Blakbird

"Incredible Technic" Wallpapers

Very nice Blakbird! I"m going to buy the book, but being able to watch these images in their full-size glory is amazing :thumbup::wub:

I also spotted this beautiful truck. I've never seen the model, even though the Brickshelf page says it's from 2011.

Very nice Blakbird! I"m going to buy the book, but being able to watch these images in their full-size glory is amazing :thumbup::wub:

I also spotted this beautiful truck. I've never seen the model, even though the Brickshelf page says it's from 2011.

This one is the mother of all LEGO Technic trucks, at least to me. When I saw Sariels teaser a couple of moths ago and that this one was in it, I preordered imediately. Thanks Blackbird for sharing.

I once asked you how long does it take to make such a render and and you said about half an hour If I remeber correctly. I still don't get how do you make'em so quickly. My computer struggled with 800x600 render in pov-ray from LDD for over than 18 hours and I have an i7 processor :cry_sad: Must be something in with the pov-ray setings or something...

Thanks again!

I once asked you how long does it take to make such a render and and you said about half an hour If I remeber correctly. I still don't get how do you make'em so quickly. My computer struggled with 800x600 render in pov-ray from LDD for over than 18 hours and I have an i7 processor :cry_sad: Must be something in with the pov-ray setings or something...

From the time I click "run" until I have an image is usually 15 to 30 minutes, but the time it takes to get the file to the point where I can click run is usually several hours. If I have to make the file from scratch, the process can be weeks or months.

My computer is unremarkable. Just a mid-range Dell laptop. When I first started rendering in 2007 I spent weeks and weeks playing with settings to get everything to look good and run fast, and I've pretty much stuck with those settings ever since.

Yes, I understand the effort it takes to make an LDraw file. Has anyone ever tried to make a render out of LDD via LDD to POV-Ray converter? Is it possible that rendering out of MLCad is less demanding for the computer than that from LDD? Are there any threads with a bit of step by step tutorial or something similar for LDD renders and MLCad as well? I'd appreciate it, thx.

Oh, and what software do you use, Blakbird?

Edited by MajklSpajkl

I must say that the idea of doing those cutaway or visible renders of the inner mechanics was a brilliant idea. They all look absolutely fantastic.

Yes, I understand the effort it takes to make an LDraw file. Has anyone ever tried to make a render out of LDD via LDD to POV-Ray converter? Is it possible that rendering out of MLCad is less demanding for the computer than that from LDD? Are there any threads with a bit of step by step tutorial or something similar for LDD renders and MLCad as well? I'd appreciate it, thx.

Oh, and what software do you use, Blackbird?

Check the LDD forum here on Eurobricks. There are lots of tutorials. I've also written a series of tutorials for HispaBrick magazine. I've never used LDD to POV-Ray converter, so I can't comment on it's efficiency. I will say that LGEO parts which are written in native POV-Ray language code are much more efficient than just meshing a part with triangles. However, geometry size is not the main factor in render time. The main factor is lighting. If you are using HDR lights or radiosity, the render takes MUCH longer and the settings you use for these has a huge impact.

I use MLCAD as an editor, LDView as a viewer and POV-Ray converter, and POV-Ray to render. I use the LGEO library for parts whenever possible.

The bottom picture of the cutaway chassis is my favorite. :classic:

The cutaway images are my favourite ones!!! Blackbird thanks for sharing them with us.....you deserve a medal!!!!!!!!!!

I must say that the idea of doing those cutaway or visible renders of the inner mechanics was a brilliant idea. They all look absolutely fantastic.

I could look at this for hours. In fact I just spent the last 30 minutes going through some of those pictures. Especially the "mechanical" pictures. These could teach me a thing or two about how people did things. I wonder how you create them. First I thought it was just two images superimposed, but a closer look shows it probably isn't quite that simple. I also noticed that the wireframe renderer acts out a bit on transparent parts :P

Since everyone seems to like the cutaway renders so much, I decided to do a bunch more of them. Besides all those I did for the book, I've now gone back and done cutaway renders for 34 more excellent Technic MOCs. Like before, you can find them all in my Bricksafe gallery. There are now 86 in total, so see if you can find them all! Here are a few of my favorites from among the new images, including one or more I'm sure Erik Leppen will be happy to see!

Erik Leppen's Zonda:

640x480.jpg

CP5670's Annihilator:

640x480.jpg

Nico71's Roadster:

640x360.jpg

Grazi's Tow Truck: (amazing how complex it is even without any of the wires or hoses shown)

640x360.jpg

Madoca's Tatra:

640x360.jpg

Since everyone seems to like the cutaway renders so much

Of course! That's because they're awesome!

I'd not seen the tow truck before - that looks like an amazing model, absolute state of the art in the pre-PF days. I'm loving the extensible axle with the worm gear in the steering and drive train.