UCS Scale TIE Shadow

12 replies to this topic

#1 Walter Kovacs

Walter Kovacs

• Tooting his own horn

Member: 3106

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

Posted Image
In my insane fool's errand to design and build at least one UCS scale version of every TIE Alternate (I've counted 44 thusfar, and I'm sure there are others I've missed), I have been looking for ships that share common elements, so that I can re-use designs, and save myself some headaches.  

I found some of these similarities when I compared the TIE Shadow to the TIE Clutch.  The hull section of the Shadow and Clutch appear to be identical, and the cockpit ball of each ship are very similar.  And so, I give you my TIE Shadow:

Posted Image

The major difference between the Shadow and the Clutch are the wings.  While the Clutch has stubby, angular wings, the Shadow has much longer, elegently curved wings.  I tried to emulate the curves as best I could, but it isn't easy to achieve in LEGO.  The hull section is completely unchanged from the TIE Clutch model, so I decided not to focus on that area in my photography, or in this thread.  

Posted Image

This side view really shows how I tried to emulate the wing curvature.  It looks good, but I feel like there is room for improvement.  Any suggestions here are welcome, even if it requires a radical philosophy change.  

Posted Image

This back view is one of my favorite photos that I took.  I feel like it really shows off quite a bit of what this model has to offer.  

Posted Image

I promised that I would take a better photo of the cockpit interior, and here it is.  Onions disagrees with the amount ot printed pieces (and I do concede he has a good point), and it will be something I will take into consideration on future designs.  Or if I ever revise this design.  

Just for comparison purposes, here are the cockpit balls of the TIE Shadow and the TIE Clutch, so that you can see the differences.  The Shadow lacks the laser battery below the windscreen, and has what looks like an intake on the sides.

Here is the link to the full gallery, when public.  

Any Comments and Constructive Criticism is welcome.
Apes suck!
Missiles deployed!

Currently playing as Winnifred in Tamamono's Party Lines Mafia.

#2 liquidcross

liquidcross

Member: 4942

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

I love the greebling around the engine area. Looks fantastic!

The only recommendation I have is that the white panels in the cockpit stand out a bit much; I think all gray ones would look a bit better.
Posted Image
(and don't forget Text and Violence)

#3 k_peek_2000

k_peek_2000

Member: 5602

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

These just get cooler and cooler!!! Was it made using the same base model as the Tie Clutch?

#4 Walter Kovacs

Walter Kovacs

• Tooting his own horn

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

View Postk_peek_2000, on Apr 16 2009, 11:32 AM, said:

These just get cooler and cooler!!! Was it made using the same base model as the Tie Clutch?

Yes, the rear of the hull is the same one as the TIE Clutch (one of the reasons I could get it built and photo'd quickly).  

Don't get too excited about the progression.  The Clutch and Shadow are two of my latest designs.  The next one I will build is my earliest, the TIE Bomber.  You should be able to see a marked difference in my designing skills.  

View Postliquidcross, on Apr 16 2009, 09:18 AM, said:

I love the greebling around the engine area. Looks fantastic!

The only recommendation I have is that the white panels in the cockpit stand out a bit much; I think all gray ones would look a bit better.

I used the white tiles in the cockpit as opposed to light gray purely based on economics.  Light gray are expensive; white are much less so.  The white 2 x 2 slope in the cockpit was chosen based on the pattern.  I could have thrown any printed slope, but I liked the pattern on the white one, so I went with it.  

Thanks for the comments, guys.
Apes suck!
Missiles deployed!

#5 Skipper 24

Skipper 24

• I live in Engalnd

Member: 1851

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

The amount of greebling on the engine pod is insane. It looks really good although the cockpit interior maybe overly complicated IMO. The guns are very sleek. Good work :thumbup: .
Posted Image <-- Thanks Hound Knight
Flickr Brickshelf

#6 LEGOscum

LEGOscum

• X-Rated snide note

Member: 1151

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

Zawowee kablowee that's intense!

But the cockpit doesn't have a cupholder to tasty beverages.
Jeremy - LEGO assembly robot

Expert Consultant: LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary
Writer: Star Wars Insider Magazine
Author: Official Guide To Star Wars Memorabilia
Email: legoscum@gmail.com

#7 Walter Kovacs

Walter Kovacs

• Tooting his own horn

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

View PostSkipper 24, on Apr 16 2009, 02:21 PM, said:

The amount of greebling on the engine pod is insane. It looks really good although the cockpit interior maybe overly complicated IMO. The guns are very sleek. Good work :thumbup: .

You're the second person to make that comment.  I'll tone it down a bit in future endevours.

View PostLEGOscum, on Apr 16 2009, 02:43 PM, said:

Zawowee kablowee that's intense!

But the cockpit doesn't have a cupholder to tasty beverages.

I'll see what I can do  :wink:
Apes suck!
Missiles deployed!

#8 sigmeister

sigmeister

Member: 5790

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:52 AM

Very nice MOC! At first I thought this was the TIE phantom; I didn't know there was a TIE shadow.

#9 CloneCommanderDelta7

CloneCommanderDelta7

Member: 4742

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

I instantly thought that it was going to be big once I saw the wings when the pic was loading.   Great work, it looks like an X-wing, Imperial style!

Edited by CloneCommanderDelta7, 19 April 2009 - 09:17 AM.

"Fly for the Empire"
"Build it Right, Make it Bite"

Still Mutilating Clones or making them better.  I dunno maybe you should ask them yourself?

Links - YouTube - Brickshelf - Flickr
"If you have a PS3 and an account, then PM me & maybe I'll add you to my friends list!!!"

A very mean-looking CRF250R '10.  

#10 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

That´s a very impressive and wonderful work and a very cool looking TIE model indeed!  :thumbup:

#11 The Nightwing Reborn

The Nightwing Reborn

Member: 3173

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:08 AM

I never thought I'd like any of your TIEs more than the Predator, but you really do the Shadow justice. This is without a doubt my new favorite of your TIEs!
Posted Image

#12 Aramor

Aramor

Member: 5424

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

That's awesome. Can't really think of anything bad about it.

Also, about the cockpit, I think it's nice there are so many instruments and stuff in it. It reminds me of Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance.

#13 pedro

pedro

• Crazy Junction Master

Member: 1364

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Great work Walter, you've captured the wing shape nicely and I love the greeble-work!

I'm enjoying the special attention you're giving to the diverse range of TIE variants :thumbup:

Keep it up!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users