Sign in to follow this  
Kodan Black

[SoNE Freebuild 8.1] - Glorified Chauffeur

A few weeks back my Flight Ops Captain told me to report to a Commander Ninkovich for some special tasking. I had no idea what that meant but given that it was coming from the Captain I wasn't really given a choice. Commander Ninkovich informed me that he needed a combat veteran to act as his personal shuttle pilot and to accompany him to ensure his safe return. So basically I, a veteran combat pilot, was being ordered to act as chauffeur to an arrogant officer with a grand sense of entitlement. Exciting.

A couple of days each week I would accompany the Commander as he visited planetary administrators or officers at various Imperial bases. I'd trot around after him as he received reports or talked about recent activity; the whole time contemplating using my sidearm to end the boredom. I even was made to wear a shuttle pilot uniform instead of something more befitting an Interceptor pilot. He wanted me to blend in and not seem out of place.

Even when we were alone in the shuttle Commander Ninkovich rarely talked to me. I think his personality is just to be very quiet and avoid needless conversation. Or maybe he works in intelligence and doesn't want to say too much. I'm not even sure what branch of the Imperial forces he works for. Given that he hasn't volunteered it, I've decided to not ask too many questions, though some of my fellow pilots seem to think he is ISB. I don't think he is based on what I've heard of them, but I've never met any ISB myself so I can't really say for sure. But I know I'm not ISB and I think I'd have to go through some sort of process to be qualified to pilot for them. Right?

IMG_2940.jpg

Today we are visiting an Imperial outpost to receive a progress report. On what, I'm not sure -- then again I'm never told why we are going somewhere, just where to take the Commander and that I'm responsible for his well-being. As we land it looks like a fairly standard Imperial fortified building. Stormtroopers guarding the place and heavy blast doors at ground level to keep even a heavy ground attack from breaching the building. There are defenses and sand around the entrance to limit vehicles near the building and to funnel an attacking force into a narrow corridor. Quite well thought out actually, probably better than most of the buildings we've been to lately. I don't doubt there are further surprises hidden from view.

IMG_2946.jpg

It isn't until we are inside that I notice something ... strange. The corridor leading to the interior is unusual and has a distinctly hospital smell. It has that clean smell, but not clean like a room in a well kept house, more clean like from disinfectant. That harshly chemical odor that instantly makes you worry what it is that they need to use such measures to keep the place clean from. But with Commander Ninkovich not donning a mask or any other devices I guess I can believe myself fairly safe. The hallway itself also is odd -- what do all those things on the wall do. I'm both curious and afraid to find out what is behind the large, heavy blast doors at the end of the corridor.

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

Please judge and critique!

I like the interior floors a lot better than the round tiles outside the building, same for the interior door over the outer door. The rounded lbg bricks you've used on the interior walls and outside roof seem to stand out too much; I've had trouble finding good uses for those as well. I really like your use of color throughout; it's subtle and not overstated but still livens up the predominately gray build. The framing of your shots is good, except for the black studs visible in the last two shots (just adding a brick on top would have fixed those satisfactorily). I also think the balcony could use a redesign so that your parts worked together more smoothly. The balcony kind of looks like an afterthought as is, but those arches in the doorway look really good.

I hope that wasn't too negative. I can see that your builds are really improving and your story is good. I'm ready to see what's behind that door.

No, I definitely welcome the feedback! The visible black studs I only really noticed today as I was posting, oops. You have a lot of very good advice. Thank you for taking the time to write up your thoughts.

I like how your story is progressing - I think we can all relate to being given a crappy assignment and not having any choice in the matter :classic:

My only feedback is in regard to the minifig posing. I think your character is in the right place for protecting the commander, but turning his head so he's not looking straight ahead might make him look more watchful. Ditto on the stormtroopers - maybe have them looking different directions, and perhaps having their weapons "at the ready" instead of aimed.

Other than that, I agree with Goatm; I like your subtle use of color and both the door and the hallway greebling look great.

Really good build, I always enjoy reading your stories, keep up the good work.