Jim

[REVIEW] 2H 2015 Video Reviews

The gearbox is actually not as complex as it appears, though the way it works is awesome and much better than switching directions using the battery box.

In most Technic gearboxes the drive ring is the input and the clutch gears are the outputs. This is not the case with this gearbox. Here all the clutch gears are the input and driven all the time by the motor. Each opposite pair of clutch gears (one pair for each drive ring) are being driven by the motor in opposite directions. When you engage a drive ring with the clutch gear, the drive ring and it's respective shaft rotate in one direction. Flick the drive ring the other way and it rotates the opposite direction. So I guess in this case it's not called a drive ring but a driven ring :laugh: . It's shaft is then sent to a function. It looks more complicated than it really is due to there being one drive ring and two clutch gears per function when we are used to see two functions share one drive ring.

I'm not seeing it being used that way in the video from brick builder.

But if it works this way, it's nice.

The space shuttle B-model has this way of working with the functions aswell. So, implementing it in this set brings something 'new'.

This gearbox is not really new... well, it's new in an official set (apart from the submarine B-model of 8480 - which is btw. one of the best b-models), but not new overall, because there is a really oustanding excavator MOC which introduces exactly such a gearbox type:

http://rebrickable.com/mocs/yannmar/motorized-hydraulic-excavator

Here is my comment for this MOC (i have build it and its worth it): http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=90485&st=50#entry1872101 - just jump to the beginning of the thread to see the MOC description...

If the 42042 is similar to this MOC-gearbox then it's not a complex one but an simple but nevertheless ingenious and nifty one - but the "copyright" has not TLG but this MOCer linked above...

Good review... sweet plane... but not the main reason to buy this set... :)

But it's good that this set got nice B Model...

Thx Pawel...

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Cheers Sariel.....i think they used the parts very well, while i personally would not build the ASU or the ladder, i would use the parts as spares, i think they were creative in trying to use as many parts as possible.

It has neat functions, and more then i expected for a B model....it could well sell as they A with a little more refinement. I look to sets to see if i will buy two to build A and B.....this is certainly a set i will buy two of.