bricklearth

[MoC] Gondorian Army

Hi folks,

I've been working on tracking down the right parts to assemble a solidly movie-accurate Gondorian army for quite a while now. I think I've finally gotten it pretty nailed down, and I wanted to share the results with other people who might be interested. That "wait, what, no Gondor?" feeling is a tough one :D.

These aren't purist, by any means and I certainly did not make any of the parts myself...but, as far as I've been able to find, no one has shared these parts all assembled together before. I'm really happy with them, and think they've got a very strong "purish" vibe - they're close to something TLG would have made, if they'd actually made Gondorian figs. I'm unsure on etiquette around sharing links to sources, but I'm more than happy to do so if it's allowed.

Anyway, hope everyone enjoys this first section of my little army. This is about 30% of the guys I've got for this group, I'll post more photos as I get the rest of them fully assembled. I'd love feedback, tell me what you think :D

17178594425_ce1fc1f48f_c.jpgUntitled by bricklearth, on Flickr

17176946972_e8b1cff388_c.jpgUntitled by bricklearth, on Flickr

17176956702_aebe4d41c7_c.jpgUntitled by bricklearth, on Flickr

16558433773_4760156187_c.jpgUntitled by bricklearth, on Flickr

Edited by bricklearth

I think they look very nice. You've done a great job with them!

Only one little negative aspect that I can think of, the size and shape of the helmets.

But alott better then other existing parts for sure!

Wow, that's a great Gondor army! I really like the custom pieces you used for them. The shoulder piece is a very nice addition, too :classic:

Those look pretty good! I know where most of the pieces come from as I have seen them before (the torsos and legs on eBay, the helmets from the BL seller who makes them, etc.), but how much would you say each minifigure cost you to construct?

Thanks for the nice feedback folks :D

Only one little negative aspect that I can think of, the size and shape of the helmets.

But alott better then other existing parts for sure!

I also initially felt like the helmets were a touch too large. Having lived with them in person, that concern has faded. Maybe it's just familiarity, but imho it gives the extra height gives the little guys an imposing presence. Either way though, they're really the only choice - nothing else I've been able to find is the correct shape, and those helmets are so iconic that it really throws off the entire look to use anything else. That said, I'm very game to try other parts if anyone has suggestions :).

Those look pretty good! I know where most of the pieces come from as I have seen them before (the torsos and legs on eBay, the helmets from the BL seller who makes them, etc.), but how much would you say each minifigure cost you to construct?

The main downside is that these are tough on the wallet. A lot of this was bought from the EU and I'm in the US, so conversions/shipping/spread-out-acquisition-times make the final price a bit fuzzy. But I believe the damage was $18 per fig. So definitely not cheap.

On the flip side, I'm not looking to build truly massive armies the way some folks do. I just want a couple dozen truly-on-point guys :).

Edited by bricklearth

where did you get those helmets? also very nice job!!!

Great mini figs- Gondor soldiers are some of the most expensive mini figures to customize, with mine I used the CMF Heroic knight to create an army of over 100 Gondorians.

flic.kr/p/pthxXn

I wish I could afford to equip my whole army with those helmets!

Edited by Gondorfan

The main downside is that these are tough on the wallet. A lot of this was bought from the EU and I'm in the US, so conversions/shipping/spread-out-acquisition-times make the final price a bit fuzzy. But I believe the damage was $18 per fig. So definitely not cheap.

Ya, that's what I was afraid of. I know the torso and legs are around $5, and the helmets alone another $3.40 so that right there is nearly 10 bucks. Then add in the shields, heads, shoulder armor, and weapons... and it gets pretty pricey. I heard rumors that one of the bigger third party accessory companies was looking into doing Gondor-style helmets and possibly armor. I am still holding out hope for that if nothing comes of the Ideas and Dimensions projects. Not perfect but they should be decent quality and cheaper.

Edited by Deathleech

With mine I used the CMF Heroic knight to create an army of over 100 Gondorians.

Your guys look awesome, and that Minas Tirith is sweet!

I heard rumors that one of the bigger third party accessory companies was looking into doing Gondor-style helmets and possibly armor. I am still holding out hope for that if nothing comes of the Ideas and Dimensions projects. Not perfect but they should be decent quality and cheaper.

I ended up not waiting, b/c I was worried that these parts would sell out (some are from v. low quantity producers)...but it would be great news if one of the big 3rd parties got involved. Seems like it would make a lot of sense too - it seems like there'd clearly be a market for Gondor kits. They could even design them around a "best fit" more common minifig.

Your custom orc armies look great too.

Thanks! I've been meaning to post those, but got a bit busy this weekend :). I"m gearing up to work on a minifig-scaled fell beast for the nazgul to ride. A lot of the design of the new "Red Creatures" creations set can be reused - the idea is bascially "different head, different wings, longer neck, and built using black parts".

The OP hasn't been active on EB for a few months now, so do not expect an immediate reply to your questions.

Be patient and he might get here again and answer you.

As an alternative, you could try to contact him via Flickr, as there's a link to his account beside most of the pics he linked.

I'm still here - just been a bit busy :)

The torsos come from Green Pea Toys on ebay. It looks like they're on vacation (store on "away" until 9/25) but you can see their flickr here: GONDOR SOLDIER

The helmets come from here: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Dan76. I think the one here is even more impressive, but it's gdugaucquier's personal custom work: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112909

The shields come from here: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Friend.bricks

All of these things are solidly made. I'm not sure if they'd stand up to children's play, but they're more than durable enough for a display - they don't feel any more fragile than stuff directly from TLG :)

Hope this helps!

Hi, very nice customs, they look really impressive as a large group. I think the helmet size would have looked slightly too big is there wasn't any other armour on the figures, but the size looks fine with the shoulder pauldrons you've added.

Hello everybody!

I have made few prototypes of new design Gondor and Second Age Elven Helmets.

They are prototypes, final products will be smooth and polished.

What do you think?

Hello everybody!

What do you think?

great stuff :thumbup:

Hello everybody!

What do you think?

Nice, looks good. Although the originial has a few extra ornamental lines I believe. Is there any way to include this?

One might add that there is no real second age Elven shield on the market... maybe there is money to be made.

Edited by Wardancer