Sign in to follow this  
JimBee

WINTER BREAK: Honeydukes

The most famous magical candy store in the world, Honeydukes is located in the quiet town of Hogsmeade near Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It's filled to the brim with spellbound sweets. It has three floors, and includes and underground passageway to Hogwarts.

5406798538_55b1bdcc3f_z.jpg

The outside is decorates with mellow-colored bricks and panels, and features a cross-section view of the cellar.

5406191861_5d71787d40_z.jpg

Students and other passerby gaze into the store window that displays dishes of fudge and barrels full of other magical treats. From Chocolate Frogs to Every Flavor Beans, Honeydukes has it all!

5406192139_f3e2ca00ae_z.jpg

The back looks rather bland...

5406192313_b78f2a23c1_z.jpg

...nut opens up to reveal the inside! Hermione, Malfoy, and Oliver Wood browse the array of candies Honeyduke's has to offer while the owner observes quietly behind the desk. Beware of the Bogart in the attic!

5406039673_ebffd49f89_z.jpg

"Mischief Managed!"

Gallery

Looking great so far JB! The orange brick wall on the second level and the smashed wall on the ground floor are all well done and give a very realistic effect. Can't wait to see the the completion of the interiors. :wink:

I really like what you've got so far JB! The cellar looks awesome, and I really wasn't expecting it to open up the way that it does.

It looks like it's going to be pretty difficult to get the interior integrated in there, but I'm sure you have some planned way to do it. Although the opening technique is great, I'd say scrap it if you have to in favor of a full interior, but I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Hi JB!

The cellar looks awesome with the broken walls, I would suggest to play more with the lights when taking pictures of it, it would look even more realistic. Opening of the top floor is great. Is that ice hanging from the roof? Looks great, but than you would need some snow on the roof as well. I would like to see more studs, but that is only because I'm a classic fan.

Cool entry !

The cellar design is sweet but, for some reason I don't like these orange tiles. They do look good, but for some reason I think it doesn't fit the outside very well.

As for the inside, that door looks so ugly :sick: It's not your fault of course,

That is one of the most horrible pieces of the LEGO collection. That arch looks okay on the outside but the inside is really bad ! why couldn't LEGO just fill the voids ? May I suggest you replace it with the new door ?( if you have one ?? )

As the second floor is empty, there is not much to say about it for now. BUT I must say that I seriously doubt you'll get much Candy in it... Well I'll have to wait to see the final result and judge it again :tongue:

I really like the orange pieces on the front of this, I think they blend well with the other colors used but still gives a nice pop of color.

I also like the cutout into the cellar on the front, and how you made it into the shop on top. The only thing that kinda bugs me is that it looks like the shop is floating in midair when I look at it from the front. Maybe if a small sidewalk was made around the front of the shop it would fix that. It would break up the structure just enough so your eyes would see it as two different levels.

I can't wait to see how you decorate the inside, I always find that is my favorite part to put together.

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone. It really helps that I can make my entry better.

It looks like it's going to be pretty difficult to get the interior integrated in there, but I'm sure you have some planned way to do it. Although the opening technique is great, I'd say scrap it if you have to in favor of a full interior, but I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Yeah, this will be especially difficult because the inside is so small. I'll probably end up with shelves lining the walls, a service desk, and some barrels full of candy in the front. I may also have to remove some of the dark brown tiles so that these pieces can stay in place.

The cellar looks awesome with the broken walls, I would suggest to play more with the lights when taking pictures of it, it would look even more realistic. Opening of the top floor is great. Is that ice hanging from the roof? Looks great, but than you would need some snow on the roof as well. I would like to see more studs, but that is only because I'm a classic fan.

Play with the lights how? If you mean the pictures look unrealistic, I'd agree, because I took these with varying amounts of sunlight (clouds). I was forced to edit out the shadows that the exterior shots had. I also need a new backdrop. default_tong.gif

Yes, those are icicles. I will add some white slopes for snow, thanks for the suggestion.

The cellar design is sweet but, for some reason I don't like these orange tiles. They do look good, but for some reason I think it doesn't fit the outside very well.

I think the pictures might be a bit brighted out due to the sun, causing the tiles to appear more vibrant than they really are. You might still think they don't match, but let me know what you think when I retake the pictures this weekend in more stable environment.

As for the inside, that door looks so ugly :sick: It's not your fault of course,

That is one of the most horrible pieces of the LEGO collection. That arch looks okay on the outside but the inside is really bad ! why couldn't LEGO just fill the voids ? May I suggest you replace it with the new door ?( if you have one ?? )

I actually didn't realize how much that stuck out until you pointed it out. default_laugh_new.gif Unfortunately, the only arches I have that would fit the door are light bley, and I like the stone pattern of the door on the outside. I'll try to cover this up when I work on the interior.

I also like the cutout into the cellar on the front, and how you made it into the shop on top. The only thing that kinda bugs me is that it looks like the shop is floating in midair when I look at it from the front. Maybe if a small sidewalk was made around the front of the shop it would fix that. It would break up the structure just enough so your eyes would see it as two different levels.

Ah, good point. I know exactly what you mean. Adding a walk outside will also be a good opportunity to add snow. Thanks for the suggestion.

This looks amazing, Jim Butcher! The brickwork is fantastic, and the cave underneath is stunning. I can't wait to see it finished. Good luck!

Excellent entry! It looks accurate and is highly detailed. I too particualrly like the brick work and the cellar. :thumbup:

Extremely well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Play with the lights how?

I meant, that even if not on your main photos, but maybe in your gallery somehow, you could take some pictures with different lights of the cellar. For example I would turn all lights down, almost off, and take two small flashlights, one blue from the front (you can put a blue transparent whatever in front of the normal light), so that the shadows on the back wall show the shape of the front hole, and one white to infiltrate from the left side hole, to make a ray of light through the whole cellar. Yeah I know I am a bit too in the details, but this cellar is just so amazing, that I would like to see it like that, a little creepy, a little weird.

Something like this I mean:

2675723361_f7aa59c287.jpg

The first post has been updated with new pictures and a proper description. Please take a look and tell me what you think! default_classic.gif

Looking great, Jimbee! That earth orange cobblestone wall is stunning. :wub: I like the technique you used for the desk; very nice and efficient. I like the fact that it opens up, it reminds me somewhat of a dollhouse. You don't hear this often from me, but that gaping and potentially structurally-weakening hole on the first floor looks fantastic! The interior is lovely. :thumbup:

This is definitely a contender, and has one of my three votes.

You don't hear this often from me, but that gaping and potentially structurally-weakening hole on the first floor looks fantastic!

Thanks, cralegoboy! default_satisfied.gif Yes, trust me, I got more than a little frustrated when the whole thing collapsed right before I was ready to take pictures of the final version last night.

Great Honeydukes, JimButcher! I really like the colours and the work with the tiles on the walls. The interior is also pretty, although simple but it's still nice. I like the Bogart in the attic. The cellar is a really nice addition, with the stone work and everything. It gives a weird picture of the building though, without a pavement or something. Good luck! :classic: