Sign in to follow this  
john cleese

Problems with BS / Is BrickShelf no more ???

Why has this issue been locked down to this completely unrelated thread? The one that balckbart set up on the website page asking why brickshelf had been shut down would have been the most logical imho to shut down. But, such arguing at this time is hopeless. We need to organise a concerted effort amongst EB members to ascertain what's happened. Anyone with access to Lugnet may like to add their voice to the questions being raised over there. What's more shocking though is the lack of questions coming in... but there again, I guess Brickshelf is a relatively minor website...

Why has this issue been locked down to this completely unrelated thread? The one that balckbart set up on the website page asking why brickshelf had been shut down would have been the most logical imho to shut down. But, such arguing at this time is hopeless.

Well first of all there was already another topic about it here that existed first. I closed this one while snefroe closed that one. To keep one topic open I reopened the one I had closed (this one) since I could see why he closed the one he did. They're both still about brickshelf afterall.

even though people are still talking about that maj is still up it does not have near the mocs that bs had

also is it possible that the fall of bs could lead to the fall of many other lego sites not supported by TLC because if you think about it bs was kind of a backbone for all the sites

Edited by black bart(artamus)

Why has this issue been locked down to this completely unrelated thread? The one that balckbart set up on the website page asking why brickshelf had been shut down would have been the most logical imho to shut down.
i agree... i wouldn't have never seen this discussion buried in this thread.

i'll add a sub-title to this thread title, so that people know where to discuss this ;-)

- BM

Edited by Brick Miner

That stinks. Thankfully I have all my photos backed up (not that I had many on there), but it was nice to surf through and see what other Lego enthusiasts were doing. *n*

What's more shocking though is the lack of questions coming in... but there again, I guess Brickshelf is a relatively minor website...

I guess that

I must say that I find it quite worrying.

The thing I'm wondering about mostly is, why it has been shut down (if actually has). I can't be for the reason of lack of funding. The google ads that were on the site should have raised a load of money. And even though the majority of people don't pay a thing to have their Brickshelf account, the people that do pay will also pay quite a lot when you add them up.

If it's just for the reason of lack of time, it would also be a bad excuse. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are gladly willing to help out in keeping the site up and running.

Let's wait for some official news from Kevin.

I must say that I find it quite worrying.

The thing I'm wondering about mostly is, why it has been shut down (if actually has). I can't be for the reason of lack of funding. The google ads that were on the site should have raised a load of money. And even though the majority of people don't pay a thing to have their Brickshelf account, the people that do pay will also pay quite a lot when you add them up.

If it's just for the reason of lack of time, it would also be a bad excuse. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are gladly willing to help out in keeping the site up and running.

Let's wait for some official news from Kevin.

There were premium BS accounts? I never even heard of such a thing.

It wasn't really about premium accounts. The thing you would get for paying for your Brickshelf folder was an add-free website. As well as a nicely colored 1x1 brick in front of your name. Beside that there was no real reason to actually pay. I was just based upon sort of fair-use policy. If you found Brickshelf usefull and use it a lot, pay some money to keep the thing up and running. It's a bit like lugnet where you pay based upon what you think it's worth (though lugnet requires a minimum deposit of $10)

This is bad news indeed. :-( I would visit Brickshelf almost daily. I (along with many people on this vey forum) had an account.

I guess those who were lucky enough to have copies of their pictures on their hard drive can perhaps transfer them over to maj.com, or another picture hosting site. Then we would not have so many red X's all over the place where our beloved pictures once were.

I hope this is only temporary (but by the looks of it, it is most likely permanent).

It just won't be the same without Brickshelf. :-(

----

Just as a side note, this was already hinted quite a while back in this thread (which was incidently created by me)

Deja vu anyone? :-/

Just as a side note, this was already hinted quite a while back in this thread (which was incidently created by me)

Deja vu anyone? :-/

I think it's rather unlikely that there is any relation to that. The message you pointed out was send out in 2005! And I think that even if he lost the sponser, the google ads that were on Brickshelf will certainly have paid well.

If this indeed is the end of Brickshelf, my guess will be that it's just a matter of time before someone will step up and start a similar website to get things going again. But still it's a shame that millions of linked images are broken now :( It's a big blow if this is permanent.

I'm glad I have a hard-copy of my own pictures, but there were lots and lots of others in there who might not be so fortunate. It would have been a lot better had we been given a warning about this. I have uploaded pictures as late as the day before yesterday and the moderation went swift. As if nothing was wrong.

To call BrickShelf a Back bone is really the right word. It was dedicated to LEGO. I have spend many hours just browsing around in there looking at peoples creations.

Got a bit of news which starts to clear up some things (in a negative way).

Jennifer (Peeron.com) posted a message on the Bricklink forums that they were on top of it to find a sollution for this situation. Dan (Peeron.com) also said the same thing on lugnet.

In my opinion this does say something about the whole situation (and about it being permanent, at least for now...)

You guys are such saps.

Tis a Friday the Thirteenth prank. :-D

That's April Fools...and Friday the 13th was yesterday :-P

Edit: Thanks for the information, Asuka and Dryw Filtiarn

Edited by Starwars4J

Wait, it really was a prank???

Highly doubt it. Why would Kevin do that?

It is puzzling, and worriesome(sp?) that without warning it just stopped working.

:'-( Hopefully it will get fixed.

This is troubling. *sad*

I really hope they're not gone for good. If so, at least some explanation would be nice.

If this persists, I might just move my stuff to Flickr or something.

Wait, it really was a prank???

This seems a bit harsh for a prank. Besides, has Brickshelf really done pranks before? And on the day after Friday the 13th?

It just doesn't add up... |-/