Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #127: A Light in the Darkness

Nerwen returns the smile

There are few who can say they have seen a red assassin in action and lived to tell the tale.

Foutunately my friends this time are just as strong as last time. But then I have nothing to fear from you do I, Avery?

As it is I owe you an apology, we oughtn't've protected Thistlethorp. If you can be restored to life without being enslaved again to the red death, if I can help that come to pass I will.

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

"Nothing to fear," murmurs Avery, but it's impossible to tell if she's agreeing or simply repeating the phrase. "I don't feel the need to be alive again. There's no harm in being dead. I am what I am." And then she wanders away to the edge of the ship.

As Nerwen and Pretzel discuss lights and gods the sails of the ship unfurl and it slips out to see. Oko inhales deeply.

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"Good to be out to sea again. Too much time in that city would drive me mad. I don't know how you stand it, Yu Shu."

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"I couldn't coordinate the warrior priests if they didn't know where to find me. I do miss the adventure, though. We are all called to serve in different ways."

The waters are fair, and the heroes have little to worry about at the moment. They can take some time to relax, talk to their companions or each other, and prepare for what lies ahead.

My dear Monk, you have just agreed with me whilst trying to argue against. For if there are gods of light, if there is more than one God who lights then there are different lights, and if not every god is good to men, so not every light is good.

Even if you disagree with me and cling to the illusion of one God, either by denying the manifest power of the others or by positing them as puppets and masks of a deeper reality, yet you grant there are differing measures of lights, different lights. And if there are different lights, the onus is on you to show that all lights are good, a fact plainly refuted by experience.

Consider the deserts of Dastan. The noon sunlight there can kill, the natives there do not go out in it except swathed and protected from it. Is the naked sunlight unambiguously good? Consider the light thrown by the flames of a burning city, it's inhabitants piled in mounds or huddled in smoldering shells of houses. Is the firelight of destruction unambiguously good? Consider the glow on the tips of masts high in the northern seas before an approaching storm. Are such spirit lights not an omen of thunderstorms and violent weather, or do you say that Saint's fire* is unambiguously good?

What say you? How do you reason otherwise?

I sigh.

"Light, though distributed by different gods, is greater than those gods. Some would even call the light itself a God in its own right. Though I prefer to see the Lord of lights as the being who controls it and else with it. The light is not evil in any way it is given to us, but is only mean for our good. How we use it does not render it itself good or evil. The fire that is meant to prepare meat can equally be used to burn a house. The light in the sky from which all life is dependent can also be the end of life if the intended balance is not maintained. We can see light as evil if we look at the ways in which it can be used. But what it can be used for is not what it was created for. God, perhaps unfortunately, has given man the choice of whether to use His blessings for good or evil, but there are consequences to every choice, whether 'good' or 'bad.' Those who play with the blessings of God as if they were toys to be used for selfish purposes are bound to meet their end by those same blessings, just as one who plays with fire is bound to burn...ultimately. Still, that does not make the fire itself bad in any way."

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"I hand-picked Samuel and he turned his back on me. When people work in shadows, it is not possible to trust anyone but yourself. What good would hand picked sailors do us? But enough of that."

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

"I have always had a good time with heroes. It is nice to meet you, Kiray."

"Do you... know an assassin by the name of Diana? She's a close friend of mine and I haven't heard from her in awhile."

Kiray looks out at the water, hoping that a sea beast does not appear. She had enough of sea monsters and flying monsters to last her for a few months.

If all the gods are but masks of the one god, then what distinction is left? You cannot say it is better to worship Ennoc than Azazot, since either is but different roads to the same end.

But we are going in circles. I posited that light was sometimes good and sometimes bad for men. You responded by first saying that light was always good, and now by saying that light, in and of itself, is neither good nor bad, but only men's use makes it so, which is essentially my point, that you objected to, restated.

"Everything that comes from God is good. One can use it destructively, but that does not make it bad. Light is good in the way that without it life would cease to exist. If man were to do nothing with it, it would be a benefit to mankind. Man can use it to create other goods or create evil, but it of itself is good and only brings growth.

"All gods are servants of the greater God, not all are obedient servants though."

Grimwald sniffs the air, closing his eyes and smiling. "Ah, sea air - nothing beats it."

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"Travel often?"

"Do you... know an assassin by the name of Diana? She's a close friend of mine and I haven't heard from her in awhile."

Kiray looks out at the water, hoping that a sea beast does not appear. She had enough of sea monsters and flying monsters to last her for a few months.

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

"I do not know her," states Avery.

OoC: Kiray, you cannot equip the cloak of necromatic shielding because you have too many artifacts on.

The Party

15622016117_ba91eaa5d2_t.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)
*Party Leader*

264 year old female Elven Minstrel

Level 34 2/4 *2x XP**Counterstriking**immune to sealed* *Blessed*

Power bonus:
,+8
(quest #102)

Defence:
(Leather armour 1 +lesser etherial cloak 1)

Health:
49/49
(Base Cleric 9 +Level bonus 34 -Quest #102 5 +Minstrel Bonus 11)

Ether:
47/47
(Base Cleric 5 +Level bonus 34 +Minstrel Bonus 4 +zoot cookie #102 1 +Lesser Etherial cloak 3)

Gold:

Equipment:
Nocturne Flute (WP:6, causes
asleep
-effect, instrument), Lesser etherial cloak (SP:1, Max. ether +3, immune to
sealed
; backwear), Leather armour (SP:1; Bodywear), Medal of Valor (Double experience from battles; accessory), Counterstrike Gloves.

Inventory:
Mutt's Flute (WP:10, inflicts
Weakened
-effect, instrument), Party Maracas (WP:4, user is
hastened
, instrument), Battered wooden flute (WP:6,
Darkness
-elemental), Sword of the Warrior of the Light (WP: 14,
Light
-Elemental, Meditate becomes hits, longsword), Mourning Star (WP: 10;
Fire
-elemental; inflicts
Fragile
-effect; mace), Bent Crowbar (WP: 8; 3x damage to Mechanic enemies; hammer), Axe of the Minotaur Champion (WP: 30; user is
Slowed
and Immune to
Hastened
; cannot be equipped at the same time as a shield; axe), longsword, Shield of the Red Lizard (SP: 2, Immune to
Blind
), Shield (SP: 5),

•
Seal of the Warrior Priestess (At the beginning of the battle the user has a 1/6 chance to be Transcended, a 1/6 chance to be Blessed, and a 1/6 chance to be Inspired, Accessory, Suitable for Paladins), Helm of the Lord of Light (Headwear, Immunity to
Light
and
Jinxed
, Suitable for Knights), Sylvania's Cowl (Permits Animal Talk, Headwear), Nordic Stomach Guard (SP: 3, Immunity to
Ice
and
Water
, Bodywear, Suitable for Barbarians, Regulators, and Beast Warriors), Darksteel Armour (SP:6, Max. Health +3; bodywear),

•
Opal
(2),
Topaz
(2),
Diamond
Amethyst

•
Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Fragile, Scroll of Confusion,
(
Inspired
-effect to all allies for 10 ether, song),

•
Grand Tonics (3), Potions (7), Elixirs (2), Remedies (7), Nostrum, Tiger Balm, Essence of Sorrow (50% assassination chance on non-immune target), Venom (4), Fire Bomb, Ice Bombs (2), Lightning Bomb, Water Bombs (2), Dirt Bombs (2), Air Bomb, Bone, Milk (restores 15 HP and 15 Ether), Ether Core(2), Grand potion(2), Ambrosia (4), Health Core, Phoenix essence, Red Death Blood (Once applied to a weapon the first successful hit deals doomed, consumable) (2)

•
Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, Telescope

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

Avery the Red Assassin

Level 38 Assassin

Health: 49/49

Equipment: Red Assassin’s Dagger (WP: 10, Deals Cursed), Cape of the Red Assassin (Chance of Assassination 1/3)

Inventory: Light Throwing Knife (WP: 8, Light-Elemental, 1/3 to Deal Doomed), Dark Throwing Knife (WP: 8, Darkness-Elemental, 1/3 Chance to Deal Doomed), Smelling Salts

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

Yu Shu Enzima

Level 36 Paladin

Health: 56/56

SP: 16

Ether: 35/35

Equipment: Double Fanged Stave (WP: 12, Duel-Strike, Hero Hastened if not holding shield), Pegesus Shield (SP: 14, Immune to Slowed and Light Damage), Golden Helm (SP: 2, Immune to Afraid)

Inventory: Phoenix Essence x2, Mead x2, Mulled Wine, Potion x2, Tonic, Military Grade Light Bomb x6, Military Grade Darkness Bomb x6

paladin_pretzel_2.jpg

Monk Pretzel and His 99 Pieces
, the Super Sleuth (Played by Palathadric)

463-year-old male "hermit" Artisan
*reinforced*
*Blessed*

Level:
32 1/4

Power:
32 + 7

Defense:

Health:
57/57
9 + 15 + 31 + 2*

Gold:

Equipment:
Dual Staff (WP: 7,
Ice
Lightning
Fire
Wind
Light
; dual strike; staff), Heavy Armour (SP:5, Immune to Fragile), Marauder’s Mantle (Grants permanent reinforced-effect; suitable to marauders; backwear), Armour of Dark Arts (Takes up: Bodywear, Handwear, Footwear slots; counts as one artifact; SP:10; Suitable to Knight classes, Dragoons, Skirmishers), Cloak of the Barbaric Runecaster (SP: 3; wearer creates and deploys a Skeleton Decoy at the start of every battle; suitable for Battle Mages, Necromancers, and Scholars; backwear)

Inventory:

Weapons and Shields:
Flying Cross (WP: 9,
Darkness
; broomstick), Splinter Broom (WP:8; broomstick; defies SP), Whip of Savage Overlords (WP: 9; â…™ chance of inflicting the Slowed-effect; Whip), Steak (WP: 1, instantly kills vampires on successful hits; suitable for all), Staff of the Necromancer (WP: 12; damages Undead; +1 Level to raised Undead; Staff), Soul Link Chain (Allows the user to pair up with another party member, each of them gaining all the effects that the other has. The partner has to equip the chain as well (ie. one chain can be shared by two people); accessory),

Artifacts:
Duplovian Helmet (SP:2, immune to Magic and Healing; headwear), Bumble Fanshirt (SP:1, Vermin with level less than half of the wearers are scared and won't directly attack the wearer; bodywear), Rock Gauntlets (Suitable for anyone, grants the wearer Iron Fist at no ether cost, handwear), Counterstrike Gloves (handwear), Soothing Slippers (meditation restores 5 ether; footwear), Magic Viper Skin (heals 1 health to wearer each round of battle unless knocked out; accessory), Shackles of War (accessory)

Gems:
2 Amethysts
Emerald
Garnet,
2 Aquamarines
Ruby

Scrolls:
Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blinding, Scroll of Arc Sleep

Consumables:
2 Potions, 13 Grand Potions, Cherry (Restores 1 ether), 4 Tonics, 2 Ether Cores, 7 Remedies, Neutralizer, Grand Elixir (Restores full health and ether to target and remedies all negative effects), 2 Phoenix Incenses, 5 Phoenix Essences, 3 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, 2 Nostrums, 5 Venoms, 5 Deadly Venoms, 2 Paralyzing Venoms, 2 Jinxy Juices, 3 Smoke Bombs, 2 Fire Bombs, Holy Bomb, Military Grade Fire Bomb, 2 Blind Bombs, 2 Seal Bombs, 2 Sleep Bombs, Demeter Bomb, 13 Bones, Raw Meat (+5 max. health upon consumption), Crimson Haze (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 7 and cursed effects permanently), Level-Up Mushroom

Tools:
Bedroll, Pickaxe, Magnifying Glass, Telescope, Shovel, Magic Compass, Magic Shovel (will always find something when used, limited to three uses per quest)

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

Oko Enzima

Level 32 Paladin *Immune to Darkness, Fire, Wind, Stunned, and Instant Death*

Health: 52/52

SP: 17

Ether: 32/32

Equipment: Single Fanged Stave (WP: 20), Two Fanged Orcish Shield (SP: 7, Immune to Darkness, Shield Bash replaces Meditate), Helm (SP: 2), Clan Enzima Armor (SP: 8, Immune to Fire, Wind, Stunned and Instant Death, Suitable to Enzimas)

Inventory: Mulled Wine x2, Mead x2, Ambrosia, Nostrum x2

IMG_2312_zpssvbvzicl.jpg

Marcellus

Level 25 Black Knight *Immune to Stunned*

Health: 43/43

SP: 6

Equipment: Whip (WP: 16), Dark Knight Armor (SP:6, Immune to Stunned)

Inventory: Mead, Grand Potion x3

Grimwald Gjinko

8605602704_4e09abb709_t.jpg

69 year old male gnome Sage

Level:

Power Bonus:
+1 permanent, +5 spells

SP:

Health:
32/32

Ether:
28/28

Gold:
435 (Owed 38 by Benji)

Glory Points:

Equipment:
Magical Staff (WP:15; Staff), Spellbound Gloves (Increases the power of spells by 5, doubled if the enemy is weak to the element), Robes of the Disciple of Ennoc (+5 max. health, +5 max. ether, meditation restores 2 ether, body-wear)

Inventory:

• Spellbound hood (SP: 2, Increases the power of spells by 3, doubled if the enemy is weak to the element, headwear, suitable for Mages, Clerics and Necromancers), Strategist's Shako (+5 power while in the front row, +5 SP while in the back; headwear), Ethereal Cloak (SP:2, Max Ether +4; back wear)

• Shovel, Pickaxe, Bedroll

• Opal, Amethyst, Diamond, Topaz,
Garnet
Sapphire
Emerald
Aquamarine
Ruby

• Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Sleep

• Potion x7, Tonic x7, Grand Tonic x4, Sushi (restores 5 HP and 5 Ether) x2, Remedy x2, Elixir x4, Neutralizer, Phoenix Essence, Mead x4, Nostrum x3, Smelling Salts x4, Mulled Wine x2, Ambrosia, Bone x5, Ice Bomb, Root Beer (Restores 10 health, or can be used as a bomb against Undead enemies for 20 damage (Does not affect non-Undead enemies)), Plague Venom, Health Core, Neptune Bomb

kiray_cu.jpg

Kiray Nastayo (KingoftheZempk),
A Hero Who Is Actually Worth Something
*Absorbs
Water
Immune to
Fire

24 year old female human

Level 12.5 Knight

Power Bonus:

Defense:

Health:
20/20

Gold:

Equipment:
Smith’s Katana (WP:10,
Darkness
elemental), Fishy Scale Mail (SP: 6, wearer absorbs water-elemental damage as health, immune to
Fire;
suitable for knights, dragoons, skirmishers, and regulators, body wear), Mythril Shield (SP: 20),

Inventory:

- x3 Potion, Banana (Restores full health when eaten), Remedy, 3x Nostrum, Ambrosia, 2x Mead, Smelling Salts, Mediocre Pongcanis Brew (Encouraged + Enraged), 5 Bones

- Bedroll, Everlasting Venom (Adds the poisoned by 10-effect to one weapon permanently), Dragon Scale, x3 Fire Bomb, x4 Venom

-Flameproof Armor (SP:1, no longer flameproof; bodywear, suitable for anyone), Inert Blade (Greatsword, WP 5)

Sanctified Rito Longsword (WP:6, doubled against Flying enemies; longsword), Orcish Barbed Shield (SP:11; shield), Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks)
[/color]
Shadeaux Mace (WP:9; deals fragile effect), Heavy Flail (WP: 5, causes fragile; mace), Anointed Gladius (WP: 8, damages Undead; great sword), Cloak of Necrotic Shielding (SP:3, provides Special Guard against Undead enemies; back wear)

OOC: I thought you could equip two artefacts at Level 10 and the Fishy Scale Mail counts as one, or so I believe.

"May I ask why you're so... terse, Avery?"

OoC: You're right of course. Sorry, was losing my mind a little after re-organizing all the artifacts, I must have mistaken the shield for an artifact.

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

"Terse?" asks Avery, staring into the churning waves below them. "I didn't know I was terse." She smiles dreamily. "I have some joys in life. They've been... muted since my death. But I still enjoy things. Conversation is not one of them, is all. The Red Assassins lead a life mostly alone. It is fitting for me. Even fewer people approach me now that I look like this. Thistlethorp did me a favor."

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

"We killed him. That's what I was sent there to do, so I did it. I hated him then, too. For using me against my will." She takes out her knife and starts flipping and catching it. "So we killed him."

Kiray studies Avery with a concerned look. She moves to Pretzel and whispers, "Not that I don't trust this woman, but are you sure she's the right fit for this?"

Grimwald turns to Oko. "Travel? Not so much anymore, but I did a lot in my youth. Part of the reason I joined Heroica was to travel more, actually. I especially love it out here on the water."

"We killed him. That's what I was sent there to do, so I did it. I hated him then, too. For using me against my will." She takes out her knife and starts flipping and catching it. "So we killed him."

I nod.

"Good. Good," I say hesitantly.

She moves to Pretzel and whispers, "Not that I don't trust this woman, but are you sure she's the right fit for this?"

"I have no idea," I whisper back. "It seems to me that Nerwen knows her better than I, but she does seem a rather strange choice."

I turn back to Avery.

"Pardon me asking, but you mentioned that you died. How is that you now live as the ashen-faced woman you are. Is it by necromancy?"

Grimwald turns to Oko. "Travel? Not so much anymore, but I did a lot in my youth. Part of the reason I joined Heroica was to travel more, actually. I especially love it out here on the water."

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"Yes." Oko stares out at the waves. "I feel compelled often to travel. The sea is a great friend. It is always changing, but always the same." He smiles tightly. "Where did you grow up, Grimwald? The places we are reared stick with us the rest of our lives. It is good to know those you're going into combat with."

"Pardon me asking, but you mentioned that you died. How is that you now live as the ashen-faced woman you are. Is it by necromancy?"

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

"That was also Thistlethorp's doing, and the Red Death's. He brought me back, and he and the Red Death sustain me now. I believe when he death I should have as well, but I didn't. The Red Death almost ended my life then as well, but it couldn't. I don't know why I survived. I hardly understand magic at all."

"That was also Thistlethorp's doing, and the Red Death's. He brought me back, and he and the Red Death sustain me now. I believe when he death I should have as well, but I didn't. The Red Death almost ended my life then as well, but it couldn't. I don't know why I survived. I hardly understand magic at all."

"It is most strange I have to say. I don't know if I'm almost ever seen someone in such a state...it is most worrisome. Tell me, do you enjoy living? ...At least any more than before?"

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

"Enjoy living?" murmurs Avery, but then the steel that must have once been her voice pops up: "That's a silly question. Enjoy living. Do you enjoy breathing? Do you enjoy Olegaia? How can you enjoy something that simply is? I don't dislike or like living, I like bits of it and dislike other bits."

"Enjoy living?" murmurs Avery, but then the steel that must have once been her voice pops up: "That's a silly question. Enjoy living. Do you enjoy breathing? Do you enjoy Olegaia? How can you enjoy something that simply is? I don't dislike or like living, I like bits of it and dislike other bits."

"You can enjoy things that simply are. Looking at the sights of the world, of people. Of course there are things to dislike, but you can do things. How could you not enjoy that?"

"That's a silly question. Enjoy living. Do you enjoy breathing? Do you enjoy Olegaia? How can you enjoy something that simply is? I don't dislike or like living, I like bits of it and dislike other bits."

"How does one not enjoy breathing I have to wonder? Would you prefer to not exist physically than to do so?"

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

"Whats all this talk about preference? Would I prefer to be alive or dead or non-existent? When I'm alive, I'm alive, when I'm dead, I'll be dead. What good would preference do? When I was breathing, I was breathing. Now that I'm not, I'm not. I assume life and death will be similar."

"I grew up in a small forest village, by the coast of Drandora. I miss the place sometimes, but Heroica is where I belong now, I feel. Where was it you said you were from again, Oko?"

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"I grew up in Terra Chima. My father hails from there. My mother was a member of the Brotherhood of Chi. She travelled to Terra Chima, married my father, and left the brotherhood. Terra Chima has a great history and tradition. My sister and I were born twins, which is both a blessing and a curse. Twins in Terra Chima are bad luck if they remain within the territory. We were raised by our parents, but at only sixteen years we were forced to leave the tribe to seek our own fortune. My mother protested it, but that was the tribe's belief. Twins will receive great acclaim, but only if they seek their fortunes elsewhere. We have clearly found a fortune we would not have had if we were not forced out of the tribe. Maybe that's why I have such a penchant for travel."

"Whats all this talk about preference? Would I prefer to be alive or dead or non-existent? When I'm alive, I'm alive, when I'm dead, I'll be dead. What good would preference do? When I was breathing, I was breathing. Now that I'm not, I'm not. I assume life and death will be similar."

"So I'm guessing if you don't need to breathe, you don't need to eat and all of that 'nonsense.' Interesting...

"Why do you do what you do or anything at all for that matter?"

Seeing the conversation had moved on from lights and gods, Nerwen turns her attention to her equipment.

She swaps the leather armour for the darksteel armour and offers the Seal of the warrior priestess to Yu Shu.

Raguel gave this to me and though I no longer walk the path of Paladin, I have't discarded it in memory of him. But I'll lend it where needed, and you'll benefit from its blessing.

She also offers Marcellus choice of her shields.

You can use this plain shield or the weaker on with immunity to blind.

"So I'm guessing if you don't need to breathe, you don't need to eat and all of that 'nonsense.' Interesting...

"Why do you do what you do or anything at all for that matter?"

IMG_2137_zps15182d0c.jpg

"No, I don't have to eat or drink. I can still taste, however. I like good cheese." She faintly smiles. "I am an assassin because that's what I did when I was alive. But I'm sure you mean why do anything ever. Perhaps for no reason. Maybe I just do things because that is what I was told to do." She shrugs. "I enjoy... not killing. That isn't the word for it. I enjoy... the art of the hunt. When your prey is smart. I never kill out of contract, but when I get a contract for someone who a... force. I respect them. And know that I've killed them, and maybe that no one else could have." She turns to the Monk, her face blank once more. "Is my interrogation over?"

Seeing the conversation had moved on from lights and gods, Nerwen turns her attention to her equipment.

She swaps the leather armour for the darksteel armour and offers the Seal of the warrior priestess to Yu Shu.

Raguel gave this to me and though I no longer walk the path of Paladin, I have't discarded it in memory of him. But I'll lend it where needed, and you'll benefit from its blessing.

She also offers Marcellus choice of her shields.

You can use this plain shield or the weaker on with immunity to blind.

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"Thanks." Yu Shu accepts the seal. "We only give them to Warrior Priests going deep into dangerous territories where their credentials might be questioned. Being in Eubric so often I don't need one."

IMG_2312_zpssvbvzicl.jpg

"I'll take the one that protects from blinding," says Marcellus, snatching at the shield. He admires it briefly, scowling until he is sure that it is well made. After wrapping on it twice and nodding appreciatively, he turns to Nerwen. "Thank you for this."