Hinckley

10246 Detective's Office

Um, so to sorta derail the hostility train...

I picked up a copy of DO at my local LEGO store on the 1st. Haven't built it yet, partly because I'm thinking of mirroring each side like I did with Pet Shop. There, I ended up with a really cool residential building, and a large pet store that I'm still modding. I like the potential for the Highlander, with a double door entrance, a bar near the pool table, and a large office for Ace (or maybe a sassy, competing female detective next door?). Not sure how well Al's will expand with the alley, but hey, it's LEGO so it'll work eventually.

Anyone else want to buy multiple sets and mirror expand like that?

I've got an additional two that I'm going to combine. First floor is all pool hall with at least two tables. Second floor is the detective agency and his residence. I have no idea what the third floor will be or how it will look as it will be 100% MOC. Barber shop and all the blue bricks go in the parts bins.

Edited by Off the wall

hmm...isn't this a discussion board where folks can post their opinion's about a set or a line? thought so...there are several posts I disagree with, but you have to let it go, who cares what you post as long as you are participating...stated opinions are better than "I like it" which I have seen a lot as well, what is the point of "I like it". Only by analyzing and building can one figure out how to get TLG to make a better product for us all.

That said, I find it interesting that PS, which has less pieces and a lower price, is heavier than the newer ones with more piece counts and a higher price.

DO - 4 lbs 4 oz 2262 pieces $160

PR - 4 lbs 2 oz 2469 pieces $160

PS - 4 lbs 13 oz 2032 pieces $150

To me, this implies smaller pieces for a higher price...which is interesting now that the price of oil is down, and since oil is a key content to make plastic, will the prices of Lego fall in the future? I hope so.

Sounds very similar to what I had envisioned, Off the wall! I hope you'll post a picture of it at some point; it'll help me decide if I should go ahead with another one!

Can't wait to see these modifications! The DO is crying out for a proper bar, IMO.

Me too! As soon as I finished the Highlander I wanted to make it larger and have a real bar. Can't wait to see what the more talented people here can do with it.

Me too! As soon as I finished the Highlander I wanted to make it larger and have a real bar. Can't wait to see what the more talented people here can do with it.

A bar á la Restaurant Parisienne....?

12037922464_21d3878030_z.jpg

Edited by LegoSjaak

Measured weights with kitchen scale (American so in Pounds & Ounces)

DO - 4 lbs 4 oz

PR - 4 lbs 2 oz

Pet Shop House - 2 lbs 6 oz

Pet Shop Shop - 2 lbs 7 oz

PS (total) - 4 lbs 13 oz

These weights were with all the mini figures included in the set but for the PR not with the scooter

Thanks for posting! :classic:

That said, I find it interesting that PS, which has less pieces and a lower price, is heavier than the newer ones with more piece counts and a higher price.

To me, this implies smaller pieces for a higher price...which is interesting now that the price of oil is down, and since oil is a key content to make plastic, will the prices of Lego fall in the future? I hope so.

Yep, that's what it boils down to. I would've expected the DO to be slightly lighter than PR, but I suspected a huge difference between it and the older modulars. More small pieces for details inside at the cost of large bricks to build walls. And - I know I've said this before - DO hardly offers any large bricks. a couple of 1x6 in tan, and that's pretty much it. The blue side is made entirely out of 1x2 and 1x4 bricks, so it propably could've been built using about 2/3rd its number of bricks if they had just used 1x6 and 1x8s were applicable, as they did in the older modulars.That would have had a minor impact on the weight, but would'v brought the piece count down by a couple dozen more.

I am a rare bird that actually reads and enjoys all the opinions expressed here, not just the latest couple and ignoring the rest previously posted. I get a lot of ideas I haven't thought of myself and love to read the yay's and nay's about different sets. Cheers.

I noticed also the small parts leaning too. I think it has a lot to do with the availability of the colors used, most are just in the 1x2 to 1x4 sizes. Plus the jumper plate usage kind of dictates that anyway.

I also am on the expansion bandwagon, and was thinking of having the detective's office have an outer, secretary's office. I think nearly all the noir detective movies had that kind of set up.

^

talos.....welcome to the expansion bandwagon. It's kind of funny, the more I dislike a modular, the more copies of it I seem to buy in my attempt to make it something that I want.

Currently I have completed one DO, have the parts from two on the work bench.

Edit.....think I can make what I want with only two.

Edited by Off the wall

Yeah, I knew that I would immediately be expanding the DO. Just threw on an extra floor to the detective's building w using some spare pieces I had laying around. Still not sure if this will be final but I feel it looks a bit more complete. I apologize in advance for the crappy cell phone picture.

5F313316-9732-4D99-8FD1-27C8FDC6DF72.jpg

Yeah, I knew that I would immediately be expanding the DO. Just threw on an extra floor to the detective's building w using some spare pieces I had laying around. Still not sure if this will be final but I feel it looks a bit more complete. I apologize in advance for the crappy cell phone picture.

Wow! That is a great improvement! I think it is a pitty that the left side of DO is so low. The building alone looks perfect but beside the other modulars it just looks to small. I don't mind that the PR has a lower part because it fits perfectly beside the MS (I also modded the roof of MS to make a bigger outside dining area). But your modification makes so much more sense. Now you can have a full apartment above the office and it fits the hight of the other modulars much better.

:thumbup:

Nice job, your photo of the 3 level DO side, making it the taller of the two is much better composition of the DO set, to me. I want to do the same now! haha...

What color is the top level? It looks like the dark tan color? Instead of the med. dark flesh color used on the original? Or is the photo causing the difference?

What has been bothering the Engineer in me is that the water tower is on the lower roof. It really needs to be on the highest point else the top floor of the blue building would have no water.

What has been bothering the Engineer in me is that the water tower is on the lower roof. It really needs to be on the highest point else the top floor of the blue building would have no water.

I've called in a plumber and my mod will have full access to city water and sewer. The tower is gone. But, that is a good point you bring up.

So right, that situation is right there with the other sets I have that have a chimney right above a large window! An example, the 'Seaside House' (7346). :-) We are too much realists!

To me, this implies smaller pieces for a higher price...

Bingo! once again proving the Part count BS.

Here's all the modulars by weight (ref Bricklink):

CC - 2591 (grams)

GG - 3180

MS - 1780

FB - 2761

GE - 2903

PS - 2820

TH - 3825

PC - 2770

PR - 2610

DO - 2624

Reduction? Yes, but still higher than CC was... but CC was empty inside.

I have a somewhat weird and specific photo request. I'd be really grateful if someone would be able to do this for me.

I have the Parisian Restaurant and the Detective's Office and am loving both of them. I think they're great sets as-is and have no immediate plans to modify them. Looking at them head-on, I have them connected with the Restaurant on the left and the Office on the right.

Here is the request: I am thinking about picking up the Pet Shop, and would like to see how it looks next to the Detective's Office - but if I were to get the set, I would reverse the order of the brownstone apartment building and the blue pet shop. I would put the pet shop on the left and the apartment on the right, the inverse of how it appears in the promotional pictures. Would someone with both the DO and the Pet Shop please take a picture of the sets connected in this order, from left to right: DO, PS Pet Shop, PS apartment? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Scrib

I'm glad you posted this. I had seen a 'shopped image earlier in this thread I below. A massive improvement! This modular will be the first that I mod extensively.

In that regard... It's slightly disappointing as it's the same price as the PR, has >200 fewer pieces, and you have to add an additional floor to make it look "right."

On the plus side- now the detective has an apartment. Mod it with a creaky Murphy bed a lá Eddie Valiant.

Edited by ritzcrackerman

Argh wish I have enough of the right bricks to do this! At the moment if I try it's going to look like a colorful mess up there

A bar á la Restaurant Parisienne....?

12037922464_21d3878030_z.jpg

Oooo...lovely, but I was thinking something a bit seedier. With a name like Highlander it needs to be frequented by the ski cap wearing LEGO minifigures. ;)

Edited by Poisso3

Oooo...lovely, but I was thinking something a bit seedier. With a name like Highlander it needs to be frequented by the ski cap wearing LEGO minifigures. ;)

True, maybe this is too decent for a Poolhall... Hope my second set is sent to me these days, so i can make a start with my expansion on the DO. Planned to make it 16+8 studs wider.

True, maybe this is too decent for a Poolhall... Hope my second set is sent to me these days, so i can make a start with my expansion on the DO. Planned to make it 16+8 studs wider.

Can't get my wife to agree with getting another DO to do the same thing. I think wider would make both the bar and barber shop a lot better.

You can us the 2nd mirror for the bar, too...