Sign in to follow this  
LuxorV

Zoids - Liger Zero

Hi everybody, it's been a while since I saw these beautiful Zoids MOCs by kyoupon on BS (indeed about 1 year ago). Now, since I'm a fan of the series, I started thinking of a way to make my own versions.

I started with the LeoBlaze (EB thread), but I wasn't satisfied with just it.

I wanted to make a good Liger Zero and its CAS (Changing Armour System) on my own (even if still keeping kyoupon's spendid model as a base for my design).

Now, after long months of interfering IRL matters, I have completed it/them :classic:

Let's start with Liger Zero basic form:

ligerzero_001.jpg

It is very similar to kyoupon's one, for obvious reasons, even if I introduced some minor changes in the design.

One of it's most iconic images: the roaring pose (ok, it's difficult to make a LEGO mini-model roar in a convincing style :sceptic::wacko: )

ligerzero_007.jpg

Another classic move: Strike Laser Claws (which also explains [apart from my limited pieces availability :laugh: ] the trans-yellow cheese slopes on the cheeks; you shoul know the series to get it, or you can just watch

)

ligerzero_008.jpg

But Liger Zero's speciality is the ability of changing the armour system to face different opponents and combat styles; here are the 3 CAS sets

ligerzero_011.jpg

from left to right: Jager (Hunter in German), Schneider (Cutter or Tailor in German) and Panzer (Tank or Armour in German)

Here you can se Liger Zero without the standard armour and before 'dressing' with the CAS

ligerzero_016.jpg

btw, the original Liger Zero does not change the head as a whole, but it was easier to make it this way in LEGO form :blush:

Liger Zero gallery

Strangely enough, even if presented in the above order in the anime version of Zoids, the right order of the CAS sets is: CP-17 Schneider Unit, CP-20 Jager Unit and CP-21 Panzer Unit.

We'll follow this order for our review :wink:

CP-17 Schneider Unit: used for close combat, it features 5 blades around the head and two on the sides, plus an in-built energy shield

ligerzeroschneider_002.jpg

unfortunately, at least for now I could only apply 3 blades around the head; the rest is quite faithful to the original.

Liger Zero Schneider gallery

CP-20 Jager Unit: used for high speed combat and scouting missions, it features a pair of very big boosters on the back, along with stabilizing fins, and two machine-guns on the shoulders

ligerzerojager_003.jpg

the boosters are a bit blocky, but I think they work quite well.

Liger Zero Jager gallery

CP-21 Panzer Unit: almost inderstructible (even if quite taxing on the Zoid), this CAS is used for all-out combats against the strongest opponents; when everything else fails, the Panzer seems to be the only hope; it features two big hybrid cannons on the back and several concealed missil pods. It is worth noting that it is so heavy that Liger Zero can barely move when wearing it.

ligerzeropanzer_005.jpg

Probably the best of the three CAS models I built, and clearly my personal take on the design, different form kyoupon's.

Liger Zero Panzer gallery

Last, but not least, there are other two versions of the Liger Zero: the Zero Empire and the Zero X CAS.

Due to lack of other dark-blue pieces, I could only make the Liger Zero Empire: a red and gold recolour of the standard form (note: here the gold details had to be changed into silver, but I think it works too)

ligerzeroempire_004.jpg

note - this is not a CAS, it's another model that sits on my shelf next to the white Liger Zero

Liger Zero Empire gallery

I probably forgot to add something I wanted to say about these models, but I think I already annoyed you enough, so it's ok. Maybe it'll come out later :laugh:

EDIT - right, I wanted to add that the name Liger is a mix of Lion and Tiger; for some reason, the creators of the Zoids series couldn't be satisfied with just a Lion (on the other hand, the Tiger type of Zoids exists independently).

Comments and critics are welcome, and again, credit for the basic model goes to BS member kyoupon.

LuxorV

I haven't seen Zoids in years, but these bring back great memories. :cry_happy: They are all superb, and while I don't look that often, they are still some of the better Zoids MOCs I've seen. Liger looks great, in all of his armors, and I would love to see some more Zoids from you in the future.

-'Skintasee

These are some nice zoids creations, and seeing these MOCs of yours, bring back lots of memories, and among those many mean machines, Liger Zero basic form is just too beautiful. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing it with us. It's great to see you doing some new MOCs once more.

Nice! :thumbup:

It's so cute~

I am really impressed with your CAS :classic:

It would be really nice if you make 3 more liger frames

so that you would have 4 of them in one time~

amazing creations. imagine if they really had these for sale! :D very very very very good job!! !:D

Amazing work, especially considering the size. Zoids are very difficult to replicate in Lego, but you have done an excellent job. :thumbup:

Hello!

Very clever and very flexible constructions here! :classic: You certainly know how to play with the new slope types. Personally I like the dark blue creature best for his evil yellow glowing eye.

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Nice Liger Zero :thumbup:

I was never fond of New Century Zero (I prefer Chaotic Century myself) but that is one great Zoid.

Sadly I am not so good at combining my two great hobbies into one.

The extra units are very impressive additions to a great MOC.

As a Zoids fan and a Lego fan :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Neat. :thumbup: I remember watching that show. Like Mraz 'Skintas, I haven't seen it in years, but it stands out as one of the more different shows I remember seeing.

Thanks for the feedback, people :blush:

I think these are some of the best, as for overall complexity and style, MOCs I ever made :classic:

It would be really nice if you make 3 more liger frames

so that you would have 4 of them in one time~

Well, apart form pieces availability, I prefer to keep them as separate interchangeable parts, since this is what they are in the original line.

On the other hand, I can save some parts for building other Zoids to confront the Liger Zero.

LuxorV

Those are pretty accurate if I remember Zoids correctly. You got all the colours correct and the weapons look pretty spot on.

Good job LuxorV!

Oh I remember watching Zoids oh so long ago, it was a great show!

Your Zoids look fantastic! I love the fact that all of the armor is interchangeable just like the show was.

Thumbs up to you. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Your Zoids look fantastic! I love the fact that all of the armor is interchangeable just like the show was.

Thumbs up to you. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you; that was one of my greatest concerns while building them, along with the accuracy in reproducing the original design (given the 'mini' scale) and having a reasonably sturdy final product :classic:

LuxorV