ScotNick

WIP: Ivatt Atlantic

I don't post very often here, but just recently I've finished my design of the GNR C1 engine. I've been wanting to build this engine since many many years, because she is beautiful: she is neither a giant nor a small shunter, but still she pulled expresses like the Flying Scotsman.

When I joined the forums about 2 years ago I showed a pic of my first take on the C1 in LDD. Back then she looked like this:

4-4-2n.png

I don't know if you remember, but some of you wanted to see more pics. As I'm a perfectionist when building with bricks I have been redesigning this model many times to get the right look. I was never happy with my redesigns, so I just kept changing bits. Eventually I got a pretty decent result:

16254173960_7a37aa8107_b.jpg

I redid the tender with inspiration from from Carl Greatrix's Dean Single, therefore the tender now uses BBB medium wheels.drivers. The large driving wheels will be blind BBB XL drivers. I tried it with the flanged drivers first, but with them come many problems. e.g. I can't hide them under the splashers anymore. The valve gear might look like it won't work, but I've tried this out and it works.

One thing I learned from this is that you have to keep improving your model when you're not happy with it.

I don't know whether I want to power her or not, but IF I power her, I'll probably put an M-motor in the boiler and power all the wheels, but that remains to be tested in real life :)

Comments and constructive criticism are welcome!!!

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by ScotNick

Very nice work. It's very accurate but at the same time very clean and 'simple'. Is it parts/colour availability or just personal taste that's had you choose dark green? It certainly looks better generally, I think, for trains (a bit classier perhaps) but the lighter green I would say is probably a closer colour to old GNR/LNER liveries.

Edited by Srbandrews

Very nice work. It's very accurate but at the same time very clean and 'simple'. Is it parts/colour availability or just personal taste that's had you choose dark green? It certainly looks better generally, I think, for trains (a bit classier perhaps) but the lighter green I would say is probably a closer colour to old GNR/LNER liveries.

Thanks!

It's as clean as it is because the prototype is that clean too :laugh:

The problem is there are many pictures which are underexposed which makes the colour appear darker, like this

4930155115_2866fff3b6_n.jpg

, but then there are also pictures like this

12767333813_fd344f79a3_n.jpg

So it's hard to me to find the correct colour, although I think this picture is the closest in terms of colour

15197823087_fa4a538b7f_n.jpg

But then Lego's green is too bright. What I think is that Lego's normal green can't do justice to the elegant green used on many British steamers. Therefore I decided on using Lego's dark green, as it keeps the elegant look. The best choice is in the middle, but that's not possible. Also the dark green looks much darker on the render than it will in real life.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Edited by ScotNick

Looks really good. My only question is how stable is the loco with only the front bogie and rear axle for guidance?

This is a nice model. The boiler looked a bit large to me, compared to reference photos, but then I realized there were "large" and "small" boiler versions of this loco.

It's sometimes annoying that the Big Ben Bricks XL drivers don't come in more colors, since green ones would suit this model nicely. I sympathize with the green issue, as I encountered it while building No 2096. I wound up going with the normal green due to the wider variety of parts available, but it looks like that's not a problem for you here.

Classy. I look forward to seeing it in the brick!

Oh wow, while I like the original already, the update is even nicer. Lots of great detailing- the rim around the tender, the stack (is that a small train wheel?), the simple yet very convincing smokebox door, all sorts of goodness. So no suggested changes.

I'd be curious to see what is at the cylinder end of the valve gear.

Very nice update to an already beautiful model! :thumbup:

I've the same question of Redimus: how the locomotive works with the BBB XL blind wheels? Is the rear axle attached to the main body of the locomotive?

Thanks for the comments guys! :classic:

This is a nice model. The boiler looked a bit large to me, compared to reference photos, but then I realized there were "large" and "small" boiler versions of this loco.

It's sometimes annoying that the Big Ben Bricks XL drivers don't come in more colors, since green ones would suit this model nicely. I sympathize with the green issue, as I encountered it while building No 2096. I wound up going with the normal green due to the wider variety of parts available, but it looks like that's not a problem for you here.

Classy. I look forward to seeing it in the brick!

Yeah, a pity many parts aren't available in some rare colours, but that's the fun of building with Lego, right? :grin:

But you're right about Big Ben Brick's limited colour variety, but I think the black wheels fit nicely as well.

Nice train. How did you do the funnel

It's just a regular RC wheel on some stacked 2x2 round plates.

Looks really good. My only question is how stable is the loco with only the front bogie and rear axle for guidance?

Very nice update to an already beautiful model! :thumbup:

I've the same question of Redimus: how the locomotive works with the BBB XL blind wheels? Is the rear axle attached to the main body of the locomotive?

Hahaha that's my big question as well :laugh: I have no idea how it will turn out to be, but first I'll have to do some testing.

I want to at least try to have the weight of the locomotive supported by the large drivers but guided by the trailing wheels. I know nobody has done that before, but it might work if I move the pivoting point of the trailing wheels as close to the drivers as possible. I really really want that to work out :wink:

If it doesn't work out I'll have to make the drivers "float" over the rails by just a millimeter and fix the rear trailing wheel to the body. Then the driving behavior of the engine will be just like that of a bogie coach.

Oh wow, while I like the original already, the update is even nicer. Lots of great detailing- the rim around the tender, the stack (is that a small train wheel?), the simple yet very convincing smokebox door, all sorts of goodness. So no suggested changes.

I'd be curious to see what is at the cylinder end of the valve gear.

Oh yes, the stack is a small train wheel :sweet: .

Sorry you can't see it on the shown image, here is a close-up of the valve gear:

ivatt_atlantic_c1_-_copy.png

It looks like it won't work but I've tried it out with real bricks on an earlier prototype and it works.

Hahaha that's my big question as well :laugh: I have no idea how it will turn out to be, but first I'll have to do some testing.

I want to at least try to have the weight of the locomotive supported by the large drivers but guided by the trailing wheels. I know nobody has done that before, but it might work if I move the pivoting point of the trailing wheels as close to the drivers as possible. I really really want that to work out :wink:

If it doesn't work out I'll have to make the drivers "float" over the rails by just a millimeter and fix the rear trailing wheel to the body. Then the driving behavior of the engine will be just like that of a bogie coach.

Hmm. If that doesn't work, maybe you could try making the frames narrower (2 studs wide, side to side) then include an extra set of flangless driving wheels behind the first ones, effectively giving you 2 stud wide driving wheels to (hopefully) allow more chance of them supporting the weight.

Edited by Redimus

Here's a bit of ancient history from before BBB wheels and many of the parts our boilers now take for granted...

7pacific4-6-2.jpg_thumb.jpg

Sorry you can't see it on the shown image, here is a close-up of the valve gear:

It looks like it won't work but I've tried it out with real bricks on an earlier prototype and it works.

So which piece slides? The rod into the technic or the robot hand on the rod?

Sorry to bump this old thread of mine!

It has been a long time I since I started this topic and I haven't been very active here lately, but I thought you might be interested in what I've built so far as I've now collected most of the parts.

34305063205_5528db9116_b.jpgAtlantic wip by ScotNick1, on Flickr

I'll still do some changes, the tender is still missing some parts. I'm quite happy with the engine now, will use stickers to cover the splashers a little bit though.

Edited by ScotNick