Jump to content


Review: Stormtrooper Alarm Clock


33 replies to this topic

#1 Solscud007

Solscud007

    Posts: 1556
    Joined: 17-August 10
    Member: 12637
    Country: USA

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:20 PM

Posted Image
I saw the post about the Stormtrooper and Darth Vader alarm clock. I then saw a post that they are on sale at Kmart.

I ran to the nearest Kmart and picked up the Stormtrooper on sale for $22.49 USD.

It is a neat giant mini fig. I only have one issue, and that is the fact that the head is not poseable. You cannot rotate the head. You can push the head down a little and it deactivates the alarm and/or activates the side LEDs to illuminate the clock face.

Only thing this needs is a lego stormtrooper gun to scale of this giant figure.


Here is the receipt
Posted Image




Picture of the box.  Ignore the little Stormtrooper minifig. I threw that in there so you get and idea of scale.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image




Here is what you see when you open the box.
Posted Image

Instructions.
Posted Image





Posted Image



Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The back of the Stormtrooper.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by KimT, 27 November 2010 - 02:35 PM.


#2 Oky

Oky

  • I am O-ky, English-German relations


    Posts: 8974
    Joined: 02-October 07
    Member: 2028
    Country: USA

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:35 PM

Cool, thanks for the review! Do you think you can show us a pic of the illuminated face?
Also, you should totally take a pic of the giant stormie about to step on the Vader minifig! :laugh:

#3 prateek

prateek

  • Study hard!


    Posts: 10405
    Joined: 09-July 05
    Member: 426
    Country: Canada

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

Cool! I want one now. Can you post a picture of this lit up?

BTW, you only paid $0.79 tax! That's insanely low.

#4 Solscud007

Solscud007

    Posts: 1556
    Joined: 17-August 10
    Member: 12637
    Country: USA

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:52 PM

View Postprateek, on 31 October 2010 - 09:44 PM, said:

Cool! I want one now. Can you post a picture of this lit up?

BTW, you only paid $0.79 tax! That's insanely low.

There is a picture of it lit up. The face does not light up. I didnt see anything mentioned in the Instructions.

The picture of the Stormie holding up the Chrome and Black troopers. His tummy is lit up.

#5 prateek

prateek

  • Study hard!


    Posts: 10405
    Joined: 09-July 05
    Member: 426
    Country: Canada

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

View PostSolscud007, on 31 October 2010 - 09:52 PM, said:

There is a picture of it lit up. The face does not light up. I didnt see anything mentioned in the Instructions.

The picture of the Stormie holding up the Chrome and Black troopers. His tummy is lit up.
Okay. So it glows orange? I like blue better, but whatever...

#6 Solscud007

Solscud007

    Posts: 1556
    Joined: 17-August 10
    Member: 12637
    Country: USA

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:18 PM

View PostOky Wan Kenobi, on 31 October 2010 - 09:35 PM, said:

Cool, thanks for the review! Do you think you can show us a pic of the illuminated face?
Also, you should totally take a pic of the giant stormie about to step on the Vader minifig! :laugh:


Here you go.  Oh yeah the sales tax in that area is only 3.5%!!!!  I just realized the confusion. FBTB mentions an "Illuminated Face". That description is vague. We never considered the fact that the description was refering to the clock's face. Not the mega-fig face.

I guess I will dub these MEGA-FIGS. cause they are not Mini hehe.

Posted Image

Edited by Solscud007, 31 October 2010 - 10:28 PM.


#7 CorneliusMurdock

CorneliusMurdock

  • Adorable


    Posts: 7328
    Joined: 09-March 10
    Member: 9860
    Country: USA

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:32 PM

What does the alarm sound like?  Annoying, too loud, not loud enough?  Is it just beeping or music?

Looks awesome btw.  If I got one, though, it would have to be my main alarm clock and functionality is important.

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


#8 Solscud007

Solscud007

    Posts: 1556
    Joined: 17-August 10
    Member: 12637
    Country: USA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:01 AM

View PostCorneliusMurdock, on 31 October 2010 - 11:32 PM, said:

What does the alarm sound like?  Annoying, too loud, not loud enough?  Is it just beeping or music?

Looks awesome btw.  If I got one, though, it would have to be my main alarm clock and functionality is important.


It is just a beeping sound.  :sceptic:

#9 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21423
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:19 AM

*huh*
They actually included batteries! :laugh:
(yes, I'm aware this is not a LEGO set by TLG, but still)
So even with the locked head, this is still more poseable than the maquettes, right?

#10 Solscud007

Solscud007

    Posts: 1556
    Joined: 17-August 10
    Member: 12637
    Country: USA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:29 AM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 01 November 2010 - 12:19 AM, said:

*huh*
They actually included batteries! :laugh:
(yes, I'm aware this is not a LEGO set by TLG, but still)
So even with the locked head, this is still more poseable than the maquettes, right?


Yep. Legs and arms move like a normal Minifig.

#11 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21423
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:35 AM

View PostSolscud007, on 01 November 2010 - 12:29 AM, said:

Yep. Legs and arms move like a normal Minifig.
Nice. A pity there isn't a cover to go over the display when you want to use him in an MOC.

#12 Oky

Oky

  • I am O-ky, English-German relations


    Posts: 8974
    Joined: 02-October 07
    Member: 2028
    Country: USA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:01 AM

View PostSolscud007, on 31 October 2010 - 10:18 PM, said:

I just realized the confusion. FBTB mentions an "Illuminated Face". That description is vague. We never considered the fact that the description was refering to the clock's face. Not the mega-fig face.
Oh. That makes more sense I guess. I was wondering how the hell a black Vader head could illuminate. :wacko: Thanks. Thanks for the funny pic too! :thumbup:

View PostSolscud007, on 01 November 2010 - 12:29 AM, said:

Yep. Legs and arms move like a normal Minifig.
Hands too?

It might be a nice challenge MOCing a blaster for this guy. :sweet:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi, 01 November 2010 - 01:03 AM.


#13 Solscud007

Solscud007

    Posts: 1556
    Joined: 17-August 10
    Member: 12637
    Country: USA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:06 AM

View PostOky Wan Kenobi, on 01 November 2010 - 01:01 AM, said:

Oh. That makes more sense I guess. I was wondering how the hell a black Vader head could illuminate. :wacko: Thanks. Thanks for the funny pic too! :thumbup:


Hands too?

It might be a nice challenge MOCing a blaster for this guy. :sweet:


Yep. Hands rotate at the wrist.

I was thinking about it. But getting the angle of the blaster grip will be a bit of a challenge.

#14 Churchill

Churchill

    Posts: 441
    Joined: 03-July 09
    Member: 6563
    Country: USA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:13 AM

I got the Darth Vader- I really like it, but I wish it was more functional- you can't have it lit all the time, so you can't see it at night unless you push the head (and wake up your wife), and I wish it was a radio too...

#15 CommanderFox

CommanderFox

  • Can't remember his own name


    Posts: 3368
    Joined: 26-February 09
    Member: 5406
    Country: New Zealand

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:55 AM

Thanks for the review Solscud007 :thumbup:
He doesn't look half bad, but I agree with Brickdoctor that it would have been nice if it had a cover to go over the alarm display.
Thats cool his legs, arms and hands rotate. :thumbup:
Nice funny shot! :sweet:

CF

Edited by CommanderFox, 01 November 2010 - 01:56 AM.

My Brickshelf!. The Brick Hope.
Anime and Manga fan, feel free to discuss anything anime on my profile :)
                                          CommanderFox playing as Ollivander Dippet for Gryffindor in Harry Potter Wizards Duel!
Posted ImagePosted Image - Kiwi Bricks

#16 Shawn

Shawn

    Posts: 84
    Joined: 18-March 10
    Member: 9964

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:37 AM

View PostCommanderFox, on 01 November 2010 - 01:55 AM, said:

Thanks for the review Solscud007 :thumbup:
He doesn't look half bad, but I agree with Brickdoctor that it would have been nice if it had a cover to go over the alarm display.
Thats cool his legs, arms and hands rotate. :thumbup:
Nice funny shot! :sweet:

CF

Did it come with the minifig?  Anything special about the minifig, or is it identical to the standard stormies.

#17 Solscud007

Solscud007

    Posts: 1556
    Joined: 17-August 10
    Member: 12637
    Country: USA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:53 AM

View PostShawn, on 01 November 2010 - 02:37 AM, said:

Did it come with the minifig?  Anything special about the minifig, or is it identical to the standard stormies.


No i just put the minifig in for scale. I actually made that disclaimer in my post.

View PostChurchill, on 01 November 2010 - 01:13 AM, said:

I got the Darth Vader- I really like it, but I wish it was more functional- you can't have it lit all the time, so you can't see it at night unless you push the head (and wake up your wife), and I wish it was a radio too...


Nah, radio is a bit much. However I would like a feature to deactivate the beeping sound.

#18 Oky

Oky

  • I am O-ky, English-German relations


    Posts: 8974
    Joined: 02-October 07
    Member: 2028
    Country: USA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:01 AM

View PostSolscud007, on 01 November 2010 - 02:53 AM, said:

No i just put the minifig in for scale. I actually made that disclaimer in my post.
It's a bit misleading though when you say "here is what you see when you open the box". I was confused at first too.

View PostSolscud007, on 01 November 2010 - 02:53 AM, said:

I would like a feature to deactivate the beeping sound.
So, does it beep every time you hit the head? That sucks. :sceptic:

#19 Solscud007

Solscud007

    Posts: 1556
    Joined: 17-August 10
    Member: 12637
    Country: USA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:30 AM

View PostOky Wan Kenobi, on 01 November 2010 - 03:01 AM, said:

It's a bit misleading though when you say "here is what you see when you open the box". I was confused at first too.


So, does it beep every time you hit the head? That sucks. :sceptic:


It jsut means people need to read more closely hehe.  :laugh:

The text above the first box pic says:

View PostSolscud007, on 31 October 2010 - 09:20 PM, said:

Picture of the box.  Ignore the little Stormtrooper minifig. I threw that in there so you get an idea of scale.


#20 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

    Posts: 9541
    Joined: 04-February 09
    Member: 5203
    Country: PILIPINAS

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:47 AM

Very interesting! Neat review, thanks for sharing Solscud! :thumbup: Now I also want one, hope it'll become available in our place soon. :classic:

NEW! Legends of Chima Review: 70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

My Eurobricks Page / My flickr / My MOCpages


#21 Skafte

Skafte

    Posts: 296
    Joined: 13-November 08
    Member: 4365
    Country: Sweden

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the review, I need one of these more the more I see them! I hope they appear in Sweden soon.
Brick or treat!

#22 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 8173
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:59 AM

It looks nice enough.  I think I'll hold out for Luke though.
Posted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 47 In Heroica RPG, In The Hall
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#23 Solscud007

Solscud007

    Posts: 1556
    Joined: 17-August 10
    Member: 12637
    Country: USA

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:54 PM

View PostMasked Builder, on 02 November 2010 - 12:59 AM, said:

It looks nice enough.  I think I'll hold out for Luke though.


GL with that. I havent researched it, but I have only heard of Lukes sighted in Canada.

#24 AFOL SF

AFOL SF

    Posts: 307
    Joined: 01-January 08
    Member: 2362

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

...I first saw both Stormtrooper and Darth Vader alarm clocks on eBay a few weeks ago (selling for US$49.99 each plus shipping), so I checked the internet (out of curiosity of how much it really cost). Found it on Amazon.Com for US$29.99 each, no sales tax and no shipping. Bought the Stormtrooper for myself and Darth Vader for my wife (birthday gift). Will open both around Christmas-time. So if you don't have a K-Mart nearby, your best best is to buy it online. Hope this helps to those who wants one or two...

#25 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 8173
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:56 PM

View PostSolscud007, on 03 November 2010 - 02:54 PM, said:

GL with that. I havent researched it, but I have only heard of Lukes sighted in Canada.
Aw rats.
Posted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 47 In Heroica RPG, In The Hall
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users