Exetrius

The Exetrius saga: Onicius prologue (part 2)

Onicius prologue

part 1: The village raid

Part 2: A merchant's knowledge

After his failed pursuit, Onicius felt angry and hopeless. What would they do to his sister? What could he do for his sister? Chasing the bastards was not an option anymore, so he returned to the village. Suddenly, he got struck by a great fear once again: did something happen to his parents? His father was a town guard, his mother worked on the fields outside the walls. The streets were chaotic: fathers and mothers ran around in tears, screaming for their child. While running, Onicius learned that the intruders entered via the two other gates too. Children and young women had been taken away, how could they! At the town square, a little field hospital had been installed. Almost all of the victims were guards, most of them were already dead, of whom his father...

Onicius walked home like a zombie; numbness, restless and dead inside. The next morning, he had come to his senses for a little. His sister was not dead, otherwise they wouldn't have stolen her. She had to be saved! When skies turned dark for Onicius, one person had always been there for him: Nerocarsus. He was a wealthy, but lonely merchant, well-respected throughout the province. Onicius was sure that the man had some piece of advice!

Onicius found Nerocarsus in his tent. To his great surprise, the merchant's goods hadn't been stolen. He seemed relieved that Onicius was alright. In tears, he told what had happened to his father and sister.

18894092185_0d3bf34470_z.jpg

Onicius:

".... I want to be strong! Strong so I can free my sister!"

Nerocarsus:

"A boy on his own is not strong enough to stand a chance against such group of barbarians! Anger will result in foolish actions!"

Onicius:

"But sir, as a good brother, I must..."

Nerocarsus:

"Listen to me, I WILL help you get stronger, but I want you to know that it takes more than determination beat those guys. A normal human can not beat a whole group of babarians. Those who can are either experienced warriors, or wizards, who practice magic, Onicius. Are you still listening?"

Onicius:

"Yes sir, yes! Could you please tell me more about magic?"

18896931581_e7d47c619f_z.jpg

Over the years, Nerocarsus had met a lot of people who practiced magic. Bit by bit, he had learned the basics of magic. He developed a good eye for enchanted items and runes. There weren't many other merchants who could tell so much about an item's history and properties as Nerocarsus. He knew exactly what objects to acquire to make a good profit.

Nerocarsus:

"In essence, there are three types of magic: alchemy, cryptomagic and energy magic. Alchemy controls the flow and arrangement of matter. Energy magic controls the flow and containment of energy within matter. Energy is needed to practice any form of magic. Cryptomagic describes the way in which matter and energy must flow. All forms of magic are a combination of these four...Erm, three basic types."

Onicius:

"Wow! That is incredible! Do you have any enchanted items here in your store that I could..."

Nerocarsus:

Patience, Onicius! Yes, I do have runes and magic items here, but you cannot let you use them, yet. Though I am a merchant, I learned some magic along the road to the present. Especially for you, I will show you some of my tricks.

Onicius:

Sir Nerocarsus, thank you, you're the best!

18707929019_3f317e9cfe.jpg

Nerocarsus took a dark red crystal from one of the shelves and then three egg-shaped pieces of metal, which he put on the floor. He explained that the crystal was a rune: an object containing magic energy. He began casting the spell, the eggs started to deform and then there it was: sculpture of a chicken.

Onicius was awed!

18896930411_c0de56c301.jpg

Onicius could not wait to learn more, so Nerocarsus gave him a basic magic encyclopedia so he could do some self education. At home, he read the first three chapters: more elaborate descriptions of the three main magic types. After chapter three followed a couple of blank pages, and then chapter five. What could be the reason for this?

To be continued..... in the next part: Meeting a wizard

Thanks for reading! C&C appreciated :classic:

Edited by Exetrius

Very nice build and continuation of your story! I like the use of headlight bricks for when the boy is sitting down :thumbup:

Nice scene, and I fully agree that the usage of bricks for the 2 minifigs in their seated positions is great! :sweet:

Nice build Exetrius, the store packed with merchandise is great and, as the others mentioned, the way you have the figs sitting down is excellent as well! :thumbup:

Four comments in a row about the use of the headlight bricks as legs, one of the least challenging parts of the build. I guess I should make my next build a little less boring :tongue:!

Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback! :classic:

Very nice little shop you made there! Really gives that bazaar-y feel to it with the trinkets all over the place :classic: Good job!

Very nice work! I like the 'shop' atmosphere you made and all the details :thumbup:

Very nice little shop you made there! Really gives that bazaar-y feel to it with the trinkets all over the place :classic: Good job!

Very nice work! I like the 'shop' atmosphere you made and all the details :thumbup:

Love the sitting pose in the first picture :thumbup: Great display racks and helmet design too :classic:

Aside from those sitting positions, I am happy with the way the shop turned out. Choosing some special display to stall was quite fun too. Thanks you all for the positive feedback :classic:

I must say that there's not a lot of bricks in there, but you've created such an atmosphere with these few bricks... Very nice!