Murdoch17

MOC: Victorian modular railroad station

I was inspired by a Facebook post to the Modular LEGO Buildings group by a person named Kade Rodgers to create this railway station.

Here is the original version that comes from 2011 and was later demolished:

16389080064_9eaffb9042_z.jpg

This model was inspired by set 10199, Winter Village toy Shop.

16823738538_07eea5bae7_z.jpg

The building is open backed, and features a desk on the top floor and ticket counter with cash register on the first floor.

...and here is the newer version the above model was turned into. This newer model is modular, and as such has five removable sections that combine into one medium size station.

27674144993_35865bba50_z.jpg

Here you can see the track side of the station which has plenty of seats (16 chairs, to be precise) for waiting passengers to sit on.

28255589646_e9d6de26c2_z.jpg

Here you can see the street side, where the public enters the station from the parking lot or can directly access the platform via the ramp. You can also see the stairs to the upper floor which is where the station master's office is.

28211250841_e898a0e146_z.jpg

This is the inside of the station, with two ticket machines and six seats for the indoor passenger waiting area. The coal burning fireplace is still used on really cold winter nights, but since the last few winters have been mild in Ironwood, it hasn't been used in a good long while.

27674144883_a9e22f18c8_z.jpg

Here is the old station master's office on the upper floor, which is off limits the the public. In more recent years it has been made to function as the employee break room / switch control tower for the tracks in the immediate vicinity of the station.

28185819092_9f5d8f78e4_z.jpg

The entire model is made up of five sections that come apart. They are as follows: first floor, second floor, second floor roof, left platform and right platform.

Sadly, their is no LDD file available for thew new station. However, comments, questions & complaints are always welcome!

(EDIT 7/13/16: After hearing some good suggestions about adding a ramp back onto one of my railroad stations, I have finally finished finding the parts for it and gotten some pictures taken of the updated model. Enjoy!)

Edited by Murdoch17

This model has been updated. I have completely redone the entire model, especially the two roof sections. I also recolored a bunch of the light bluish gray parts to reddish brown and added a printed part to serve as the clock. (Two of this part: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3960pb024 )

The LDD file and pictures have been updated accordingly.

Sorry for the zombie-bump, but I thought making a new post on this topic would be a bad idea.

27528864626_d976240895_z.jpg

I have remade the first post to be more in line with my most recent mods to the model.

Murdoch17,

It has a nice quaint, English countryside feel to it. Though I am torn between the forced entry through the station building and the prior side ramp designs. The expanded building is a much better fit.

3D LEGO

The building is much better with rear wall, but I think you should return the ramp. Also,there is something missing inside. Maybe ad a map, schedule or something like that.

But of course, it is very elegant.

Edited by Elektrychka

Murdoch17,

It has a nice quaint, English countryside feel to it. Though I am torn between the forced entry through the station building and the prior side ramp designs. The expanded building is a much better fit.

3D LEGO

Thanks! It does have a bit of an English country feel.

The building is much better with rear wall, but I think you should return the ramp. Also,there is something missing inside. Maybe ad a map, schedule or something like that.

But of course, it is very elegant.

I will consider re-adding the ramp, and maybe a large picture or something... what about a mailbox?

Really really beautyful.

I like the colors...brown with dark green....nice.

Good work.

Thank you, this is my favorite color scheme to work with... it goes well with this dark green train I built.

24715765660_3cbd8c4160_z.jpg

They looks very nice together In Real Life... i may post a picture of the two together at some point.

Edited by Murdoch17

I like this although I'd recommend to add some additional plates/bricks under the seats. The way you built them they seem to be a little low for minifigs.

sorry to bump this...

I like this although I'd recommend to add some additional plates/bricks under the seats. The way you built them they seem to be a little low for minifigs.

Thanks, and sorry for the late reply. I used the seats the way I did because that's how Lego does it, and all my models use it that way too.... it just looks right to me.

28185819092_9f5d8f78e4_z.jpg

Anyway, the main post was edited today after hearing some good suggestions about adding a ramp back onto one of my railroad stations. I have finally finished finding the parts for it and gotten some pictures taken of the updated model. Enjoy! :sweet:

Murdoch17,

They may be small modifications but they add a lot to your MOC. The more liberal entrance to the platform that you incorporated gives it a better vintage vibe.

I am not very familiar with vintage Victorian era architecture but would some roof peak wrought iron details be fitting?

3D LEGO

It looks very nice. I think that in this station any train made of LEGO bricks would be at home :)

Murdoch17,

They may be small modifications but they add a lot to your MOC. The more liberal entrance to the platform that you incorporated gives it a better vintage vibe.

I am not very familiar with vintage Victorian era architecture but would some roof peak wrought iron details be fitting?

3D LEGO

Thanks! Your suggestion of wrought iron roof details is interesting. I'll have to look into it!

It looks very nice. I think that in this station any train made of LEGO bricks would be at home :)

Thank you, and yeah, any train would look nice next to this model, from an American 4-4-0 steamer, to a French TGV electric.

It looks really nice. I particularly like the station windows.

Thanks. Those dark green windows are hard to find in quantity for a good price nowadays.... I guess I got them at the right time!