BlackStar: Glad everyone's okay. No worries about the build--we have no schedule to complete it. Whenever you get something done on it, post it and I'll go from there. I've got plenty of other builds to work on in the meantime.

Holy guacamole! Xon67, you are my favoritest person ever. Currently.

That Sea Cow is incredible, and the apartment is cool too. Does the interior apartment fit into the exterior building?

Well, I don't think I've ever been someone's favoritest person ever.

Currently.

And how'd you know I like guacamole?

Nope, the interior doesn't fit in the exterior. And I'm currently short on British sci-fi technology to make it fit.

Edited by Xon67

Currently.

Nope, the interior doesn't fit in the exterior. And I'm currently short on British sci-fi technology to make it fit.

Darn maybe the doctor will let you borrow some. Still can't wait to see more progress on the construct-o mech.

Currently.

Currently.

Everybody likes guacamole. Too bad it doesn't fit.

Can't wait to see what you make next! Well, I'll have to wait, so I can wait...But I wish I didn't have to wait!

Yay! The white corners in that one look weird...They throw off the colour scheme. But that's no fault of yours!

Great work as usual!

Wait...Why does the crosswalk on the street stop in the middle of the road? That's confusing and dangerous!

Just as the folks on the LEGO Movie took existing LEGO sets and modified them to make new variations for Bricksburg buildings, they also used their own creations and combined them in different ways to create other new buildings. This shows the re-use of two buildings not based on existing LEGO sets, where the walls and windows from one building (left) and the roof from another building (right) were combined to create a new building (middle). It's interesting to note that the buildings on either end had more screen time, and therefore have more physical variation throughout their construction. Whereas the building in the middle seems as if it was needed more for the background and has less physical details, yet it still provides additional variation for the buildings in Emmet's neighborhood overall.

Actor Builder--This also explains where the white corners on this building come from--originally they were columns on either side of arched openings. As for the crosswalk, maybe Bricksburg citizens are just supposed to jump over the middle part... (Hopscotch, anyone? Oh, yeah, I forgot Rule # 24: Don't play in the street!)

21984288094_c398bb6e7a_c.jpg__movie MOC compare by Xon 67, on Flickr

I think some minifigure will get hurt by that crosswalk...They will stop in the middle in a perplexed and befuddled manner, then BAM! An 8-stud wide car comes and knocks him flat.

That's really interesting about the corners and the combinations.

Rule #24 is don't play in the street? Did you make that up or was that a part of the movie I missed?

No, I didn't see that rule in the movie, but it sure seems like it should be one of Lord Business' rules, doesn't it?

It does seem like a rule he might enforce with half-crosswalks, to ensure that all the citizens are cautious when crossing the street.

progress1.pngprogress2.png

Ok, here's my addition.

I fixed the left and right parts of the torso, and did most of the back side.

Easy things that now remain are the top of the head, after this it will get much harder :(

Also, I am incorporating some structural integrity so that this thing will actually hold up when built (which I'm planning to do ;) )

The middle part where Emmet's rollcage is attached to is offset a bit, I am trying to join it to the rest with the bars (you'll see what I mean)

https://www.dropbox....-11-01.lxf?dl=0

It might be wise to keep the back/more parts separated as they are now, it helps building a lot, and this way we can reinforce it now, while it's still easy to do.

Oh, and just one more thing I just thought of, I have not verified your parts at all, I am assuming that they are accurate to the movie. However, we are both humans, so we'll probably make some mistakes along the way, so if anyone here want to verify it as well, your help would be much appreciated :D

Edited by BlackStar

This is looking awesome!

I looked at the LDD files and messed around a bit, and I have a few questions and statements. One of each, to be precise.

Xon67, When I looked at the feet, it seemed like not all the pieces were connected. Is this the case?

BlackStar and Xon67, I believe the treads on the main body and feet should be dark grey instead of black.

EDIT: I also noticed when looking at pictures of this behemoth, that there is going to be a great difficulty when connecting the body to the legs/waist section. It looks like it would be barely connected in real bricks. Just a worry about this. Carry on.

Edited by Actor Builder

Lookin' good, BlackStar!

Actor Builder--While I haven't completed the feet yet, the gears/wheels don't appear to be attached.

The part colors (black/gray) depend on the scene: They are one color on the construction site and another color in downtown Bricksburg. This happens throughout the movie. I first noticed it on the Sea Cow. Depending on what the movie makers wanted to emphasize in a given shot, they changed brick colors and moved bricks around to get the best frame composition and tell the best story they could.

The waist looks like it consists of a bunch of criss-crossed Technic beams. We'll have a good idea how well it works once we figure it out in our build.

Actor Builder, yes indeed I also noticed this in the 'feet'. Those cogwheels are not connected to anything, so they will need to be reinforced, but that can wait until later :)

Xon67, I just had a thought about the mech body, currently I joined them together (left and right) with a few crossbeams. It might be a better idea to make 3 separate structures, the left and right and the center part, that can be snapped together in the correct place.

This will remove the offset problem (I hope) and will make building it a lot easier, since then you can build 3 separate things.

We may be able to support the wheels on the inside using some narrow beams (I've been knockin' that one around in my noodle just a bit...)

The mech body idea sounds great. If you want to go ahead and work on the body more now, feel free to, since you seem to have it figured out. :-) In the meantime, I'm going to work on the arms, legs, and "shoulder pads". I'll post when I have some more on my pieces.

We may be able to support the wheels on the inside using some narrow beams (I've been knockin' that one around in my noodle just a bit...)

The mech body idea sounds great. If you want to go ahead and work on the body more now, feel free to, since you seem to have it figured out. :-) In the meantime, I'm going to work on the arms, legs, and "shoulder pads". I'll post when I have some more on my pieces.

Ok, this way we can also merge stuff easily later. I'll continue fixing the body part. I think I have a neat solution using a 1x2 brick with 2 holes, that might just be the offset we need. And it will be a good starting point for making it a 4 part that can be snapped together while also being strong enough to hold everything.

Im absolutely in awe of your work youve put into this, the research that must have been done to reverse engineer everything and figure out all the cross referencing.

On top of that, youre working your way through what i was wishing/hoping to start someday, emmets mech at full size! Do you think youll make the ldd file available when youre done? Or should i get started now ;) id be desperate to make this in bricks asap as it would be such a decent looking beast to have!

Again, extremely well done on your current progress on it all, and props to you for the ldd files that youve made available so far.

Im glad youre ok after the accident btw.

Im absolutely in awe of your work youve put into this, the research that must have been done to reverse engineer everything and figure out all the cross referencing.

On top of that, youre working your way through what i was wishing/hoping to start someday, emmets mech at full size! Do you think youll make the ldd file available when youre done? Or should i get started now ;) id be desperate to make this in bricks asap as it would be such a decent looking beast to have!

Again, extremely well done on your current progress on it all, and props to you for the ldd files that youve made available so far.

Im glad youre ok after the accident btw.

Hey Fuppylodders, thanks, we're all very lucky to have walked away from that accident with no-one injured. :)

The LDD file is already posted in this topic, Xon67 is now focussing on the legs and arms while I continue with the body and the head.

The final version will of course be released for the people that want to build it :) (myself included ;))

Xon67, do you mind if I 'deviate' from the movie a tiny bit by ensuring that everything can be snapped together? I already fixed the two cement mixers to the body, but there is no attachment points in the movie version, so I already put some hinges there to connect things.

JamPotStudios and Fuppylodders -- Thanks for the comments! Sometimes I think I spend more time staring at freeze-frames of the movie than I do actually building. Some of the builds can go pretty quickly. Emmet's mech is obviously an exception to that...

Here are my latest updates. BlackStar: Go ahead and build how you want to. It's your build as much as mine. You'll want to take a look at the crane. It doesn't seem to be anchored very well. Also where the Technic beam connects half-way up the crane is most likely not going to work in a real build. I made it as close to the movie as I could, but there aren't very good shots of that area. I could be using incorrect parts.

22419924379_3cf412403d_c.jpgemmets mech - 2015-11-05 by Xon 67, on Flickr

lxf file: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Xon67/Movie/_movie_emmetsmech_2015-11-05.lxf