Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #127: A Light in the Darkness

"Fascinating..." Grimwald muses thoughtfully, more to himself than anyone else.

"I would hardly say so," I state grimly, overhearing Grimwald. "It is downright frightening in truth. If necromancers can unleash undead upon the world without it sapping their power of ether, it could be well-nigh terrible for the world. In the past, the expense of tonics and other ether-boosting consumables put a check on the power of necromancers, but if they no longer need ether to control their corpses or to keep them alive then they can summon as many as they like, presuming the corpses are available, and unleash them on the world. Even if the undead are not malicious if such a quantity live and they eat and drink like any one of us, it could throw off the balance of the world entirely, causing famines and who knows what else."

"Bah!" I grunt loudly, before whispering to Grimwald,

"I can't say it's not, but there are things that one should avoid dabbling in."

"I'm quite sure you said racing towards fate. Fate is never really a good thing. As far as people having houses is concerned, I don't think there's any way that you can say that for a fact, but I think that's more or less irrelevant. Improving houses is, obviously, a good thing, creating a world where soulless beings can fight and kill sentient ones, less so. Giving power to many just leads to confusion and a lack of progressiveness from what I've seen. Keeping power, such as can be created from machines these days, in the hands of just a few is a menace to society at large."

IMG_2127_zps9bce482c.jpg

"Ah, I see. You're one of the types who'd have fought against the houses because you wouldn't have understood them. So be it. I guess you probably think that books should be banned too, since they bring power to the masses. And Hel, maybe schooling too, because that gives all the folks intelligence. It wasn't around in the beginning, so it shouldn't be around now, aye?" She chuckles. "Hope you're a better fighter than you are a thinker. I'm none too bright and I just ran circles round you."

Nerwen just rolls her eyes at the posturing. She fixes on Deborah firmly and says

If an idea needs you to kill those who oppose it to make it successful, that says it's not a successful idea.

IMG_2127_zps9bce482c.jpg

Deborah laughs even more loudly at Nerwen's point. "Jeez, you Heroicans sure are a close minded bunch for how often you travel and how many different ideas you yourselves are willing to kill for. Sorry if that offends you, but you're a mercenary, so philosophically and morally I think you're pretty much last on the list. Besides, aren't you an elf? Maybe you're a young one, but if you've lived even fifty years I think you'd pick up that people are killing other people for ideas just about all the time. Take these Paladins and Order Imperial folks. They're closer to the same ideas than most people, and they're still gearing up to kill each other."

"You say you know Gocklo from up at the Augustus Bridge, right? Look, like I told your friend the Monk, I'm not much of a thinker. I wasn't asked onto the Crusade to be the brains of the outfit, just some extra muscle. But up at that bridge, there was going to be fighting between the Orcs and Nords and Kingdoms and Paladins even if Gocklo and Heweyrt hadn't shown up. Their goal was the make sure the right folks died so that the bridge went through. Because even though some folks died, we're pretty sure that bridge is going to help make all those northerners, regardless of race, more friendly. And that might save lives in the end. And foster some new community, and that might give us some new ideas." She shrugs. "Like I said, I'm not much for thinking, but that's the way Heweyrt puts it."

To Yu Shu she says,

A place like this will have more than one door, so that higher ups can escape if threatened or move special goods in without disturbing the plebs. If you want to catch them all you'll have to stopper all the holes.

Did this magic which prevents earthworks also prevent travelling in and out magically? We are dealing with a mage you said.

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"There were no escape tunnels. These were places of final defenses. The Paladin General stationed there was prepared to die with his men." Yu Shu frowns. "I don't know about a place for goods to come in or out. It seems logical, and it's not the sort of thing you'd write a whole lot of stories about, so it's possible I haven't heard of it. It defeats the whole purpose of the place though." Her shoulders sag a little. "Sometimes I find it best to sleep on a matter such as this. We've travelled all day. I'm tired." Yu Shu stretches out on the hard ground and closes her eyes. "Oko, take the first watch."

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"Gladly." He walks over to Kiray. "We discussed my use of one of your maces. Want to give me one, or hold onto them?" He glances over at Mitchell. "I think things might get dicey as early as tonight."

Marcellus glares a little bit more at Gocklo before also picking a spot on the ground. Avery lays down as well, a little ways off. Gocklo stays by the fire, warming his hands, and Mitchell wanders over to join him. They talk in hushed voices.

"Ah, I see. You're one of the types who'd have fought against the houses because you wouldn't have understood them. So be it. I guess you probably think that books should be banned too, since they bring power to the masses. And Hel, maybe schooling too, because that gives all the folks intelligence. It wasn't around in the beginning, so it shouldn't be around now, aye?" She chuckles. "Hope you're a better fighter than you are a thinker. I'm none too bright and I just ran circles round you."

"Wow! You're thick. I think you didn't understand a single thing of what I said. Since you disagree with my statement, are you saying that we should hand killer automatons to every person on the street? Also, books have little to do with power. There are plenty of clueless people in positions of power who are only there due to family ties or something of the like. Similarly, there are plenty of educated people in the hovels who can't make ends meet, but I guess you wouldn't know about that either."

Working with this woman will be tedious. Why are we allowing them along exactly? I wonder.

IMG_2127_zps9bce482c.jpg

"If some folks are going to have the automatons, seems fair that they should all have them. Then we can move onto the next great thing. As for books... sure, what you say it true, but it's better to have them then not." She shrugs. "But I am thick. And we can leave it at that. I don't have to like you and you don't have to like me, all we've got to do is kill some other folks together. Not even together. Near each other, let's call it, if that makes you more comfortable. Now, I'm going to get some shut eye. See you in the morning, sweet cheeks."

Gocklo bounces over to Nerwen.

11157845374_5dfcf7b614_t.jpg

"Give her a chance. If you and I can get along, then you can get along with her. I'm told I'm very unpleasant and she's apparently only a little unpleasant he he." He grins his vicious smile.

Grimwald smiles sheepishly at Gocklo's grin. He was still wary about the newcomers, but if a haughty elf like Nerwen could get along with the kobold, why couldn't he?

"So, Gocklo" he begins, "where do you hail from?"

"Of course, Oko," Kiray replies. "Take the Shadeaux Mace. I think it will be good a choice. Just be careful with it, I'm looking after it, it's not mine. Do you want some one to join you for your watch?"

For you little one, I will give her a chance. But I have had betrayals since we last met and you will find me less trusting.

"So, Gocklo" he begins, "where do you hail from?"

For you little one, I will give her a chance. But I have had betrayals since we last met and you will find me less trusting.

11157845374_5dfcf7b614_t.jpg

"My past is not the happiest, he he." The kobold grins darkly. "Kobolds are, for whatever reason, considered ugly and devious. Can't imagine why he he he. I was born in the slums outside a small city in the Low Kingdoms. My parents were alright folks, I guess. I guess they're probably dead by now." He shrugs. "I learned to be a thief to survive. You know, regular old sob story. Sometimes I got chased, so I learned how to be pretty alright with a knife too. One day I had to flee into the forest for a few days, lay low, he he he. I ran into three witches who were dancing around a fire. They didn't have the gremlin back then. They invited me to dine with them. I was stupid then, he he he. I'm stupid now too, of course! He he he. The oldest witch, Deci, told me stories of great heroes throughout history, how they came from small beginnings, but had good hearts. Told me about some thief princes too. When she and her sister Nona went to sleep, Morta and I stayed up. I think she took a liking to me, the bitch, he he. Asked me if I wanted to be a hero too - told me she could make me one even! I said sure! Idiotic little kid, heh." He giggles for a while. "Any way, when I woke up the next morning I had a ruby in my hand and the ability to use it. Found out I wasn't half bad with a shield either, all of a sudden, and I was pretty damn good at finding gold and picking locks. Course, the witches forgot to tell me how exactly it all worked. I didn't really know how to use my new powers. Burned down four blocks, he he he. The King put a reward on me, my parents were horrified by me, my friends tried to kill me - heck, some of our best friends had died in that fire! And when I thought it couldn't get worse, one of the witches, Nona, showed up to help me out of the city. I thought she felt bad! She laughed at me. Really laughed. Told me its what she and her sisters did. Provided opportunities. She wasn't ashamed, she was proud!"

"So, that's that! He he he. Now one day I'll kill them or they'll kill me and until then I'm just killing time with some people I like! Heweyrt found me, but before my life got better, it got worse, so I'm not going to talk about that part." The kobold rocks back and forth, and stares at Nerwen. "Hopefully that helps with that whole trust thing he he he. Deborah doesn't even know that whole story! Not that she's ever asked. Keeps mostly to herself with history. I like that, he he he. But I'm here to help my pals. You saw me at the bridge. I want to kill those witches, but it'll come, and until then, Deborah is in charge!"

"And don't worry, gnome. I'm sure we'll be pals, but to be honest I don't give a rat's megablocks about you until I know if you can kill or not. If not, your dead weight. If you can, we'll be great pals!" The kobold's sharp teeth flash again.

"Of course, Oko," Kiray replies. "Take the Shadeaux Mace. I think it will be good a choice. Just be careful with it, I'm looking after it, it's not mine. Do you want some one to join you for your watch?"

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"I'll be careful with it. It's a nice weapon." He grabs hold of the mace and gives it a few experimental swings. "An extra pair of eyes wouldn't hurt, either. Thanks."

"Well, I can't exactly say that killing is a hobby of mine, but I can fight pretty well for an old man if I have to. I'm more about keeping people alive though, really."

"Any way, when I woke up the next morning I had a ruby in my hand and the ability to use it. Found out I wasn't half bad with a shield either, all of a sudden, and I was pretty damn good at finding gold and picking locks. Course, the witches forgot to tell me how exactly it all worked. I didn't really know how to use my new powers. Burned down four blocks, he he he. The King put a reward on me, my parents were horrified by me, my friends tried to kill me - heck, some of our best friends had died in that fire! And when I thought it couldn't get worse, one of the witches, Nona, showed up to help me out of the city. I thought she felt bad! She laughed at me. Really laughed. Told me its what she and her sisters did. Provided opportunities. She wasn't ashamed, she was proud!"

"Not that I care much about what he says," I whisper to Grimwald, "but that's why just handing out power to anyone will throw this world into chaos. If every genuinely wicked person, let's just say this Gocklo isn't, had access to such magic, the world would be in flames in minutes. That's not even taking into account those who would use their powers accidentally. Anyway, it looks like we've got quite a rotten team to work with, on both sides, this time around."

"At least the Paladins are paying us...hopefully. Nah, they look like they're good enough folk. Everyone else though..." I give Grimwald a fretful glance. "At least our team looks pretty reasonable, not like some I've had to work with."

Edited by Palathadric

Night falls and the heroes' eyes grow tired. They all take up places around the dying fire, and soon fall asleep. Oko and Kiray take the first watch...

...and it is a groggy Kiray, with a throbbing bump on the back of her head, who is the first to wake up. She tries to remember how she came to be lying on the ground. Had they been attacked? She scrambles for her sword, but she finds it missing.

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"Don't bother, Kiray. It's over already, and I don't want to hurt you."

Kiray looks up, and in the moonlight, sees that things have taken a turn for the worst, and that Pretzel's moral judgement is, as always, a little off. The others are starting to rise as well. And they are greeted by an army.

IMG_2285_zpsvdyfwraj.jpg

Yu Shu springs to her feet, and from the forest the heroes can hear the sound of many crossbows being cocked. It's impossible to tell how many.

IMG_2314_zpsenvy1dw3.jpg

"Oko! You fool! What have you done?!"

But it is the young woman who answers.

IMG_2318_zpsukcataij.jpg

"This is the famous Yu Shu?" She giggles. "What a disappointment. I was hoping for more. Walked right into our trap. How idiotic. You knew there were spies among your ranks."

IMG_2314_zpsenvy1dw3.jpg

"But I never suspected Oko! Why?"

Oko opens his mouth, but is cut off.

IMG_2318_zpsukcataij.jpg

"What does it matter why? He was tired of ineffective leadership. You cannot even clean up Eubric, much less create an empire. Your tolerance and defense of the weak allows for weakness to fester, for darkness to grow. Pathetic." Bella spits at Yu Shu's feet. "We have crossbow men in the woods who outnumber you three to one. Surrender."

IMG_2319_zpsdnir2xv0.jpg

"I'd like a crack at her, if not," chuckles a deep voice that echoes throughout the faceless armor.

IMG_2318_zpsukcataij.jpg

"Tell your godless mercenaries to stand down as well." Bella looks over the party. "Disgusting, allying yourself with kobolds, green skins, undead. Ha!"

IMG_2314_zpsenvy1dw3.jpg

"I order you all to stand down," growls Yu Shu. She shoots a look at Nerwen before throwing down her weapon. Silently, Avery follows suit Marcellus grunts as he shoves off his shield, armor and whip. Deborah inches over to Nerwen and Pretzel.

IMG_2127_zps9bce482c.jpg

"What's the call? I'm down for a good fight always but I don't want to die today - I know you folks have that magical protection but me and my boys don't. And it sounds like they're not kidding about the crossbows. I've got my armor, but Gocklo and Mitchell will be down for the count before we can blink an eye." She grimaces. "Live to fight another day?"

The heroes are outgunned, outnumbered, and Kiray is without weapons! Will they surrender?

"Well that as nice of you, Oko," Kiray says, rubbing the growing bump on her skull. "Did anyone ever tell you that you're somewhat of a coward? Knocking a woman out like that."

She directs her gaze to Yu Shu, "And you said you couldn't trust people."

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"Please, you're a warrior. Don't pretend otherwise." He turns to the others. "Drop your weapons. Now."

"Betrayal, Oko? Really? And against your own sister, no less. Disgraceful. Pretzel was right, you can't trust anyone but your own these days. Well, not even them, evidently..."

He hesitantly drops his staff, sighing and shaking his head.

Edited by LordoftheNoobs

"This may be our only chance to get in," I hiss out of the corner of my mouth to Nerwen. "Drop our weapons or throw a Smoke Bomb? Attempt to fight?"

"Surely, you wouldn't part an old man from his walking stick," I say more loudly to buy time.

Oko strides forward and scoops up Grimwald's weapon.

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"No speeches, Grimwald. You hardly know what's happening. I've seen you fight, Monk. And laying down your weapons would be in your best interest. I can assure your safety. And my sister will survive just fine if she complies."

IMG_2318_zpsukcataij.jpg

"Don't make any promises for me, Oko."

Nerwen rises from where she was meditating.

She holds her hands out, empty, palms up.

Since you are taking us prisoner rather than simply killing us, you've an offer to make. Shall we go in and hear it?

"Please, you're a warrior. Don't pretend otherwise." He turns to the others. "Drop your weapons. Now."

"And you're an ugly deformed creature who holds no loyalty to family. Don't pretend otherwise."

Nerwen rises from where she was meditating.

She holds her hands out, empty, palms up.

Since you are taking us prisoner rather than simply killing us, you've an offer to make. Shall we go in and hear it?

IMG_2311_zpst3maxa1c.jpg

"There's always an offer!" chimes in the friendly looking knight in the back of their attackers. "The Order Imperial is looking to build a nation, not to kill all the others. We're uniters, not conquerers."

IMG_2318_zpsukcataij.jpg

"Sir Abel. I would ask you not to speak out of turn. Remember what got you transferred to under my leadership." She smiles sweetly at Yu Shu. "He was poisoned by the Freeport as well. He grew too tolerant of the darkness. Perhaps this sounds familiar. When it was decided he would be reassigned to reaffirm his conviction, I was more than happy to take him on."

"And you're an ugly deformed creature who holds no loyalty to family. Don't pretend otherwise."

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"Ugly and deformed," Oko chuckles. "I don't know about that. And I have the utmost loyalty to family. If you saw your brother or sister drowning, wouldn't you do your best to save them? In Terra Chima anyone may challenge the chief of a tribe. If the chief is defeated, there is no shame in the tribe for him. He was simply not serving where he could best serve. My sister will see that this is the same."

Nerwen says quietly to Yu Shu.

If the time comes, does your brother see justice or mercy?

IMG_2314_zpsenvy1dw3.jpg

"Justice."

The soldiers muscle forward and knock Pretzel around a little as they strip him of weapons and armor. Deborah and Gocklo turn over their weapons willingly... but Mitchell has to be shouted down, spitting and blubbering the whole time until finally Deborah strides forward and punches him in the cheek. He finally comes to his senses and surrenders his sword.

The heroes are led down the mountain and through the valley towards the mountain opposite. Its tall peaks are darkness, defined only by where the stars stop shining. Bella arrives at two enormous gates that swing open for her - apparently there are others watching some small slits in the fortress. The procession marches inside, and the gates slam shut. It is near dead dark inside, with a single moonbeam shooting through a small window to the side of the gate. Ahead of the heroes is a complete fortress - walls, a number of alley ways, some towers armed by dark shadows. It's clear that the Paladins built the fortress so that even if the front gate fell, it would be a gruesome and slow battle for any invading force.

IMG_2299_zpsvyor0tji.jpg

IMG_2318_zpsukcataij.jpg

"Beautiful, isn't it? Once the Order Imperial has united all the nations into the Nation of Light we will not need fortresses such as these any more. There will be no war. But until then..." Bella smiles cruelly. "I am happy to be the commander of one."