit of both, actually.

The more I compared the UCS to pictures of the studio miniature, the more problems I could see. The Modding bug bit me deep!

YMMV, and I don't want to dilute your pleasure at this amazing achievement.

In my opinion,with all the mods, Dave's falcon is the best Lego reproduction of the studio scale replica.

He modded also all the internal structure to fit an iterior: I you decide to to go only for the engine mod like me, you have to change only the rear part of the structure. If you want i have some pics taken during the build.

Fantastic job Soul - looks great as is, but good luck with any mods! This is going on the 2016 to do list for sure...

Thanks chaps - such an amazing model and I can't stop looking at it whenever I'm around it :laugh:

Congratulations Soul, that looks great! The dish looks particularly good - where did you get it from?

And when you've finished building your Death Star, how about Bricklinking the UCS version? :wink:

Thanks Lobot. I bought a sticker from an ebay seller. It looks good from a distance but close up it's not so good (scratched and bubbly as the adhesive was crap).

I'm probably going to do a brick-built one (round or rectangular) at some point soon....

I did wonder about doing DS2. But I've read a few threads about it not being very solid once assembled, and also not sure if it will really look that great on display to make it worth the effort. I'd much rather do a Y-Wing or ISD :laugh:

I did wonder about doing DS2. But I've read a few threads about it not being very solid once assembled, and also not sure if it will really look that great on display to make it worth the effort. I'd much rather do a Y-Wing or ISD :laugh:

I'll admit that it's a little on the 'delicate' side, but it's a great looking model and relatively inexpensive for a UCS set.....here's one I prepared earlier (link) :wink:

Nice :laugh:

TBH I've spent way over £1000 on Lego in the last month or so. I need to stop for a bit!

However I'm also contemplating Cavegod's AT-AT, so there may be no hope for me :devil:

Great build, Soul! Congratulations!

I really like how the "stock" Falcon looks, so I did just some minor changes to greebling and such... As much as I love Daves major changes to mandibles and enginesection, I fear I'm lacking both skill and parts to tackle this task.

Edited by H_Solo

Thanks H_Solo! I'm definitely not looking at it thinking "this looks a bit naff and needs more details" (not yet at least). So I think any mods would only be to really improve functionality (like the engine area if I wanted lights) or things that annoy me (like the dish due to the sticker being crap).

A couple questions for those of you that have completed this project...

1) I plan to build it per the instructions, and then heavily modify it afterward. Things like adding the interior, the engine mods, etc. Will this work, or should incorporate my mods into the build as I go?

2) There are an awful lot of technic pieces I assume will never be seen. And probably others as well. I'd like to get this in colors that are cheaper than the official model. Does anyone have a list of parts that don't require specific colors?

Thanks!

Not really got a list. You can see a lot of my subs in the first post however I tried to do as much as possible with the correct colours, and only swapping if parts were rare or much more expensive.

But you can also see from the subsequent photos of the frame etc before i covered over much of what will not be seen. You could do the whole of the inside in some bright garish bricks if they were cheap and you'd never really notice from the outside.

1) I plan to build it per the instructions, and then heavily modify it afterward. Things like adding the interior, the engine mods, etc. Will this work, or should incorporate my mods into the build as I go?

Well, that is what I did!

Obviously it worked, but it's taken me five years to get it to this point, and I've lost track of how much I've spent on it (or that's what I tell the wife anyway).

A couple questions for those of you that have completed this project...

2) There are an awful lot of technic pieces I assume will never be seen. And probably others as well. I'd like to get this in colors that are cheaper than the official model. Does anyone have a list of parts that don't require specific colors?

Thanks!

Try this website: http://www.dagsbricks.com/2014/07/lego-techniques-building-millenium.html

There are quite a few articles written online on bricklinking the 10179 whilst keeping the price down.

I have also encountered a seller with a bricklinked 10179 going for US$600. Only caveat... it is all done with clone bricks. :sick:

Try this website: http://www.dagsbrick...-millenium.html

There are quite a few articles written online on bricklinking the 10179 whilst keeping the price down.

I have also encountered a seller with a bricklinked 10179 going for US$600. Only caveat... it is all done with clone bricks. :sick:

Is all the stuff available as clones? yuck...

I imagine making clone 10179's could make some entrepreneurial chinese people VERY rich though

Is all the stuff available as clones? yuck...

I imagine making clone 10179's could make some entrepreneurial chinese people VERY rich though

I just went to check out the description and I do apologise, it is MIXED with original lego bricks. So it is not all clone.

Sorry for going OT!

Well I finally decided I was going to make one, and try to do it as reasonably priced as possible, so this last week I set myself the challenge of finding all the bits in the shortest time I could (I have no patience).

Ended up using a combination of these tools

• Excel spreadsheet - complete tracking of all parts, substitutions, orders, prices

Could I get a copy of your spreadsheet? I decided to build my own UCS Falcon, and I'd love to see what color swaps you made. Like you, I am looking to do this as cheap as possible, raiding my own collection whenever possible. I do not care in the least bit to have an exact replica of the LEGO set. I intend to have the best LEGO representation of the Falcon that I can.

Mandibles plated underneath and filled in with detail. Also done the underneath of the two airlocks. That ramp that hinged down from one side is awesome :sweet:

I'm halfway through the manual now. Loving it so far!

I love all your progress pics. You're giving me a LOT of ideas on where I can cut corners. I hate the thought of all that gray and dark gray being hidden away in the mandibles never to be seen. If it's not seen through the hull cutouts, I think i'll be using red, yellow, blue etc. in there.

In my opinion,with all the mods, Dave's falcon is the best Lego reproduction of the studio scale replica.

He modded also all the internal structure to fit an iterior: I you decide to to go only for the engine mod like me, you have to change only the rear part of the structure. If you want i have some pics taken during the build.

I would love to see these pics.