Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #127: A Light in the Darkness

"So your life and the lives of others is basically valueless to you? Would you object to someone killing you, assuming you were under no contract? It's important for me to know what I'm working with."

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

"Valueless? No. I value life, otherwise there would be joy in being able to take it. You asked if I preferred to be alive or dead or undead. I don't think preference has anything to do with that. Those things are as natural as, like I said, breathing. And I do not enjoy life or death or being undead. But while I am alive, I would like to do things that I enjoy - when I am dead, I will worry about what the dead enjoy or don't enjoy then. If someone could kill me, it would be an honor to die by their hand. But they would have to earn it. I wouldn't lie down. It's a question of respect."

You're welcome Nerwen replies to both Yu Shu and Marcellus.

Speaking to Avery she says,

I wasn't easy to kill you the first time around and now I imagine it would be harder still.

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

"I imagine it will be harder still. If I am not improving..." she trails off.

"Valueless? No. I value life, otherwise there would be joy in being able to take it. You asked if I preferred to be alive or dead or undead. I don't think preference has anything to do with that. Those things are as natural as, like I said, breathing. And I do not enjoy life or death or being undead. But while I am alive, I would like to do things that I enjoy - when I am dead, I will worry about what the dead enjoy or don't enjoy then. If someone could kill me, it would be an honor to die by their hand. But they would have to earn it. I wouldn't lie down. It's a question of respect."

"If you have receive no joy whatsoever from taking life then why did you make it your life's work? I also have to wonder how one can be so committed to a job that they receive no joy from. Surely there must be something in there for you?"

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

"I didn't say that I took no joy from it. If you won't listen, I won't talk. I already dislike it enough as it is, if it is just going to go in one ear and out the other than it won't be any fun for either of us." Avery slips away below deck. And indeed, it seems that most everyone is. The sun hangs low on the horizon. Yu Shu and Marcellus and most of the sailors make their way down, leaving only Oko and the heroes staring out at the sea. They can retire whenever they like.

"Umm...you said something along the lines of 'I value life, otherwise there would be joy in taking it.' I don't know how I'm supposed to understand that apart from that you get no joy in taking life. But I see the topic is wearisome to you. And, forgive my bluntness, but you are not exactly the most engaging of conversationalists, so perhaps I will spare us both the trouble."

I turn away from Avery and look to see the sea. Having had quite a number of sea voyages in my time in Heroica, I think back on my trip to Dastan in particular.

I should like to go there again sometime. It would be good to see how Retraga is doing. I doubt the infection was a recurring one as otherwise we would have heard from them again...

"Do either of you know of any quests that were heading to Dastan in recent months?" I ask of Nerwen and Kiray.

Nerwen steps over to the young knight.

And how did you end up at heroica?

"Me?" Kiray asks, snapped out of her thoughts. "It's not much of an interesting story. Lots of sadness, mainly. Some good times. My mother was killed a few years ago. It was a bloody sight. I was out at the market when it happened. I still don't know who killed her. Then a friend, close family friend that I had not seen in years, appeared and helped train me to fight with a sword, in case something like what happened to my mother would ever be meant for me. I didn't even recognize him we hadn't seen each other in years. After I was finished, he told me to go to Heroica and put my new skills to use. There was only so much he could teach me before he had to return to his homeland. I haven't seen him since he put me on the boat to go to Eubric. How about yourself, Nerwen?"

"Do either of you know of any quests that were heading to Dastan in recent months?" I ask of Nerwen and Kiray.

"To Dastan? I went a few months ago but it's been awhile since I went. From the news I've read, there's been some major things happening there. Good or bad, I'm not one to decide, but I think it's going to get a lot uglier before it gets better.

"It's a shame you were forced to leave, but at least you and your sister are still together. And yes, you get to travel too. That's the main reason I left my home."

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"Traditions of Terra Chima are often sneered at by the people of the Kingdoms and Eubric. But I think they are strong. We left, and we found our fortune. Who knows what would have happened if we had stayed there. Eubric doesn't have any traditions. It is a lawless system, with little respect for the mystery that is Olegaia." Oko takes out a fishing pole and begins to fish. He chuckles at himself. "But of course it is what it is. I don't mind. It will just take strong men to build a tradition there, a way to view the world and idea of purpose, good and bad, service, all that."

"To Dastan? I went a few months ago but it's been awhile since I went. From the news I've read, there's been some major things happening there. Good or bad, I'm not one to decide, but I think it's going to get a lot uglier before it gets better.

"Ah, did you encounter the Rito or any members of the Shadeaux clan? If so, did they speak of any dragon problems?"

Dastan? I was among the first heroes to go there, but I've not been back

Speaking to Kiray she says

I was in Eubric and at a loose end so I thought I'd join.

"Ah, did you encounter the Rito or any members of the Shadeaux clan? If so, did they speak of any dragon problems?"

"Oh there were all of those." Kiray recalls that time in Dastan. "I met the Rito. We didn't part on the best terms, them and I. The Shadeaux were actually the ones who contracted out the party I was in. We had to go attempt to bring back two dragon riders. It wasn't the happiest of endings for one of them. We even met some Pongcanis; I killed one named Tarban."

Dastan? I was among the first heroes to go there, but I've not been back

Speaking to Kiray she says

I was in Eubric and at a loose end so I thought I'd join.

"One doesn't exactly join Heroica on a whim."

"Oh there were all of those." Kiray recalls that time in Dastan. "I met the Rito. We didn't part on the best terms, them and I. The Shadeaux were actually the ones who contracted out the party I was in. We had to go attempt to bring back two dragon riders. It wasn't the happiest of endings for one of them. We even met some Pongcanis; I killed one named Tarban."

"The Rito? What did you do? I found them to be only very reasonable people. They even offered me to train with them, but I'm not quite sure if I'm ready for that. They use mainly spears, javelins, and the like and I've never used such weapons much. You didn't happen to hear of the great Dastanese dragon, Retraga, have you?

"Ah, the Pongcanis. Troublemakers! I just drove the great dread pirate, Indiacca off our shores. We won't be seeing him around for a while to be sure. It's just unfortunate that we did not kill him once and for all. Some of the knights we were with decided to monologue instead of just finishing him off and he escaped."

Nerwen's smile returns

One doesn't? Oh. Perhaps that's what I've been doing wrong then. But no, it was definitely a whim I joined on.

I take no offense though. She yawns, So I hope you'll excuse me, it is getting late, and Dastan is not an adventure I particularly want to relive.

Nerwen retires belowdecks.

The heroes follow Nerwen's lead and go to bed for the night.

The next day passes calmly. Yu Shu sits in the sun most of the day, a slight smile on her face. Marcellus and Avery keep mostly to themselves, and Oko continues to fish, catching a few and cooking them for his dinner.

As the sun begins to fall in the sky Oko gives a cry.

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"Look alive."

The heroes look over to see tentacles over the side of the ship! Avery and Marcellus are already there, weapons drawn, and Yu Shu pads forward confidently to stand alongside her brother. A fight is afoot!

IMG_2262_zps8rkwtqhp.jpg

Pre-Battle Rolls

Seal of the Warrior Priestess - 454 (No Buffs)

The Enemies

11263277055_db16c59547_t.jpg

Minor Tentacle A

Level 40 Aquatic *Immune to Stunned*

Health: 120/120

Special: Ticklish Squeeze – The target is made stunned.

Passive Special: Very Ticklish – On free hits, the Minor Tentacle also deals stunned.

Drops: 20 Gold

Minor Tentacle B

Passive Special: Very Ticklish – On free hits, the Minor Tentacle also deals stunned.

Minor Tentacle C

Minor Tentacle D

11263367703_bcaefe7b6b_t.jpg

Major Tentacle A

Level 60 Aquatic *Immune to Sealed, Blinded, Asleep and Enamored*

Health: 200/200

Special: Happy Dopey Sleepy Squeeze – The target is made sealed, blinded, asleep and enamored for 3 rounds.

Drops: Sushi (Restores 5 ether and 5 health)

Major Tentacle B

Special: Happy Dopey Sleepy Squeeze – The target is made sealed, blinded, asleep and enamored for 3 rounds.

Major Tentacle C

Strong Tentacle

Level 120 Aquatic *Immune to Negative Effects and Instant Kill*

Health: 290/290

SP: 20

Special: Strong as as Tentacle – The hero and the hero directly below them in the battle order become enraged, weakened and fragile.

Drops: Strong Wasabi (-2 Poisoned when applied to a weapon, permanently)

Serrated Tentacle

Level 100 Aquatic *Lucky* *Immune to Negative Effects and Instant Kill*

Health: 310/310

Special: Wild Blades – The tentacle sweeps across the deck, dealing -6 poisoned and -6 bleeding to the entire party.

Drops: Sharp Tip (-2 Bleeding when applied to a weapon, permanently)

The Party

15622016117_ba91eaa5d2_t.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)
*Party Leader*

264 year old female Elven Minstrel

Level 34 2/4 *2x XP**Counterstriking**immune to sealed* *Blessed*

Power bonus:
,+8
(quest #102)

Defence:
(Darksteel armor 3 +lesser etherial cloak 1)

Health:
52/52
(Base Cleric 9 +Level bonus 34 -Quest #102 5 +Minstrel Bonus 11 +3 Darksteel armour)

Ether:
47/47
(Base Cleric 5 +Level bonus 34 +Minstrel Bonus 4 +zoot cookie #102 1 +Lesser Etherial cloak 3)

Gold:

Equipment:
Nocturne Flute (WP:6, causes
asleep
-effect, instrument), Lesser etherial cloak (SP:1, Max. ether +3, immune to
sealed
; backwear), Medal of Valor (Double experience from battles; accessory), Counterstrike Gloves, Darksteel Armour (SP:6, Max. Health +3; bodywear),

Inventory:
Mutt's Flute (WP:10, inflicts
Weakened
-effect, instrument), Party Maracas (WP:4, user is
hastened
, instrument), Battered wooden flute (WP:6,
Darkness
-elemental), Sword of the Warrior of the Light (WP: 14,
Light
-Elemental, Meditate becomes hits, longsword), Mourning Star (WP: 10;
Fire
-elemental; inflicts
Fragile
-effect; mace), Bent Crowbar (WP: 8; 3x damage to Mechanic enemies; hammer), Axe of the Minotaur Champion (WP: 30; user is
Slowed
and Immune to
Hastened
; cannot be equipped at the same time as a shield; axe), longsword, Shield (SP: 5),

•
Helm of the Lord of Light (Headwear, Immunity to
Light
and
Jinxed
, Suitable for Knights), Sylvania's Cowl (Permits Animal Talk, Headwear), Nordic Stomach Guard (SP: 3, Immunity to
Ice
and
Water
, Bodywear, Suitable for Barbarians, Regulators, and Beast Warriors), Leather armour (SP:1; Bodywear),

•
Opal
(2),
Topaz
(2),
Diamond
Amethyst

•
Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Fragile, Scroll of Confusion,
(
Inspired
-effect to all allies for 10 ether, song),

•
Grand Tonics (3), Potions (7), Elixirs (2), Remedies (7), Nostrum, Tiger Balm, Essence of Sorrow (50% assassination chance on non-immune target), Venom (4), Fire Bomb, Ice Bombs (2), Lightning Bomb, Water Bombs (2), Dirt Bombs (2), Air Bomb, Bone, Milk (restores 15 HP and 15 Ether), Ether Core(2), Grand potion(2), Ambrosia (4), Health Core, Phoenix Essence (2), Red Death Blood (Once applied to a weapon the first successful hit deals doomed, consumable) (2), Neautralizers (2), Smelling Salts (4),

•
Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, Telescope

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

Avery the Red Assassin

Level 38 Assassin

Health: 49/49

Equipment: Red Assassin’s Dagger (WP: 10, Deals Cursed), Cape of the Red Assassin (Chance of Assassination 1/3)

Inventory: Light Throwing Knife (WP: 8, Light-Elemental, 1/3 to Deal Doomed), Dark Throwing Knife (WP: 8, Darkness-Elemental, 1/3 Chance to Deal Doomed), Smelling Salts

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

Yu Shu Enzima

Level 36 Paladin

Health: 56/56

SP: 16

Ether: 35/35

Equipment: Double Fanged Stave (WP: 12, Duel-Strike, Hero Hastened if not holding shield), Pegesus Shield (SP: 14, Immune to Slowed and Light Damage), Golden Helm (SP: 2, Immune to Afraid), Seal of the Warrior Priestess (At the beginning of the battle the user has a 1/6 chance to be Transcended, a 1/6 chance to be Blessed, and a 1/6 chance to be Inspired, Accessory, Suitable for Paladins)

Inventory: Phoenix Essence x2, Mead x2, Mulled Wine, Potion x2, Tonic, Military Grade Light Bomb x6, Military Grade Darkness Bomb x6

paladin_pretzel_2.jpg

Monk Pretzel and His 99 Pieces
, the Super Sleuth (Played by Palathadric)

463-year-old male "hermit" Artisan
*reinforced*
*Blessed*

Level:
32 1/4

Power:
32 + 7

Defense:

Health:
57/57
9 + 15 + 31 + 2*

Gold:

Equipment:
Dual Staff (WP: 7,
Ice
Lightning
Fire
Wind
Light
; dual strike; staff), Heavy Armour (SP:5, Immune to Fragile), Marauder’s Mantle (Grants permanent reinforced-effect; suitable to marauders; backwear), Armour of Dark Arts (Takes up: Bodywear, Handwear, Footwear slots; counts as one artifact; SP:10; Suitable to Knight classes, Dragoons, Skirmishers), Cloak of the Barbaric Runecaster (SP: 3; wearer creates and deploys a Skeleton Decoy at the start of every battle; suitable for Battle Mages, Necromancers, and Scholars; backwear)

Inventory:

Weapons and Shields:
Flying Cross (WP: 9,
Darkness
; broomstick), Splinter Broom (WP:8; broomstick; defies SP), Whip of Savage Overlords (WP: 9; â…™ chance of inflicting the Slowed-effect; Whip), Steak (WP: 1, instantly kills vampires on successful hits; suitable for all), Staff of the Necromancer (WP: 12; damages Undead; +1 Level to raised Undead; Staff), Soul Link Chain (Allows the user to pair up with another party member, each of them gaining all the effects that the other has. The partner has to equip the chain as well (ie. one chain can be shared by two people); accessory),

Artifacts:
Duplovian Helmet (SP:2, immune to Magic and Healing; headwear), Bumble Fanshirt (SP:1, Vermin with level less than half of the wearers are scared and won't directly attack the wearer; bodywear), Rock Gauntlets (Suitable for anyone, grants the wearer Iron Fist at no ether cost, handwear), Counterstrike Gloves (handwear), Soothing Slippers (meditation restores 5 ether; footwear), Magic Viper Skin (heals 1 health to wearer each round of battle unless knocked out; accessory), Shackles of War (accessory)

Gems:
2 Amethysts
Emerald
Garnet,
2 Aquamarines
Ruby

Scrolls:
Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blinding, Scroll of Arc Sleep

Consumables:
2 Potions, 13 Grand Potions, Cherry (Restores 1 ether), 4 Tonics, 2 Ether Cores, 7 Remedies, Neutralizer, Grand Elixir (Restores full health and ether to target and remedies all negative effects), 2 Phoenix Incenses, 5 Phoenix Essences, 3 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, 2 Nostrums, 5 Venoms, 5 Deadly Venoms, 2 Paralyzing Venoms, 2 Jinxy Juices, 3 Smoke Bombs, 2 Fire Bombs, Holy Bomb, Military Grade Fire Bomb, 2 Blind Bombs, 2 Seal Bombs, 2 Sleep Bombs, Demeter Bomb, 13 Bones, Raw Meat (+5 max. health upon consumption), Crimson Haze (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 7 and cursed effects permanently), Level-Up Mushroom

Tools:
Bedroll, Pickaxe, Magnifying Glass, Telescope, Shovel, Magic Compass, Magic Shovel (will always find something when used, limited to three uses per quest)

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

Oko Enzima

Level 32 Paladin *Immune to Darkness, Fire, Wind, Stunned, and Instant Death*

Health: 52/52

SP: 17

Ether: 32/32

Equipment: Single Fanged Stave (WP: 20), Two Fanged Orcish Shield (SP: 7, Immune to Darkness, Shield Bash replaces Meditate), Helm (SP: 2), Clan Enzima Armor (SP: 8, Immune to Fire, Wind, Stunned and Instant Death, Suitable to Enzimas)

Inventory: Mulled Wine x2, Mead x2, Ambrosia, Nostrum x2

IMG_2312_zpssvbvzicl.jpg

Marcellus

Level 25 Black Knight *Immune to Stunned and Blinded*

Health: 43/43

SP: 8

Equipment: Whip (WP: 16), Dark Knight Armor (SP:6, Immune to Stunned), Shield of the Red Lizard (SP: 2, Immune to
Blind
)

Inventory: Mead, Grand Potion x3

Grimwald Gjinko

8605602704_4e09abb709_t.jpg

69 year old male gnome Sage

Level:

Power Bonus:
+1 permanent, +5 spells

SP:

Health:
32/32

Ether:
28/28

Gold:
435 (Owed 38 by Benji)

Glory Points:

Equipment:
Magical Staff (WP:15; Staff), Spellbound Gloves (Increases the power of spells by 5, doubled if the enemy is weak to the element), Robes of the Disciple of Ennoc (+5 max. health, +5 max. ether, meditation restores 2 ether, body-wear)

Inventory:

• Spellbound hood (SP: 2, Increases the power of spells by 3, doubled if the enemy is weak to the element, headwear, suitable for Mages, Clerics and Necromancers), Strategist's Shako (+5 power while in the front row, +5 SP while in the back; headwear), Ethereal Cloak (SP:2, Max Ether +4; back wear)

• Shovel, Pickaxe, Bedroll

• Opal, Amethyst, Diamond, Topaz,
Garnet
Sapphire
Emerald
Aquamarine
Ruby

• Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Sleep

• Potion x7, Tonic x7, Grand Tonic x4, Sushi (restores 5 HP and 5 Ether) x2, Remedy x2, Elixir x4, Neutralizer, Phoenix Essence, Mead x4, Nostrum x3, Smelling Salts x4, Mulled Wine x2, Ambrosia, Bone x5, Ice Bomb, Root Beer (Restores 10 health, or can be used as a bomb against Undead enemies for 20 damage (Does not affect non-Undead enemies)), Plague Venom, Health Core, Neptune Bomb

kiray_cu.jpg

Kiray Nastayo (KingoftheZempk),
A Hero Who Is Actually Worth Something
*Absorbs
Water
Immune to
Fire

24 year old female human

Level 12.5 Knight

Power Bonus:

Defense:

Health:
20/20

Gold:

Equipment:
Smith’s Katana (WP:10,
Darkness
elemental), Fishy Scale Mail (SP: 6, wearer absorbs water-elemental damage as health, immune to
Fire;
suitable for knights, dragoons, skirmishers, and regulators, body wear), Mythril Shield (SP: 20), Cloak of Necrotic Shielding (SP:3, provides Special Guard against Undead enemies; back wear)

Inventory:

- x3 Potion, Banana (Restores full health when eaten), Remedy, 3x Nostrum, Ambrosia, 2x Mead, Smelling Salts, Mediocre Pongcanis Brew (Encouraged + Enraged), 5 Bones

- Bedroll, Everlasting Venom (Adds the poisoned by 10-effect to one weapon permanently), Dragon Scale, x3 Fire Bomb, x4 Venom

-Flameproof Armor (SP:1, no longer flameproof; bodywear, suitable for anyone), Inert Blade (Greatsword, WP 5)

Sanctified Rito Longsword (WP:6, doubled against Flying enemies; longsword), Orcish Barbed Shield (SP:11; shield), Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks), Shadeaux Mace (WP:9; deals fragile effect), Heavy Flail (WP: 5, causes fragile; mace), Anointed Gladius (WP: 8, damages Undead; great sword)

14799117372_21af2cc84a_t.jpg

Skeleton Decoy

Health: 20/20

I throw my Demeter Bomb from the back row.

"Plants! Plants I say!" :angry:

Kiray swallows past a lump in her throat. She attacks the Tentacle B from the front.

Kiray, Grimwald! If Pretzel throws that bomb, your targets fall. Do you want to try against the strong or serrated tentacles or will you sit back?

Miss Avery, even if I make everyone lucky, there's still a chance of damage. You can't survive a hit from either tentacle, so there is no shame in not attacking.

Yu Shu, Oko, that leaves a tentacle each for you, Oko, your armour gives you a little more protection in case of an accident, take the serrated tentacle please.

Marcellus, you can probably take the strong tentacle too.

Battle order

Pretzel v enemies -Demeter Bomb

Nerwen v enemies -Lucky Chant

Grimwald v no one -unless other order confirmed

Kiray v no one -unless other order confirmed

Avery v no one -unless Avery does otherwise!

> Yu Shu v strong tentacle -Dual Fanged Stave

> Marcellus v strong tentacle -Whip

> Ozo v serrated tentacle -Single Fanged Stave

Edited by Chromeknight

"I got it!" Kiray shouts as she instead attacks strong tentacle from the front.