Nom Carver

[MOC] old school Lambda Class Shuttle

With the arrival of the new Tydirium set, I know most of you will not be impressed with this creation, however I am pretty proud of how it came out because the actual set, even though its certainly looks more detailed, is way too big compared to the rest of my collection and I already have all the SW vehicles I would ever want and wont deliver my self to the hype of buying just about every updated version of what I already have because it doesn't fit the scale (they are not actually to scale but don't look oversized or dwarfed beside each other).

I always wanted to have the official set released back then but never could manage to get it, I eventually got a landing craft but it was way below my expectations, so I dismantled and rebuilt it multiple times until I got some other useful bricks that helped me to complete a custom version of my cherished ship, later I made some improvements and finally completed this build to achieve the size and sturdiness I wanted, its still not perfect but is quite close to what I had in mind and can sit beside my AT-AT and some old modified TIE fighters without bothering me (I am a little obsesive, you know :wink: ).

20270756941_e5e7836865.jpg03 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

20270752651_a1f112b0bd.jpg05 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

The cockpit is basically the same of the landing craft, I tried some other designs of cockpits but non stud up to my requirements of seize and shape, however this one flows with the fuselage good enough.

19643900883_1c1ff1e007.jpg14 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

The dorsal wing is also held tightly thanks to some ideas borrowed from the T-16 and the Tydirium, I would have used white beams but grey will do fine for now, and this also helps to break the white monotony.

20076867308_45307156ac.jpg15 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

The side wings swivel very swiftly but are tight enough to keep them in position.

19642229764_d2c21bfa53.jpg12 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

It also features a turret on the rear and access to the interior with room for the emperor and one royal guard, it could fit even four troops with slight mods but I like it just like it is.

20076864070_b30e7ba421.jpg07 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

20270743981_a7bedc345e.jpg09 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

20256573772_b5206bd4bd.jpg10 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

Comments and criticism are welcome, I hope you liked it.

You know what, I really like this! The simple style is super nostalgic for me. The little interior is a great idea, and executed very well. The Tyderium is pretty big, but I like it (although I don't own it yet), and I can see where you're coming from on this. Overall, great job!

I think its excellent, alot of the time Simple is best and I think you've captured the look of the shuttle very well while keeping it old school and plain.

Thanks guys, glad you liked it, I may end up getting the new Tydirium but only to replace some bricks in this model, I think there is a lot of space for improvements on the official set, but this one is certainly way superior to the oldest one, (its not that hard to improve on such an old design, it had quite a bit of flaws, it's actually like an updated version of it).

In my opinion, this build hardly resembles a Lambda-class shuttle. The shape of the cockpit is wrong, the colors are off, front guns are missing, as well as many other details essential to the vessel.

Thanks stillinamerica, I know this is no UCS but is just what I need in my collection.

In my opinion, this build hardly resembles a Lambda-class shuttle. The shape of the cockpit is wrong, the colors are off, front guns are missing, as well as many other details essential to the vessel.

You can tell that to the designers back in 2001, its not perfect but I like it as it is, its made to fit with the rest of my models that are mostly on the smallish side (from the times before lego made the sets with such detail or size), besides, I barely made it with spare parts and the colors are not that off, and the missing guns aren't there on purpose because, I prefer looks and sturdiness over accuracy. Maybe you could put a link to the one you got on your picture, I would certainly like to see it.

This build actually does resemble the Shuttle very well. Nom was going for a simple design that fits the bill, not accuracy(as stated). Clearly based on the 2001 version, with the update it need. Like the pull out "tray" for the passengers, Great feature! and structural support for the top wing. I can see you are being super critical because you have made one yourself. Yours is also great.

This build actually does resemble the Shuttle very well. Nom was going for a simple design that fits the bill, not accuracy(as stated). Clearly based on the 2001 version, with the update it need. Like the pull out "tray" for the passengers, Great feature! and structural support for the top wing. I can see you are being super critical because you have made one yourself. Yours is also great.

I'm not being super critical, sorry if it sounded too harsh.

You can tell that to the designers back in 2001, its not perfect but I like it as it is, its made to fit with the rest of my models that are mostly on the smallish side (from the times before lego made the sets with such detail or size), besides, I barely made it with spare parts and the colors are not that off, and the missing guns aren't there on purpose because, I prefer looks and sturdiness over accuracy.

It certainly CAN be improved, even in such a small scale. Adding front guns and cooling intakes, for example, should be no big deal and is just a matter of putting some thought and creativity into your build. :thumbup:

Maybe you could put a link to the one you got on your picture, I would certainly like to see it.

It's an early prototype made in LDD. I've been working on this thing for a very, very long time already, the newest version is a lot smoother and cleaner than this. Sadly, I still miss a couple of fairly rare white technic connectors to finish the build.

Edited by Corydoras

Exactly! thanks for the backup.

It certainly CAN be improved, even in such a small scale. Adding front guns and cooling intakes, for example, should be no big deal and is just a matter of putting some thought and creativity into your build. :thumbup:

Yes, its not perfect but it will improve over time once I get some useful pieces.

It's an early prototype made in LDD. I've been working on this thing for a very, very long time already, the newest version is a lot smoother and cleaner than this. Sadly, I still miss a couple of fairly rare white technic connectors to finish the build.

I will be looking forward to see it.