Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

The Death of Rubber Band Holders?

I'm assembling 7644 Hypersonic Operations Aircraft and I just got to bag two and I just had the shock of my life...

DSC01738es.JPG

DSC01740es.JPG

No! Not the cute little Rock Monsters! They just helped me in exchange for a shiny pebble. :wink: I'm talking about the rubber band cardboard pouch. :cry_sad: Some people might know that this...

41753.jpg

...is one of my favourite parts as while it's just LEGO rubbish it is also useful for parts. I recently accumulated enough to be able to use them for something...

DSC01258es.JPG

...and I was looking forward to finding more uses, but it looks like I'm going to need to go to BrickLink in future. :sceptic:

Anyone else notice this in 7644 or other sets? Conversely, anyone notice the old holder in a new set? Looking at Peeron 2008 had a few sets with it still, so hopefully this isn't the end.

(Or am I just weird? :blush: )

I've never used the rubber band holders, although I have loads, maybe I could put them on Bricklink sometime. :tongue:

I found in the most recent set I had with rubber bands that they came in a box. I think it was the small Power Miners set with the orange barb that goes in and out. This may well be the death of rubber band holders! :oh3:

:skull:

None of the 09 sets released so far have the old holders - all the rubber bands and cloaks I've got this year came in the new cardboard sleeves.

In fact, I think one of the early 09 Star Wars reviews on EB here was the first to note it... EDIT: Here it is, ReZourceman's review of the AAT from 22 Dec mentions the change.

You know, I did think to mention this to you after seeing your Last Man entry but I obviously got distracted :cry_sad: Probably for the best... a few more weeks of blissful ignorance... :tongue:

Interesting that they went back and did another production run of 7644 though - it must have hit clearance fairly soon afterwards. Now I know what you got in today's battered S@H delivery! :wink: I bought it cheap just before Xmas and it still had the old holder.

Still, if purple can come back, anything can happen*

*disclaimer: actually, I'm pretty sure the old holders are likely to be gone forever.

I wonder, they must be cheapy cheap to pick up on bricklink though?

"I wonder, they must be cheapy cheap to pick up on bricklink though?"

They are - I got one for pennies recently, although in dark bley rather than bley unfortunately.

Dr. D.

I smell a contest! Let's try to change TLG's decision to do away with them by holding a ...

Best Use for Rubber Band Holders Contest!

I'm only half joking here. :wink:

I smell a contest! Let's try to change TLG's decision to do away with them by holding a ...

Best Use for Rubber Band Holders Contest!

I'm only half joking here. :wink:

Actually I had the same thought! :tongue:

In fact, I think one of the early 09 Star Wars reviews on EB here was the first to note it... EDIT: Here it is, ReZourceman's review of the AAT from 22 Dec mentions the change.

Yeah, I read that review of the Republic Attack Shuttle ( :wink: ) and glossed over that point as he mentioned cloaks as well. I think I assumed he meant string... :blush:

You know, I did think to mention this to you after seeing your Last Man entry but I obviously got distracted :cry_sad: Probably for the best... a few more weeks of blissful ignorance... :tongue:

Indeed. Thanks, it's very appreciated!

Interesting that they went back and did another production run of 7644 though - it must have hit clearance fairly soon afterwards. Now I know what you got in today's battered S@H delivery! :wink: I bought it cheap just before Xmas and it still had the old holder.

<OffTopic>

Here's that box!

DSC01729es.JPG

That's exactly how it was when it arrived; I wonder who taped it! One set had a crushed box, but I've found no part damage. Other sets included Star Justice, Custom Car Garage (that was the crushed one), ETX Alien Infiltrator, Chameleon Hunter, Yoda Magnet Set.... and two ice cube trays; the BELVILLE one and a blue one! :tongue:

</OffTopic>

I wonder, they must be cheapy cheap to pick up on bricklink though?

I'll have to get some next time; I've been putting of BL orders though due to the exchange rate... :sceptic:

Hey sinner why were you buying mars mission? That theme blowed. I'm also disappointed that there arent any more holders. I'd actually put my rubber bands on them. Most of mine snapped anyway.

Hey sinner why were you buying mars mission?

50% off.... but I must admit that aside from the green-goo-guys, the lack of good mini-figs and oh-too-many trans-orange canopies I liked the line. Like Exo-Force it was reasonably priced with a good part variety. I suspect that the Space-Police sets will not be priced so well...

I'll have to get some next time; I've been putting of BL orders though due to the exchange rate... :sceptic:

Sinner, if you ever need any of these rubber band holders, let me know. I can post it to you at no cost. I got alot of these holders that serve no purpose to me anyway, and I remember that I threw a few back then, when I am ripping off my Castle Crossbow attack. :tongue:

Now that they've gone from production, they'll no doubt shoot up in value. It's like the brown German mechanic head from the Flying Wing all over again! :grin:

Like WhiteFang and probably many others, I tended to toss mine once I took the bands off, but if I find any I will put them aside for you.

When I built my 7676 AT-TE they were missing the rubber band holders as well, so this isn't a 2009 thing either. :hmpf_bad: Oh well I never used those pieces anyway...(Sinner this is your cue to come and take mine :tongue: )

Waitaminute, sinner you're buying ice cube trays? what would Hinckley do if he saw this? (he'd probably whine and moan like he always does.) Another good uses for these is filler for space inside a moc. And arent there two sizes? I have a million small ones form the bohrok.

I got alot of these holders that serve no purpose to me anyway, and I remember that I threw a few back then, when I am ripping off my Castle Crossbow attack. :tongue:
Like WhiteFang and probably many others, I tended to toss mine once I took the bands off, but if I find any I will put them aside for you.

Gee thanks guys, I'll be happy to take your trash! :tongue:

(Sinner this is your cue to come and take mine :tongue: )

I'll send you my address.... Only joking!

Waitaminute, sinner you're buying ice cube trays?

Yes, and I'm working on a review! :grin:

I would have given you mine, if you hadn't shown me that they actually have use. :tongue:

I'd love to see what a talented builder like you can come up with!

No more rubber band holders? Hinkley is gonna be pissed!

I gave him most of mine, but I got the feeling he didn't have nearly as many as he wanted.

That's weird I just got my freind the Hyena droid bomber for his birthday and his had plastic holders. Strange very strange...

That's weird I just got my freind the Hyena droid bomber for his birthday and his had plastic holders. Strange very strange...

Are you from North America or elsewhere?

There may be different holders coming from different production centres.

I bought the granite grinder (here in Italy) and it came with the small cardboard container. Review in progress, I was about to talk about it.

8958-11.jpg

Yet I kept all my (few) plastic holders, in my "spare parts" little box.

:cry_happy: Could it be true?! I'll have to keep eye out for variation of this set. Peeron says otherwise, so this could be a rare exception.

Y'now sinner, these holders cost .01 cents on bricklink. Why not just buy them all? I saw this guy with 800 of them for that price.

Y'now sinner, these holders cost .01 cents on bricklink. Why not just buy them all? I saw this guy with 800 of them for that price.

:tongue: At that price I should! I'll look into it; I could them be a Rubber Band holder pimp and sell them for a buck each!

:tongue: At that price I should! I'll look into it; I could them be a Rubber Band holder pimp and sell them for a buck each!

You could do a really nice feature wall with that amount, once you talk the wife into it.

Best of all, you can plug your collections directly into the wall via the technic holes. Think of all the display space you'd save!

Or maybe a fringy door curtain for the more retro-minded?

hollywooddoorcurtain.jpg

I bet there is someone out there in the world, somewhere, who has done this using ClikIts :laugh: