Hi!

Let me share the

race that was held last weekend in Moscow.

All trucks are powered with PF-motors. My crawler was controlled with SBrick.

I hope you'll enjoy it :)

really cool :) id love to partecipate in something like this!

just a question: why are all the models so slow? i mean, of course they're crawlers but for obstacles shown in the video something faster than that would have worked just fine :P

The truck at 10:00 min mark interests me. I am curious about the dual differentials inside the cab and how they work together and what point they serve.

The truck at 10:00 min mark interests me. I am curious about the dual differentials inside the cab and how they work together and what point they serve.

I believe they act as some form of a CVT (continuously variable transmission) I agree very interesting !

just a question: why are all the models so slow? i mean, of course they're crawlers but for obstacles shown in the video something faster than that would have worked just fine :P

The route wasn't so easy in fact. And models met difficulties on some obstacles. It was interesting to watch in reality, but looks dull on video. So I've cut these moments to make video more dinamic.

Anyway Snake's, AmbiDexter's and my crawlers have a "cross-country ability" reserve, and can overcome more difficult routes. But we had different types of trucks on the race and decided to make a route applicable for all. I think we'll make more hardcore next time :)

I believe they act as some form of a CVT (continuously variable transmission) I agree very interesting !

You are right. It was a form of CVT (not very productive in practice). I'll ask the author were you can get some detailed description.

I prefer trial truck races when everyone uses the same Lego parts, that is the challenge of design that breaks when using another parts.

I prefer trial truck races when everyone uses the same Lego parts, that is the challenge of design that breaks when using another parts.

We have followed this principle for a few years. But native lego-tyres limits models' abilities considerably. And we decided to allow non-lego (RC) tyres. But herewith the participant who uses non-lego tyres is fined severely. That is why Snake and I haven't won this race :)

That was a truly awesome track, crossing a river is a great idea,congrats guys ;)

What intrigued me the most is the steering solution several participants used. I never saw a small actuator used this way, and I love it! Can someone please share the instructions for this?

Edited by braker23

What intrigued me the most is the steering solution several participants used. I never saw a small actuator used this way, and I love it! Can someone please share the instructions for this?

Here it is:

img_4578.jpg

More photos on bricktrucktrial.com

I've made an adjustable rigidity of front suspension on this crawler. I'll add some photos a bit later.

You are right. It was a form of CVT (not very productive in practice). I'll ask the author were you can get some detailed description.

Photo1 Photo2

We have followed this principle for a few years. But native lego-tyres limits models' abilities considerably. And we decided to allow non-lego (RC) tyres. But herewith the participant who uses non-lego tyres is fined severely. That is why Snake and I haven't won this race :)

:thumbup:

Here it is:

More photos on bricktrucktrial.com

I've made an adjustable rigidity of front suspension on this crawler. I'll add some photos a bit later.

Thanks a lot zver, but I am really interested to build the other variant, with the M motor placed on the axle, who has more photos of that?

Thanks a lot zver, but I am really interested to build the other variant, with the M motor placed on the axle, who has more photos of that?

The second crawler with small actuator for steering was made by WINNER. But he has disassembled his truck allready and I have no photos unfortunatelly :sceptic: . The video is HD-quality - it may be enough to catch the idea of actuator usage.

P.S.

From my point of view it is a better challenge to place no motors on axles. Have you ever seen it in real-life crawlers? :wink:

the small LA means less torque steer too (or bump into a stone steer)

The only advantage of smal LA is it's low size and weight. Small LA is too slow for steering. I thought to replace the XL-motor with the buggy-motor but I'll have to make the steering faster too. And small LA won't be suitable.

I've made several front axle types since the first version of crawler in 2011:

type 1 with some complex reductor

type 2 with worm/24 gear box

type 3 with worm/16 gear box (good speed/torque balance)

type 4 with small LA (the most compact and light)

Here it is:

2015-07-08_21.02.14-94817.jpg

The only advantage of smal LA is it's low size and weight. Small LA is too slow for steering. I thought to replace the XL-motor with the buggy-motor but I'll have to make the steering faster too. And small LA won't be suitable.

I've made several front axle types since the first version of crawler in 2011:

type 1 with some complex reductor

type 2 with worm/24 gear box

type 3 with worm/16 gear box (good speed/torque balance)

type 4 with small LA (the most compact and light)

Thanks a lot for the detailed photos, you have built some pretty unique steering systems, I have a lot to learn from you. Build mode ON!

Thanks a lot for the detailed photos, you have built some pretty unique steering systems, I have a lot to learn from you. Build mode ON!

Here are a few more photos of different steering system types. They may be interesting for you too.

This is just awesome, I saw some impressive techniques there, I hope I hate time to try at least 2 of these. Thanks again!

Welcome!

P.S.

Smart differential is coming soon... :)

Looks fun. I wish that kind of competition were around here. At least I don't have to worry about breaking construction rules when there is no structured competition.

v/r

Andy