My husband bought me Dragon Sanctuary set today as surprise and I've just builded it!

Really good set, I did't thought that it's so fun. In real it makes way better impression than on photos. Tower is compact and intresting to build at the same time, it's full of small but enough playable stuff and areas. There's viry cool tiny astrolabe. I pleced fire egg on it's place and damn, I need the rest of the eggs! :blush: Sure, designers know secret of a charm spell.

Dragon is epic, he's little bigger than fire dragon and those four wings are majestic! His lower part is the same light-blue color as green dragon have, nice combination with lavender.

Also, I'm newbie to MOC building, but I think there's good amount of detais for creation, and espesially for small decorations. I have idea to buid bigger dragontower one day.

I don't like any licensed themes(exept Lord of the Rings) ,for my taste own Lego's themes have much more creativity and originality, and elves are perfect for me :cry_happy:

LEGO Elves sets are 20% off at Toys 'R' Us in the US right now, so my brother and I took the opportunity to pick up some of the sets we were missing. We just built 41177 The Precious Crystal Mine, which looks way nicer than I thought it would… the angle of the box art doesn't really show that both the base and the grass up top is nicely rounded, just like in many of the other Elves sets. It's also interesting in that it serves as a sort of checkpoint between the "good" areas and the "evil" areas, with the warm pink crystals on one side and the creepy green crystals on the other (although, which side is which seems reversed from the sign pointing the way to the Shadow Castle).

I'm a little disappointed that the mouse jeweler doesn't have a name, but I love that he has more of a story than many of the animals, with a portrait above his bed showing that he's the brother of the mouse who's imprisoned in the tower from 41179 Queen Dragon's Rescue. He also seems to have a nice little business going. The size of his living space made me comment that his "mousehole" is more of a mouse mansion, and that he must be some sort of wealthy crystal baron. :tongue:

The minecart function works very smoothly, with the switch to launch the minecart discreetly disguised as a tree branch. I also noticed, amusingly, that a mini-doll fits maybe a little too nicely in the gap in the tracks, inspiring me to set up a LEGO Elves trolley problem for fun.

Overall, I had been prepared to skip this set and just get Floria and a second mouse off of BrickLink or at a convention. However, now that I have it I'm quite happy I picked it up. It's attractive, playable, and very unique in its subject matter.

I also pulled Elandra the Queen Dragon back out of her box a few days ago to get a better idea of how big she is compared to other LEGO dragons. Turns out, she's pretty impressive! With her neck stretched forward, she measures 50 studs/15.75 inches/40 centimeters/ in both length and wingspan, and about 11.25 bricks/4.25 inches/10.8 centimeters tall. This is slightly smaller than Smaug, but she makes up for it by being much more "built" (both literally and figuratively) — while Smaug weighs about 140 grams according to BrickLink, Elandra weighs around 10 ounces/284 grams. What's more, unlike many Ninjago or Creator dragons, her finished design, like that of a molded LEGO dragon, has a good balance of studs and angles, and is mostly studless (just 21 exposed studs on the entire build). Truly she's one of the most majestic LEGO dragons we've ever had, and redefines what is possible with a brick-built LEGO creature.

Noticed today at my local Lego store (Houston Galleria) that Ragana's shadow castle is $79 (same price as Amazon/Target), even though it's still $99 on S@H - if like me that's on your Christmas list, you may want to check in-store before ordering online!  

Did somebody ever make minifigs (with the hearpieces/capes of the sets) which fit the theme? I'm looking into right now, but can't seem to find posts/photos where somebody has swapped the dolls for minifigures. 

Curious to see how that looks. 

Edited by Kevii23

1 hour ago, Kevii23 said:

Did somebody ever make minifigs (with the hearpieces/capes of the sets) which fit the theme? I'm looking into right now, but can't seem to find posts/photos where somebody has swapped the dolls for minifigures. 

Curious to see how that looks. 

Dorayaki made some customized Elves minifigs for the first years' waves using their hair pieces along with some decals/printing and paint:

Edited by Iria

My wife and I got the Queen Dragon Rescue for Christmas, and while the dragon is amazing, I am somewhat bummed by the rigidity of the legs, and feel like a knee joint would be ideal.

Has anyone tried altering the legs to include a knee joint? I am thinking Mixel joints, but am put off by the lack of color options so would love to get some other ideas.

2 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

My wife and I got the Queen Dragon Rescue for Christmas, and while the dragon is amazing, I am somewhat bummed by the rigidity of the legs, and feel like a knee joint would be ideal.

Has anyone tried altering the legs to include a knee joint? I am thinking Mixel joints, but am put off by the lack of color options so would love to get some other ideas.

It'd be hard to add knee joints while maintaining the elegant shaping, and to be honest the legs of the Queen Dragon seem to be as rigid as they are in part to support the weight of such a large creature even when not all four legs are touching the ground.

If you really want to try to add knee joints, your best bet might be something like click hinges that are both reasonably compact and effective at holding a pose without buckling.